Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Cyclists sent to Dublin during Easter Rising 1916

LostDub

Hi,

This is my first post so bear with me if I have put this in the wrong forum. I am currently researching the British Army regiments sent to Dublin over the course of the 1916 Rising. As part of my research the good folks at the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment HQ allowed me to have a search through their archives to find contemporary and post-war accounts of the fighting in Dublin written by "Sherwood Foresters".

Anway to cut a long story short, I came accross a section of a diary belonging to L/Cpl B. C. Webster a Divisional Cyclist with the 178th Brigade, who accompanied the Sherwood Foresters to Dublin and took part in some of the fiercest fighting during the rising at Northumberland Road and Mount Street Bridge with the 2/8th Battalion.

Sadly the account gives few details about Mr. Webster himself or exactly what unit he belonged too. I myself did not realise that Cyclist had been sent to Dublin. I checked with the archivist at the Regimental HQ and there was no B. C. Webster in the 2/8 Battalion.

I would appreciate any help I can get in finding out more about 178th Division cyclist sent to Dublin.

Cheers

Keith

Keith

Take a look at the page in the Long Long Trail for 59th Division which shows that the 59th Divisional Cyclist Company was attached to Divisional strength for the Easter Uprising 1916:

http://www.1914-1918.net/59div.htm

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi,

Part of the 12th [Reserve] Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were sent down from Finner training Camp in Donegal.

They had an Officer called Crockett killed. He is buried in Londonderry City cemetery, where his family came from.

One of their Sargeants performed very well under fire.

I believe my grandmothers brother Pte David McConnell, also of the 12th and from Londonderry, was there too.

His army service record reads a bit odd. On his papers in the 'conduct' section it says 'A very good soldier, he served his country well in ....'

the last word appears to be Dublin but has faded badly.

What i find unusual is that he was sent to the 9th Battalion in France and was severely wounded within two weeks so did not have time to 'Serve his country well'.

I was under the impression that they would normally just write a simple comment on conduct ie good, fair, excellent etc.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Keith

Take a look at the page in the Long Long Trail for 59th Division which shows that the 59th Divisional Cyclist Company was attached to Divisional strength for the Easter Uprising 1916:

http://www.1914-1918.net/59div.htm

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate,

Thank you for the link, sorry about the delay replying, I had a baby boy born a couple of weeks ago and so have not been able to spend much time on-line.

thanks for your help.

regards

Keith

Hi,

Part of the 12th [Reserve] Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were sent down from Finner training Camp in Donegal.

They had an Officer called Crockett killed. He is buried in Londonderry City cemetery, where his family came from.

One of their Sargeants performed very well under fire.

I believe my grandmothers brother Pte David McConnell, also of the 12th and from Londonderry, was there too.

His army service record reads a bit odd. On his papers in the 'conduct' section it says 'A very good soldier, he served his country well in ....'

the last word appears to be Dublin but has faded badly.

What i find unusual is that he was sent to the 9th Battalion in France and was severely wounded within two weeks so did not have time to 'Serve his country well'.

I was under the impression that they would normally just write a simple comment on conduct ie good, fair, excellent etc.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Gosh I am not sure where to start with this one, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were involved in teh fighting around the GPO, in fact one of their officers was captured and became the chief witness for the prosecution in the trial of Willie Pearse. But unfortunately, none the accounts I have of the fighting gives any details of the Inniskilling's actions over the week. It is also unusual that great-grand uncle was dispatched to France so soon after the fighting, most re-inforcements sent to Dublin were then sent around the country to restore order and were still in place months later.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

You have to imagine the chaos at the time in Dublin, the Sherwood Foresters especially were 'ill-equiped' when landing as their Lewis guns were still in Liverpool, and certainly were not ready for urban warfare.

I believe your man was part of the 515th Company RASC, they like the Sherwood Foresters were stationed at Watford prior to the Rebellion, they left Watford for Dublin on Easter Monday 25 April in order to support the 178th Infantry Brigade.

En route they met up with the 2/7 and 2/8 Sherwood Foresters, hence finding themselves caught up in the fighting, especially Ball's Bridge, Mount Street Bridge, Clanwilliam House and 25 Northumberland Road. Cycles and motor cars were definately in evidence.

Hope this may help a little,

Regards,

Simon

Hi Keith,

You have to imagine the chaos at the time in Dublin, the Sherwood Foresters especially were 'ill-equiped' when landing as their Lewis guns were still in Liverpool, and certainly were not ready for urban warfare.

I believe your man was part of the 515th Company RASC, they like the Sherwood Foresters were stationed at Watford prior to the Rebellion, they left Watford for Dublin on Easter Monday 25 April in order to support the 178th Infantry Brigade.

En route they met up with the 2/7 and 2/8 Sherwood Foresters, hence finding themselves caught up in the fighting, especially Ball's Bridge, Mount Street Bridge, Clanwilliam House and 25 Northumberland Road. Cycles and motor cars were definately in evidence.

Hope this may help a little,

Regards,

Simon

Simon,

thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I Have had time and looked through all my records on the Rebellion to see if there are any other mentions on 'Divisional Cyclists'. I have found only one reference which mentions by name, 59th Divisional Cyclists.

(The 59th Division was a mobile Division and was nicknamed the 'The Lost Division' by those who were serving in it as they had lost all hope of ever going to France !)

59th (2/1st North Midland) Divisional Cyclist Company, they proceeded to Dublin with the Sherwood Foresters.

As I stated in my previous response, the ASC also had cycles at their disposal.

Kind regards,

Simon