Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For soldiers killed in action

Ryegate

Hi Yvonne

Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten so it's just as well you were on the ball!!

Found him! so many pages for Thomas Wilson. It is when you see just pages and pages of soldiers all with the same name you begin to understand the magnitude of it all. So sad.

Details are:

Name: Wilson, Tom

Regiment: London Regiment

Battalion: 1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)

Birthplace: Canterbury

Enlisted: Dartford

Residence: Darenth

Number: 202549

Date died: 26 April 1918

How died: Killed in Action

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

No supplementary Notes

Regards

Rjaydee

Hopefully you received my PM.

Have taken a look at the Howarths (no initials) in the Ancestry pension records. Unfortunately none of those are your man.

Although I have looked at BDMs for the years 1918 - 1922 and there are a few R Howarths they are not really much help. As you will undoubtedly know, they give no details that would show whether one of them is your Robert J Howarth.

I thought he may have been in the military death overseas records but not there either. So, you were right in the first place, he is a complete mystery!

Sorry I can't help. Just don't know where else to look!

Good luck and hope you find something on him that gives you a lead as to what happened to him.

Regards

Howdy. Replied to your PM (your box is/was full) thanks for all your efforts, and John Hartleys, I will persevere you never know something may crop up and WHEN it does you will be the first to know. Cheers Ralph.

Ryegate. Another on of mine for you, any trace of a W. CHAMBERLAIN ? this is all I have and all that appears on our memorial. Ralph. (probably impossible I have checked the local paper from 1914 through to 1924-nothing)

Rjaydee

Sent a PM but haven't the patience to wait for an answer so I will take a flyer on your W Chamberlain and assume he would be from Lancashire!

I am happy to look further if this is not the correct man.

Quite a few W Chamberlains but only (strangely) one from Lancs.

This is him:

Name: Chamberlain, Walter

Regiment: East Lancashire Regiment

Battalion: 11th Battalion

Birthplace: Widnes, Lancs

Enlisted: Widnes

Number: 39551

Date died: 28 June 1918

Let me know if you wish me to look at others.

Thanks

Regards

Hiya, Sorry for not looking here before the PM this looks a good bet, I will investigate further now I have a christian name. Your a star(I hope if it turns out) Ralph.

Rjaydee

Well, I am chuffed at being a star even if it turns out to be short lived.

Let me know as there are others there and we can go through them one by one..................Mmmm

I can sit for hours on end searching through records but waiting for a response? Absolutely, no patience at all!

Regards

but only (strangely) one from Lancs.

But two more listed on Soldiers Died:

Walter C, 7/8/15 1/8th Manchesters. Born/Enlisted Manchester

William C, 22/7/17, 6th North Lancs. Enlisted Horwich - no plce of birth/residence

John

Hi John

I did look (I thought) very carefully but maybe not as carefully as I should have done.

Maybe you will steel my 'star award'! And if you do..................well, you'll deserve it!

And Rjaydee will be very pleased!

Regards

NOW NOW, If any one of these is my man you can both have stars. Thanks for all the effort. Ralph.

Ralph

Note of caution, mate.......you can't assume that he must be a Lancastrian "other rank".

Could be an army officer, navy or air personnel or, of course, served with an overseas force (Dominion or US). None are going to show up on Soldiers Died and, therefore, the FindmyPast records.

Or that he was simply working in the area. My shortest "in the area" is a chap who'd worked at the local hospital for 4 weeks - enough to get him on the memorial. Lucky there was a newspaper report otherwise I'd never have found him. Good luck.

John

John, Your words of wisdom are noted, I have been treading very cautiously over five names for the last four years and no concrete proof on any of them as yet (two discussed today)Ralph.

Hi Ryegate

I know the chances are low but would your search show anything on these two brothers Harry Ellis b 1889 ~ Richard Ellis b 1886 (original name Richard Gornall ~ adopted) they were from Barnoldswick. Sons of Thomas and Mary Ellis

Their brother Willie Ellis won the Military Medal in 1917 (Craven Herald 04/05/1917) the article references his two brothers who were also in the army ~ one of whom had been wounded and was recovering in North Shields

I have W Ellis medals and have been trying for some time to find out which regiments his brothers were in so I can track their pasts

Any help, advice and quidance to information would be appreciated in my quest to track down the brothers

Regards...Colin

Hi Dozza

One of these James Gray records gives a birthplace so it may help you decide which is your G Grandfather.

Thanks Ryegate,

I was searching the right James Gray PHEEEW!

It was the James Gray 35165

Thankyou

Doreen

Ryegate

Many thanks for the offer. If you get time could you look up:

George John Button

Rifleman, 11bn Rifle Brigade

Service No S17863

Date of Death listed as 1/04/1918, he has a memorial at Pozieres

Many thanks

Linda

Hi could you please look up James Anderson 1st bn Scots Guards service number 13873. Died 30 March 1916. Thanks

Hi Linda

Details are:

Name: Button, George John

Regiment: Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own)

Battalion: 11th Battalion

Birthplace: Lambeth, Surrey

Enlisted: Deptford, Kent

Residence: New Cross, Surrey

Number: S/17863

Date died: 01 April 1918

Death cert. ref. 1918 I.80 257

Regards

Not wishing to be negative, but I understood that the Army death certificates do not give much information as to place or cause of death? Typically just something like "Killed in Action" and "France". I may be wrong, but this is the case for the ones I have seen.

Grace

Your point is well made. Whilst no criticism is intended of Ryegate for producing much useful information (including that from Soldiers Died in the Great War) forum members might want to look at this example of a typical WW1 death certificate before spending £7.

Some might still want to purchase these death certificates for the sake of completion but many others might consider them a waste of money given that the information they usually contain is otherwise available via CWGC and SDGW.

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

Hi there would it be possible to get a certificate William coffey 1st bn,.royal inniskilling fusiliers killed in action 22 may 1915 service number 8832. Reguards,Gary

Hello Gary

Details are:

Name: Coffey, William

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Birthplace: Ardaragh, Co. Fermanagh

Enlisted: Belfast

Number: 8832

Date died: 22 May 1915

Theatre of War: Gallipoli

Death cert ref: 1915 I.74 6