Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Egypt 1918

RRG7676

Hi!

I am trying to find out about a battle in which my great uncle was killed. Acting Corporal Stephen Davies was with the Welch Regiment serving in Egypt. He left Gallipoli in Dec 1915 and trained in Egypt for a year before moving into battle in Palestine. He fought at the battle of Gaza (Any information kindly received!) 1st, 2nd and 3rd and was with the regiment that apparently had the honour of mounting the first guard in Jerusalem (again any information kindly welcomed) he fell in March 1918 at Tell 'Asur. I would be most grateful for any information on this battle in Tell 'Asur.

Many thanks Rachael

Rachael,

details from the CWGC

Name: DAVIES

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/03/1918

Service No: 241090

Additional information: Husband of Gertrude Davies, late of Brithdin, Glam.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: L. 17.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY, Israel

Corporal Davies' regiment was part of the 158th Brigade of the 53rd Division

The Brief Record of Service gives the following

"March 8-9

A night advance over difficult ground resulted in the capture of Munatir Ridge by the 1/4th Cheshire; and 1/4th Welsh stormed Dar Jerir and Drage's Hill in the face of strong opposition. Tell Asur [altitude 3318 feet] was captured by1/5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at the point of the bayonet, and successfully held against three determined counter attacks; while 1/1st Herefords carried Chipp Hill after heavy fighting.

March 10th

158th and 159th Brigades captured important ridges in rapid succession and Kfar Malik was occupied at 1400."

I will also attach a map and panorama from the Official History

On the map, the red line shows the 53rd Division's position at 6 pm on the 8th

and the broken red line shows their position at 10 am on the 10th March 1918

[the dash-&-dot red line shows the final position on the 12th March 1918]

TelAsurMapMarch1918.jpg

TelAsurPanoramaMarch1918.jpg

I have no doubt that others will be able to help you with more information

regards

Michael

quote: "had the honour of mounting the first guard in Jerusalem"

This sounds a little bit general; the first guard where in Jerusalem?

As I said earlier, I feel sure that others will have more information for you than I have,

but until something more firm turns up then the attached picture may be of interest

It is captioned the 'First British Guard at the Jaffa Gate' and is from a collection held at the Library of Congress [uSA]

FirstBritishGuardatJaffaGate.jpg

• 2 months later...

Rachael,

details from the CWGC

"March 8-9

A night advance over difficult ground resulted in the capture of Munatir Ridge by the 1/4th Cheshire; and 1/4th Welsh stormed Dar Jerir and Drage's Hill in the face of strong opposition. Tell Asur [altitude 3318 feet] was captured by1/5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at the point of the bayonet, and successfully held against three determined counter attacks; while 1/1st Herefords carried Chipp Hill after heavy fighting.

March 10th

158th and 159th Brigades captured important ridges in rapid succession and Kfar Malik was occupied at 1400."

TelAsurMapMarch1918.jpg

regards

Michael

Michael,

I was just reading your post with rachel and i seen date of death 10th mar 1918 and this struck a cord with me.My great grand uncle Private Edward Mulroy 4/19741 was k i a on same day serving in the same area.Looking at your map also there seems there is a map recording a route taken by 10th division.Would this be thr 10th irish division which consisted of the 5th battalion of the royal irish fusiliers that my grt gr uncle was part of?I was always thought he died in Egypt?

James

James,

I hope that the following will be of use

10th Division

31st Infantry Brigade

5th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (ceased to belong to the E.E.F., 20/05/18]

from the CWGC

Name: MULROY

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom Rank:

Private Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Service No: 4/19741

Grave/Memorial Reference: J. 73.

from Brief Record of Service

"1918

March 9th. - After a winter spent in holding the positions gained, operations commenced on a front of 15,000 yards, with 31st and 30th Brigades forming the right column of attack, and 29th Brigade the left column.

Right Attack - A rapid attack by 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers forced the enemy to abandon strong positions on Sh. Kalrawany, near Bir ez Ziet and enabled

5th Royal Irish Fusiliers to capture Ras et Tarfu and Attara by 0920. In the evening the latter unit forced the crossing of the Wadi Jib and seized the lower slopes of the hill forming the main defence of Jiljilia. Farther to the left 6th Royal Munster Fusiliers and 1st Royal Irish Regiment pushed back the enemy and captured Ajul.

Left Attack - 5th Connaught Rangers occupied Neby Saleh at 0730, and 1st Leinsters also pushed forward; but progress was slow owing to exceptional difficulties of terrain.

March 10th - Right Attack - 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, supported by two companies of 5th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, captured the strong defences south of Jiljilia, and drove the enemy in disorder through the village on to the slopes beyond. A small party, commanded by a German officer, held out to the last, when they were overwhelmed by a bayonet charge. 5th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers captured Kh. Aliuta against opposition; Dublin Fusiliers captured the ridge west of Jiljilia in face of strong resistance.

Left Attack - Extraordinary difficulties were encountered in the attack on Arura and Holywood Hill, owing to precipitous nature of the Wadi Jib, which had to be crossed although swept by heavy oblique fire from numerous machine guns. In spite of this, however, 6th Royal Irish Rifles captured the lower slopes of Holywood Hill and Sh. Redwan by 0730. During the night 5th Connaught Rangers repulsed a counter-attack, and the enemy withdrew his line north of Wadi Gharib................................."

best regards

Michael

• 8 months later...

An old thread but I've recently been researching Capt Walter Read, who was in command of 1/5th Welsh's "A" Company which undertook the attack 10 March.

My notes from the war diary indicate that the battalion spent the night of 9/10 in the supprt line on Drage's Hill. At 4am, they advanced through the front line towards Spize (?sp) Hill taking this without opposition. They now came under heavy machine gun and rifle fire from Chipp Hill. Many casualties including Read.

Query then between the war diary account and the extract given by Michael above. If Chipp Hill had been captured by 1/Herefords on the 8/9th, how are the Turks still able to open heavy fire from there on the 10th. Was the position not fully secured or captured? Is one of the accounts wrong?

Second query - the war diary was difficult to read and the best I could come up with for the Welsh's objective was "Spize" Hill. Any better ideas what it must have been?

John

John

I can't answer your questions.

I have a four RWF casualties for the dates in question so Michaels' info and maps etc are informative for that purpose.

So Michael, if you read this , thank you for taking the time to type out the info and (possibly)resize and post the maps.

Looks like no one else did so! :-(

Hywyn

John

Can answer some now.

The History of the 53rd

At 4.30 am on the 10th...advance guards from the 7th Cheshires and 5th Welch marched on L.30.b and Q.25 central and towards Kefr Malik. Can't see anything looks like Spize.

hywyn

John,

As you might expect, the official history gives rather more detail than the 'Brief Record...'

from Mil Ops Egypt & Palestine (June '17 to the end) Part I

"After a heavy bombardment, in which the 91st Heavy Battery took part, Tell 'Asur was captured by the 5/R. Welch Fusiliers about 9.30 a.m., but the Hereford of the same brigade after capturing Chipp Hill to the north-east, was driven off it. Nor were the Turks prepared to lose Tell 'Asur without a struggle. They quickly counter-attacked to regain this wonderful observation post................................. They regained the summit but were driven off it by the 6/R. Welch Fusiliers, which had been moved up in relief of the 5th. In the next four hours the enemy launched four most determined but fruitless attacks. The 158th Brigade had not succeeded in retaking Chipp Hill when Major-General Mott learnt from Major-General Girdwood that the 74th Division would continue its advance to its objective as soon as it was dark, and gave orders for his own brigades to do likewise."

As I read it, this account seems to tie in more with the info which you already have

hywyn

Thanks for your kind remarks; glad to have been of help

Good luck both

Michael

• 8 months later...
Hi!

I am trying to find out about a battle in which my great uncle was killed. Acting Corporal Stephen Davies was with the Welch Regiment serving in Egypt. He left Gallipoli in Dec 1915 and trained in Egypt for a year before moving into battle in Palestine. He fought at the battle of Gaza (Any information kindly received!) 1st, 2nd and 3rd and was with the regiment that apparently had the honour of mounting the first guard in Jerusalem (again any information kindly welcomed) he fell in March 1918 at Tell 'Asur. I would be most grateful for any information on this battle in Tell 'Asur.

Many thanks Rachael

Hi Rachael

Not sure if this topic is still running but if it is...........Is your great uncle Stephen Davies the soldier commemorated on the Brithdir cenotaph?

Rachael,

details from the CWGC

"March 8-9

March 10th

TelAsurMapMarch1918.jpg

regards

Michael

This map is Wow!

Andrei

The 1/5th Welsh were the first guard on the Jaffa Gate for certain. The Guard was found by No. II Platoon, “C" Company, under the command of Lieutenant W. A. Woods.

This was done to ensure safe entry at 11 a.m. on 12th December 1917 for Sir Edmund Allenby's triumphant entrance into the City (Can't blame him for making a big scene, as it was a pretty historic moment!).

The History of the Welsh Regiment (Marden) states that the Turks hid away in isolated outposts- caves etc. and 'popped up' anywhere at any time. This is why there was further fire from Chipp Hill, as although it had been cleared, Turkish units moved back into areas after the British had moved on;

9th March 1917-

"The Herefords had come up on the left, and the two Battalions now found themselves confronted by heavy rifle and machine gun fire from Chipp Hill. The Herefords were ordered to take the hill, assisted by covering fire from the 4th Welch, and this they succeeded in doing by 7 a.m. This action cleared the flank of the 5th R.W.F., who had captured Cairn Hill, and who now commenced to assault Tell ‘Asur under an artillery bombardment. By 9.30 a.m. Tell ‘Asur was in their hands, but the Turks well knew the value of this vital position, and launching a strong counter-attack drove back the Herefords to Drage Hill, and also counterattacked Tell ‘Asur from the north, temporarily regaining the summit, but the 5th R.W.F. counter-attacked and drove them off. Both Battalions had suffered severely and were relieved, the Herefords by the 7th R.W.F. and the 5th R.W.F. by the 6th R.W.F., the latter repulsing several counter-attacks during the day.

The 74th Division had had heavy fighting during the morning, and the 24th Welch, who were in Brigade reserve, had to use both “ A and “B “ Companies to clear hills, losing Captain D. L. P. Morgan killed, and 11 other casualties. Eventually the 231st Brigade captured Selwad, but could not advance as both its flanks were in the air.

A combined attack of the Herefords on Chipp Hill and the 4th Welch on a ridge to the northeast of it was now arranged for 3.30 p.m. The Welch were successful, but the Herefords failed to get to the top of the ridge, and the Welch suffered 30 casualties from enfilade fire from Chipp Hill, but hung on grimly. At 6.30 p.m. the attack was renewed by the Herefords and the top of the hill was at last in our possession, but the Turks still clung to the reverse slope and made things very unpleasant the next morning."

The following day of 10th March saw the 5th Welsh being attacked from isolated spots and Chipp Hill and had to clear it again.

Nice photo of the guard, and nice maps by the way!

SteveJ.

Just spotted that your Uncle was killed on 10th March. Here is the detail from the History of the Welsh regiment for that day's action;

10th March 1917.

The objectives for this day were Kefr Malik for the 5th Welch, with the Cheshires advancing on their right; Tinto Hill for the 7th R.W.F. with the 6th R.W.F. advancing on their left.

The general advance started at 4 a.m., but the 158th Brigade soon bumped into strong bodies of Turks and was held up. “A” Company, 5th Welch, moved off to seize a small hill in advance, which it did without opposition, but when day dawned, the Company came under heavy rifle and machine gun fire from the reverse slopes of Chipp Hill, Lieutenant R. Frost and 2nd-Lieutenant A. Lewis being wounded together with 25 other ranks, and 8 other ranks being killed. It was here that Sergeant J. D. Gibbon won the D.C.M. for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty. Assuming command of the Company he maintained his position, exposing himself freely and inspiring his men by his example.

Captain A. H. Lee, M.C., now sent up a platoon of “ D” Company to reinforce A” Company, and with the remainder of his men reconnoitred towards Kefr Malik, but the Turks were well placed and the advance came to a standstill. The 7th Cheshires on the right of the 5th Welch were similarly held up.

Lieutenant- Colonel H. R. Bowen, D.S.O., commanding 5th Welch, quickly grasping the situation, sidetracked his Battalion, less “A” Company, into the low ground to the right, cleared the wadis and drove back the enemy, relieving the situation on Chipp Hill. The Cheshires under a well directed bombardment made headway, and Captain F. S. Harries, commanding ‘C Company, 5th Welch, passed through ‘D’ Company and captured Kefr Malik with a Turkish M.O. and a few prisoners. The Welch were now well in rear of the Turks at Chipp Hill,and the day was won, the enemy retiring. The 5th Welch pushed outposts on to Cardiff Hill, while the Cheshires formed a defensive flank towards Rock Park. The 6th R.W.F. had reached Tinto Hill, and on their left the 231st Brigade held Mezrah. During the night the 160th Brigade relieved the 158th Brigade.

Hopefully this along with the maps from Michael will help you understand the action.

SteveJ.

The 1/5th Welsh were the first guard on the Jaffa Gate for certain. The Guard was found by No. II Platoon, “C" Company, under the command of Lieutenant W. A. Woods.

Thanks for that confirmation SteveJ

Great to have the extra info

regards

Michael

Thanks for that confirmation SteveJ

Great to have the extra info

regards

Michael

No probs,

SteveJ.

The Palestinian campaign looks quite interesting. I have never looked into it too much, but as I am researching the 24th Welsh at the moment (74th Division), I have started to gather some information on the Palestinian Campaign, and it's aroused my interest!

SteveJ

• 10 months later...

"March 8-9

My Great Grandad won his MM here.

H J Slee 1/4th Welsh Regiment MM 9th March 1918 signaling with flags under fire several occasions.

Now I know where. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I had no idea that his name was on there but as that is where he was from I presume it is.

I've just noticed that you are carrying out your own research on him are you researching him for any particular reason??

Rachael

Hi Rachael

Not sure if this topic is still running but if it is...........Is your great uncle Stephen Davies the soldier commemorated on the Brithdir cenotaph?

The Palestinian campaign looks quite interesting. I have never looked into it too much, but as I am researching the 24th Welsh at the moment (74th Division), I have started to gather some information on the Palestinian Campaign, and it's aroused my interest!

SteveJ

Rachel, Michael and SteveJ,

I was away for a few days so I missed participation in the discussion On-Line…

I want to relate to the part regarding "The first guard on the Jaffa Gate".

As far as I know, the first British who really entered the city on December 9th were an Artillery officer and his orderly who were sent forward down Jaffa road and secured the Post Office, next to the Old City's walls & New Gate, not far from Jaffa Gate. Next, Brigadier Watson (180 Brigade / 60th London Division) & Lieut.-Col. Bayley arrive at Jaffa Gate. Watson puts a preliminary guard of an Artillery officer and a gunner at Jaffa gate until two companies of the 2/17 London battalion will arrive. They were the first guard at Jaffa Gate. As far as I know – The photo sent by Michael (Made by Larson of the American Colony) is of these soldiers.

However, before the Londoners arrived, Westminster Dragoons, acting as advanced guard of the 53rd (Welsh) division appeared at Jaffa Gate, coming from South of the Old City, from the direction of Bethlehem. As far as I know, they didn't stay there, and continued along Jerusalem's Old City's walls to the North-East corner. The 5/Welsh followed the cavalry. If there is a document (War diary etc.) that proves that the 5/Welsh acted as a guard at Jaffa Gate on Dec. 9th before the arrival of the Londoners – that will be a fascinating new piece of information.

Based on the dates mentioned, it seems more likely to me that the guard SteveJ is relating to is the Welsh guard of honor, which was a part of the multi-national guard that was around Jaffa Gate on Dec. 11th (Not 12th!) at 12 (Not 11!) for "…Sir Edmund Allenby's triumphant entrance into the City…".

SteveJ, I've spent quite some time in the battlefields of the 74th division during Nov. & Dec. 1917. If you need any assistance – contact me. Rachel, although I know the area very well, I haven't yet got into the 'In-depth' details of the events of 1918, so I can't contribute too much on that matter at this stage.

Eran

• 6 months later...
Guest agourley1

hi i have a german shell 7.5cm m15 with a lieut boston 31st machine gun corps and jiljilia balkans egypt 1916.17.18 engraved on it. found in bangor n .ireland so i think he was with the 10th rir but i dont know does any body have any referance to him.

quote from The Long, Long Trail (see http://www.1914-1918.net/10div.htm)

10th (Irish) Division, 31st Brigade -

31st Machine Gun Company

formed 11 May 1916

left to move into 10th MG Battalion 7 May 19188

The last date should no doubt read 7 May 1918, when the Division's machine-guns were brought together to form a battalion within the Division

I imagine that the ref to Jiljilia is in respect of a significant action which took place on 9-10th March 1918: see page 60 of 'The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force...' which can be downloaded from here http://archive.org/details/briefrecordofadv00grearich

Good luck

Michael