Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A bit of a success

John_Hartley

On and off for several months, I have been researching my great uncle Ben (who appears in my "signature"). He was almost a forgotten soldier. There are no photos of him. No newspapers of the time reported his death. He has no marked grave (Only a "known to be buried in this cemetery").

And his name was never inscribed on a local war memorial. Until now.

Over the months, I have been in discussion with Stockport Council asking them to add him to the town war memorial (which is inside the art gallery). They agreed in principle but the wheels have turned slowly. I visited the gallery this morning and feel very proud to share this photo of the newly amended "addenda panel" with my Pals.

post-19-1073404778.jpg

That's brilliant John, really. Good for you for persevering. I am similarly engaged in some family research and I'm sure anyone who has done it, or any kind of research knows the frustrations... and what the victories feel like. Brilliant.

M

John

That's excellent news,well done.

Regards Doug

John,

Congratulations, what a great result!

Well done

Matt

Yes, well done, and you must be really pleased that the name has been added so carefully and well. Obviously a well cared-for memorial, and you'd never know the name has only recently been added.

Tom

What a wonderful and appropriate achievement. You should feel proud of yourself.

I hope you've alerted the local newspaper to the story? It would make a very touching local interest piece, especially with some background material from you.

I will have a look in the art gallery next time I'm in Stockport with some time to spare. Where is it? Is it near that building which resembles a wedding cake with terrible taste in icing designs?

Gwyn

Tom - I was surprised how new it all looked. The addenda panel was started in 1925 and it all still looks brand new. You can see a picture of the memorial at carlscam.com.

Gwyn - I think when you refer to the wedding cake, you mean our wonderful town hall. If so, yes, it's on the opposite side of the A6 traffic lights (in front of the college building). Closed for few days and looking like a building site while they set up a new exhibition. I had to blag my way in this morning. Me, I can do charm when I put my mind to it.

I will be letting the local paper know in the next few days. Could be quite a good "hook" for them - forgotten for 90 years, etc. As Tom knows, I am writing up Benjamin's story and now I have all the info can finish it of.

John

John,

Do I see a two page feature and an appeal for information on Worthington - wouldn't it be good if you could trace some family and some more information?

Well done with Ben - not many of us have managed corrections to war memorials and this one comes with the express involvement of the family.

Martin

What is Ben's story ?

Gwyn

John

That's really a very impressive and moving result.

All the best

Mike S

Bit of an update on this:-

1) the local weekly paper, the Stockport Express, may well be running a story in next week's edition about this. I was at the memorial this morning having my photo taken (I really am not photogenic).

2) My "publisher" tells me that Pals can read "Lost and Found" - the search for Benjamin here at Hellfire Corner

John

(PS: thanks for all your comments)