Number: 8832

Date died: 22 May 1915

How died: Killed in Action

Theatre of War: Gallipoli

Death cert ref: 1915 I.74 6

Regards

THANKS REGUARDS GARY

Shinglma

Exactly so and I have made a point of saying this several times through the course of this topic.

Regardless though, if members ask me to look someone up I will continue to do so as it is my way of repaying for some of the excellent information and help I have been given by expert Forum members.

And maybe there are others out there who like me, want the certificate for completion. Or maybe they just like to have the reference to the certificate. Who knows.

I think people can decide for themselves whether they want to spend £7 or not. I mean, if you think about it, what else could these death certificates state about cause of death other than the obvious?

Regards

Shinglma

Exactly so and I have made a point of saying this several times through the course of this topic.

Regardless though, if members ask me to look someone up I will continue to do so as it is my way of repaying for some of the excellent information and help I have been given by expert Forum members.

And maybe there are others out there who like me, want the certificate for completion. Or maybe they just like to have the reference to the certificate. Who knows.

I think people can decide for themselves whether they want to spend £7 or not. I mean, if you think about it, what else could these death certificates state about cause of death other than the obvious?

Regards

Hi again how do i go about getting a certificate. Reguards Gary

Hi Gary

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

there is a section about ordering certificates and a link to 'order a certificate online'

As stated, with the death cert. ref. it costs £7 but do beware before ordering, the certificate will only give place and cause of death which in the case of William will be 'Killed in Action'.

Depending on how busy the GRO are, it takes about 7 days but it will give you a date of despatch when you finalise your order.

Regards

Hi Gary

there is a section about ordering certificates and a link to 'order a certificate online'

As stated, with the death cert. ref. it costs £7 but do beware before ordering, the certificate will only give place and cause of death which in the case of William will be 'Killed in Action'.

Depending on how busy the GRO are, it takes about 7 days but it will give you a date of despatch when you finalise your order.

Regards

Thanks so much foer the help Reguards Gary

Hi Gary

Regards

Thanks so much foer the help Reguards Gary

Are there any examples of these certificates where they had some "additional" info? Even if not, I think I probably will spend the money - I had no idea such things existed and I am one that would go for "completion" as you say. Nice one, Ryegate.

If you do get a chance, please could you look up my six family dead :-

AQUILA BASS - Private M2/101636 - Royal Army Service Corps - 27th November 1917 in Italy

ABSALOM MARSH - Corporal 15356 - East Lancashire Regiment - 12th April 1918 in Flanders

ERNEST AUSTIN FRANCIS SWIFT - Bombardier 112534 - Royal Field Artillery - 29th August 1917 in Flanders

WILLIAM McEVOY - Private 20468 - Royal Lancaster Regiment - 2nd March 1916 in Flanders

JAMES KNOWLES - Private 268414 - King's Liverpool Regiment - 3rd June 1918 in Germany (P.O.W.)

JAMES DWERRYHOUSE - Lance Corporal 19357 - Coldstream Guards - 27th November 1917 in Flanders

Many thanks

Max.

Hi Max

Glad to help out.

I take it you do not want the details like those I have posted to other members throughout this topic? I take it you already have all of that information.

Death cert. refs. are:

Aquila Bass 1917 M1 220

Absalom Marsh 1918 I.15 226

Ernest Austin Frances Swift 1917 A.3 22

William McEvoy 1916 I.19 193

James Knowles 1918 I.21 149

James Dwerryhouse 1917 G.1 373

Regards

Are there any examples of these certificates where they had some "additional" info?

Max

I suspect you might need to come across a certificate relating to a death at an overseas General or Stationery hospital to have a chance of any detail of cause of death. Doubtful if those related to Casualty Clearing Statiion deaths carry any interesting info.

I've never had to order a hospital related certificate so am only guessing here - it'd be useful to hear form anyone who has.

John

Hi Ryegate

Could you please have a look for my wifes G/Uncle Pte 618547 H Knight K I A 22/8/18. Im trying to find find out his rank when he was killed. C W G says Private Medal card says Cpl. Hope you can help.

Frank.

Lancer

Checked through every single H Knight but cannot find your regiment number (618547)

However, I have found a Harry Knight with regiment number 681547 which I suspect is the correct soldier. Would you confirm your regiment number for me please?

Regards

thanks Frank.

Details are:

Name: Knight, Harry

Regiment: London Regiment

Battalion: 22nd (County of London) Battalion (The Queen's)

Birthplace: Bermondsey

Enlisted: Bermondsey

Residence: South Bermondsey

Number: 681547

Date died: 22 August 1918

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Death Cert. ref. 1918 I.86 228

Regards

Hi

My relative

William T Hall

Private 19918 16th Battalion Sherwood Foresters

Was K in A 03-09-16

During the Battle of the Ancre Heights , France.

He is recorded elsewhere as Lance Corpral

I would be grateful of the offer to find his Death certificate.

Regards

Malc Knowles

Ryegate; thanks for the info regarding Dvr George Rylands. I have sent off for his death cerrtificate, hoping it answers one or two questions. Many thanks for your help.

Kevin Keeley

Ryegate,

Have not been able to find this chap:

Gunner HOPPER, ERNEST

Royal Garrison Artillery

Date of Death: 28/03/1917

Service No: 290190

Any help very much appreciated.

Roop

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

Is there any information about this man?

ELLISON, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/04/1918

Service No: 306846

Thank you.

Kondoa

I have found some details but sadly, this poor chap does not appear to have a death certificate. I have searched twice and even those out of order just in case he was there. I think it is very sad.

But, I did find the following although you may already have this but just in case:

Name: Hopper, Ernest

Regiment: Royal Garrsion Artillery

Birthplace: Sigglesthorne, Yorks

Enlisted: Hull

Residence: Cottingham, Yorks

Number: 290190

Date died: 28 March 1917

How died: Died (this may explain why no death cert. ref)

Theatre of War: Home

Supplementary Notes: Formerly 199, 1st Hull HVY BTY. R.G.A.

Hope this helps

Regards

Louvain

Details are:

Name: Ellison, William

Regiment: King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalion: 7th Battalion

Birthplace: Liverpool

Enlisted: Liverpool

Residence: Liverpool

Number: 306846

Date died: 15 April 1918

Death cert ref: 1918 I.21 196

Regards

Louvain

Details are:

Name: Ellison, William

Regiment: King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalion: 7th Battalion

Birthplace: Liverpool

Enlisted: Liverpool

Residence: Liverpool

Number: 306846

Date died: 15 April 1918

Death cert ref: 1918 I.21 196

Regards

Thanks for taking the trouble Ryegate.

Hi

Would mind doing a couple of look ups for me? (You seem to have taken on quite a load!)

I am tracing my family tree and like you feel it is necessary to tie in all the threads. Two of my great uncles fought, and died, in the Great War. Neither were talked about by surviving relatives, it was only by sheer fluke that I found one of them - his medals were unclaimed. This seems sad. Sorry!! I'm waffling on so I will get to the point.

1. Roy Harrison Phillips, born 1890 Des Moines, Iowa (though the family are English). Died, 22 Sept 1917. 2/4 S Lancs. No 201489.He is cited on the Ploegsteert Memorial. I know he married, it must have been about 1912 and I think it was to Kathleen Reddy. They had one son who died an infant.

2. Jack Gandy, born 1898, Altrincham. Died 24 August 1918. No. 325163 Royal Warwicks (formerly Cheshire Regt)

Thank you

Deb

P.S. I have got simply loads of information of this site and find you all really helpful. Thanks - sorry, am waffling again and gushing now! I'll go. :blush:

Hello Deb

Details are:

Name: Gandy, Jack

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Battalion: 15th Battalion

Enlisted: Altrincham, Ches

Number: 325163

Date died: 24 August 1918

Supplementary Notes: Formerly 2574 Ches. Regt.

Death cert ref: 1918 I.51 307

Details are: Phillips, Roy Harrison

Regiment: Prince of Wale's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)

Battalion: 2/4th Battalion

Birthplace: Desmoin U.S.A.

Enlisted: Manchester

Residence: Altrincham, Cheshire

Number: 201489

Date died: 22 September 1917

I am sorry, there is no death certificate reference listed for Roy. Sad. I will look again later to see if for some strange reason, it is listed under Harrision but it is definitely not in the R. Phillips.

Regards