Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For soldiers killed in action

Ryegate

Hi Ryegate

Thank you for doing the look ups on J Gandy and R H Phillips. There seems to be very few records relating to Roy Phillips and as I said family members do not know anything about him and his medals were returned. All the info I have found has been through Ancestry or you guys.

Thanks again

Deb

Thankyou very much I was hoping it would give more information. Must admit looking into the records of my two Great Uncle's makes me very sad. George the younger one was my Great Grandmothers last child and having them both taken so close together almost killed her. I don't think she lived much longer.

Thankyou again. Also the information on my Dad it was nice that you could verify that I had not missed his records. Shall have to wait for Kew till we move back to England.

No, don't do that! Post it on the Forum and someone here will offer to look him up for you next time he/she is at Kew.

They are a great bunch and very willing as well as experts on this Forum so I have no doubt someone will offer to help.

Best of luck

regards

Hi

I don't mind taking a look for you if you wish?

I have access to them on Find my Past so would be happy to do so!

Regards

Can you let me know?

Hello, Sorry I was so long in answering but I didn't know whether this is meant for meor not ?( did you put Hi instead of Di!!) but if it is for me I would really appreciate it if you looking up the Service records for Francis Maidment to see if there is only one page or the five as claimed.

Thanks Di

Ryegate,

You kindly provided the death certificate ref for my "grandfather" 690232 Dvr GeorgeRylands; I now have the certificate and, as I suspected, it was my great uncle George Rylands. My thanks anyway. Someone commented (maybe you) that as cause of death in SDGW was "died" the cause could have been something else. The certificate gives cause of death as "Died AnLuryst Aortic Artery". I have asked one of the doctors at our local hospital (I am a hospital chaplain there) if this cause could be code for something else as George Rylands only arrived in Mesopotamia mid February 1918 and died four weeks later. The doctor (also a trench anorak) thought there were certain euphemisms used to protect the feelings of family back home during WWI.

Kevin Keeley

Kevin

I Googled "AnLuryst" and got no results. Is this what it says or has a typo crept in?

Did your doctor colleague intrepret what the cause was for you? The reason I ask is that a SDGW reference to "died" usually just means a death from natural causes as opposed to "died of wounds" or "killed in action". Nothing suspicious or untoward at all.

And, certainly, something seriously wrong with your aortic artery is going to kill you.

I would also be surprised if the army had sufficient sensitivity to fabricate a cause of death by using a euphemism. Did your colleague speculate what this cause of death might be a euphemism for?

John

could 'AnLuryst Aortic Artery' be mis-read for 'Aneuryst. Aortic Artery' - would make more sense (to a non-medical person like me, anyway)

The certificate gives cause of death as "Died AnLuryst Aortic Artery".

Could it meant "Aneurysm of the Aortic Artery", in other words a bulge in the main artery of the heart and that it possibly burst.

Diane

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

hi, Ryegate.

do you mind if you could see if their is death certificates for,

alfred horace beech,serviceNo,16084,No 1 coy,2nd batt.

william haylor,royal sussex regiment,he died,14/ 9 / 1914

thank you very much.

rob

Hi Ryegate,

great service you're providing here. wonder if you could look up my Great Uncle: Sgt Harry Urquhart, 15629, 13th Royal Scots. I've got him as kia, 22/08/17. Would be very grateful for a Death Cert ref.

thanks

Ian

Ryegate, I have hit a bit of a snag on one of my soldiers and wondered if you could unravel it? I have a newspaper photo of PRIVATE JAMES W HOLT the caption reads" Lancashire Fusiliers he was 19 years of age.He was killed in action October 9th (1917)" and various references to Milnrow.The cap badge is definately the LFs. Now the only J HOLT I can find on SDGW and MIC was age 29 and in the 2/9th Manchesters and buried in Tyne Cot Cem. Cannot get on CWGC for some reason so my other info is not available to check. It seems a bit of a muddle can you help and possibly Chris may know if the 2/9th were in the vicinity of Tyne Cot on the 9th October. Regards Ralph.

Rob

Details are:

Name: Beech, Alfred Horace

Regiment: Grenadier Guards

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Birthplace: Paddock Wood, Kent

Enlisted: Maidstone

Number: 16084

Date died: 20 February 1915

How died: Killed in Action

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Death cert ref: 1917 M4 197

Name: Haylor, William

Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Birthplace: Slougham, Sussex

Enlisted: Brighton

Number: L/9478

Date died: 14 September 1914

Theatre of War: British Expeditionary Force

Death cert ref: 1914 I.73 5

Ian

Details are:

Name: Urquhart, Harry

Regiment: Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)

Battalion: 13th Battalion

Birthplace: Hattonmill, Forfarshire

Enlisted: Dundee, Forfarshire

Residence: Arbroath, Forfarshire

Number: 15629

Date died: 22 August 1917

Death cert ref: 1917 I.7 65

regards

Hello Ralph

How are you?

I have 2 James Holts, neither died in 1917.

I have a private James William Holt in York and Lancaster Regiment No. 14/1273, died 01 July 1916

the other is James William Holt Royal Army Medical Corps. CPL 27268.

There are several James Holt with no middle name listed, so I will look through those now to see if one of them may be your man.

Take a few minutes.

Regards

may know if the 2/9th were in the vicinity of Tyne Cot on the 9th October.

Ralph

Muddy waters, I'm afraid, mate. You've got 2nd Line LFs and Mancs in action near Ypres on the 9th. Just from my local war dead, there's 2/6th and 2/8th LFs and 2/7th & 2/9th Mancs.

I would think you've got to assume that that the J W Holt with the Mancs has got to be your man and the press is wrong about his unit. Never believe owt you read in the newspapers. :)

What does SDGW have for him?

John

What does SDGW have for him?

Ralph

Answered my own question. Certain its going to be him as SDGW has him enlisted Rochdale.

Residence though is Scotswood-on-Tyne, Northumberland.

(in terms of the latter, I think this is lending weight to views expressed on other threads that the residence bit often refers to place of residence of next of kin and not necessarily the soldier)

John

Ralph

The only one of the James Holts to have died on the 9th October 1917 is the following:

Name: Holt, James

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Battalion: 2/9th Battalion

Enlisted: Rochdale, Lancs

Residence: Scotswood-on-Tyne, Northumberland

Number: 352924

Date died: 09 October 1917

Regards

PS let me know if you wish to have the details of a few others (some Lancashire Fusiliers) but they didn't die on this date.

John, SDGW has JAMES HOLT no second name Manchesters 2/9th kia 9-10-1917 (2907 killed on this day! )gives his residence as Scotswood on Tyne, a newspaper article I have read stated his mother lives in Newcastle. I can only assume that the photo is of the wrong man. My copy of the casualty lists from the Rochdale Observer has James W Holt Lancs Fusiliers of 4 Buckley Hill Lane Milnrow killed in France Oct 9 1017. I might have the pen picture of one man mixed up with the photo of another by the same name ? Still no clearer. Ralph. (the soldiers cap in the photo has the L/Fs cap badge on it)

Ralph

Don't discount the possibility that he originally joined and trained with the LFs but was transferred to the Mancs before going overseas. Certainly happened in a goodly number of cases and would explain the photo. But then the newspaper getting something wrong, like the photo, would hardly be a surprise would it?

I'm sure this has to be your man.

John

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

Hello Ryegate .

Are you still able to do these look ups ?

If it is possible , I have : Bernard Patrick Sharp(e) 63100 , died 14/3/1917 , Kings Liverpool Regt.

Thank you,

Linden

Regards

Hello Ryegate .

Are you still able to do these look ups ?

If it is possible , I have : Bernard Patrick Sharp(e) 63100 , died 14/3/1917 , Kings Liverpool Regt.

Thank you,

Linden

Hi Linden

Of course!

Details are:

Name: Sharp, Bernard

Regiment: King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalion: Labour Companies

Birthplace: Bloxwich, Staffs

Enlisted: Manchester

Residence: Moss Side, Manchester

Number: 63100