Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Diaries of Br Gen Alexander Johnston

Robert Dunlop

(ISBN 184415581-1). Published by Pen and Sword. This is a very interesting book. It covers the period 1914-1917 through the experiences of Alexander Johnston. He started out the war as a signals officer with the 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Division. Subsequently, Johnston took over command of the 3rd Division's Signal Company, before going on to become a battalion and then brigade commander. Johnston's account of his roles in signals and staff duties is quite unique. Even his later roles as an infantry commander are very interesting. Edwin Astill has done a great job in editing the diaries and adding lots of information about the various people that Johnston mentions. Edwin explicitly thanked the members of this Forum who helped in collating this information. Highly recommended for anyone who has an interest in the command and control aspects of the war, as well as a fascinating account in its own right.

Robert

• 1 month later...

Robert - if you have this book (or if Edwin is still on forum) would it be possible to scan/copy the General's comments on the 'discipline shortcomings' he refers to on the 36th Div on 1st July? I just browsed the section in Waterstones and would like to read it again.

a) Thank you, Robert, for your kind comments in the first posting.

B) Johnston does not elaborate on his comments on 36th Division other than making a point that "inspite of the most elaborate arrangements having been made for the passing back of information.... only one message seems to have been sent back all day making it very difficult for our gunners to know how to help them. Johnston, as the context makes clear, had no direct involvement with 36th Division on the 1st July. I suspect the view point was one that was being expressed at the Divisional HQ which Johnston visited prior to to 25th Division moving into that area.

c) Johnston commanded the 126th Infantry Brigade, albeit only for a few days prior to his wounding.

Edwin

Edwin - is it possible to key in the phrasing?

This is not a knocking job by the way! Trust me!

I was just perplexed by his perception at the time given the circumstances.

• 11 years later...

Just started reading my copy of this book , having reaching the end of page 62 ( 25 Dec 1914) I notice that in my copy pages 63 /64 are blank 

pages with no page numbers and the next chapter (Jan 1915) resumes on page 65 . It looks like this is a printing error and page 63 should have

contained his diary entries up till the end of the year . I was just wondering if mine is a rogue copy or does this occur in other peoples copies also ?

There are blank pages between each of the years.  I don't think it is an error.

• Admin

I have  just checked my copy and as stated above, the pages between the years are blank in mine as well.

Michelle

22 minutes ago, robertb said:

There are blank pages between each of the years.  I don't think it is an error.

I was just going by the next year ( 1915/16 ) where the text was on the reverse of the new chapter blank page but looking further i see that on

the next year (1916/17) the unnumbered blank page is used to divide the chapters . So i think you are right , it just made it look like the diary finished

a bit abruptly on the 1914 section . Anyway thanks for looking , mystery ( for me ) solved !

18 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I have  just checked my copy and as sated above, th pages between the years are blank in mine as well.

Michelle

Thanks for that , at least i now know it's not an error .

Edited by Black Maria