Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is there a yearly rise in non comms identified?

Drummy

Terry,

Since the advent of the internet and specifically CWGC online db, the release of military records, the GWF etc I would imagine it to be obvious to think there has been a yearly rise in identified non comms. Do CWGC keep stats re yearly additions and if so are you able post this info?

Secondly since I joined the GWF I have read with interest many of the threads you have posted, your knowledge of current CWGC criterea, processes and procedures must be second to none and you have no doubt assisted / led the way in having many service personnel commemorated thereby righting oversights made 90 or so years ago, many of those now commemorated must be interesting cases in themselves. Would you ever consider completing a book covering your knowledge of CWGC. I am sure many would find the procedures, stats, case studies etc fascinating!

Keep up the great work

Cheers Neil.

Neil

I started backtracking last year to see if I could compile a total of those added in recent times. My results are below.

These figures below are for WW1 additions only. I have filtered out the few WW2 additions and the addition of men already accepted for commemoration long ago but whose names were missed - mainly during computerisation in the 1990s.

2003 (51)

2004 (63)

2005 (92)

2006 (164)

2007 (99 to date)

These numbers do not include the additions for a second entry when a man was discovered to serve under an Alias name - and, of course, there have been some deletions as well due to the discovery of errors!

There obviously will be increased numbers recently for all the reasons you cite.

As for the book..... When time allows!