Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli

andigger

Just wanted to let any one out there who happens to be in the Metro DC/Northern Virginia area, that I lead a World War One book discussion group. Our topics range from the western and eastern fronts to nurses during the war, and this month we are reading Alan Moorehead's book on Gallipoli.

If you are interested and need more details please email me. Thanks, Andy

andigger@yahoo.com

Welcome to the Forum, Andy!

I'm sure you will find much of interest here -- with great comaraderie among the Pals!

I will email you off-Forum regarding the Book Discussion group.

Cheers!

Steven Wright

Hi Andy,

Welcome again! I would be interested in more detail for sure. Is it something online etc?

Please feel free to send me more info.

Regards

Ryan - e: ryan@salientpoints.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder to let anyone out there who lives in the metro DC/Northern Va area know that I am leading a World War One book group. We meet monthly at the Barnes and Noble in Clarendon (22 Jan, this Thurs) and we read books on all aspects of the war. This month we are reading Gallipoli by Alan Moorehead. Send me an email if you want more details. Hope to see you there. Andy

Andy

I hope that your WWI book discussion group meeting went well last night

Is there any chance of a brief report for us Old World 'Pals' ?

Many of us share an interest in Gallipoli

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

You have asked a question that has perplexed me for a while. The discussion went well, and we had one person show up for the first time, so we are stilll growing.

The reason your question makes me think is because the discussion notes have a few key points and reference a few pages in the book, but I don't add the notes from the discussion itself. Also I was concerned the discussion might be too basic. The people who participate have an interest in WWI, but don't know much about the war beside what they just read. Therefore my discussion notes are more factual based rather than identifying themes and the 'bigger' picture.

But at any rate I have added the notes to this posting so you (and others) can tell me if you think it adds value, and thanks for asking! Andy

Gallipoli.doc

Andy,

Many thanks for the notes and for your comments. I see that you touched on the 'What ifs?' - "In the end what would opening the Straits have accomplished?"

Prof. Michael Sturmer gave the 1998 lecture for the Gallipoli Memorial Lecture Trust where he also tackled this question

"History is not about what if. But it is worth a thought whether the strategic rationale behind the campaign was merely a light-hearted wager or the tragic failure of a grand strategy. If the Allies had indeed broken through Turkish defences, Russia would probably have stumbled on and avoided the Bolshevik Revolution. Austria would soon have been forced out of the war, leaving Germany no choice but to conclude a peace halfway between victory and defeat. The United States would not have entered upon the European war. In short, the First World War would have ended sometime in early 1916, with Europe deeply shaken and changed, but not yet down the infernal grove to total war, crushing defeat, revolution and counter revolution. Taking the long view, it impossible to say who won and who lost."

[in 1998 Prof Sturmer was Director of the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik at Ebenhausen in Bavaria . The Gallipoli Memorial Lectures were published in "The Straits of War - Gallipoli Remembered" in 2000 by Sutton Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-7509-2408-X]

Regards

Michael D.R.