Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Loos

aliecoco

Hi,

I haven't been to the Loos battlefields yet and would like to go. I could take the eurostar trian to Lille, which looks very close on the map. But from there could I take a battlefield tour? I am thinking that in Ypres from the square you can pick up tours. I wondered if there was anything similar in Lille? I thought it would make a nice day out, especially as Lille is the culture capital of Europe this year.

Any help/advice would be great.

Alie.

Alie, I don't know of any battlefield tours of the Loos area, but the tourist office in Loos-en-Gohelle is very helpful. Try to talk to Isabelle (can't remember here Polish surname, I'm afraid) if you can. She will know what's available. It is not the most attractive of regions, but is full of interest. Ask Isabelle about visiting the (new-ish) museum behind the town hall, and whether you can arrange a guided tour of the tunnels. Both are 'must-do's' while you are there.

Alie I don't think there are such tours from Lille of Loos battlefield but truth is I do not know for sure. I will email Hedley and ask him to contact you.

The Eurostar is great! There is a wonderful memorial in Lille to refugees. It was the largest occupied city in France. helen McPail's excellent book on the occupation is now in paperback, The Long Silence.

• Admin

The lady in question is Isabelle Pilarowski, she speaks good English. I don't know of any organised trips round the Loos battlefield, but I would imagine that the Loos tourist office would have some written information about the area.

Tel number 00333 21 69 88 77

There are no pick-up bus tours of Loos, or any other WW1 battlefields, organised out of Lille. The Loos battlefield is possible from Lille using public transport; it involves taking a train to Bethune from Lille Flandres (just down the road from Lille Europe), getting out at Givenchy or La Bassée and walking or cycling over the battlefield via Loos to Lens where one can catch a train back to Lille Flandres. Obviously the reverse route is possible. But it's a long haul on foot; much easier with a bike. I don't know whether the Eurostar/SNCF train timetables would allow you to do this in day. Check out the Eurostar and SNCF/TER websites. Eurostar and car hire is an easier option for a day trip; if there are three or four or you going then it is not expensive.

Another alternative is to stay a weekend; do Loos on the Saturday and Lille on the Sunday; and enjoy the delights of the Les Trois Brasseurs and/or L'Illustration on Saturday night. There is a bit to see: Vauban's Citadelle (the scene of the executions of Trulin and the last UK SAD cases of WW1 is marked on the walls); the unique Pigeon War Memorial (recently looking rather delapidated) and much else besides. There is a Michelin Battlefield Guide to Lille in English available from the Army and Navy Press. Or take a bike from Lille to Houplines and Ploegsteert ... I could go on.

If you are coming to Lille to stay, book accommodation in advance. The place is stacked out at weekends. And beware of pick-pockets - they are very active.

Next time: Aubers Ridge and Neuve Chapelle by No.63 bus.

Regards

• 1 year later...

they do guided tours of the double crassier area, contact the museum and book in advance . I'm going to do one on Tuesday.