Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/10th Battn. London Regiment

Guest joeg

I've been looking at the service of a man in the Rifle Brigade, but in March 1918 he was attached to the 2nd/10th Battalion, London Regiment. He died on the 31st March 1918, apparently when the battalion were in Pierremand, south of Chauny and the Oise Canal. As this was just on the borderline of the area in which the Germans had advanced ten days before - had the battalion been there all the time? Had they fallen back from farther north? Or had they been moved up to that position during the week following the offensive?

Thanks for any help

Joe

Hello Joe.

2/10th Londons(Hackney)were part of the 175th Brigade,58th(2/1st)London Division,5th Army and were stationed south of the river Oise on the 21st of March and not heavily involved in the fighting.

The division had been in this part of the line since around the end of January 1918,having moved down from the Flanders area to take over a portion of the line that had been previously held by the French.

173rd Brigade,including the 2/2nd Londons and my Great-Grandads MGC Company,were in the frontline on the morning of the attack and the 174th and 175th were closest to the French,south of the Oise.

By March 24th the whole of the Division,including the 175th Brigade,were South of the Oise and holding a line of 13 miles.

Thanks to a friend of mine,i know that the 175th Brigade were relieved by the 173rd on the night of the 29th of March at a place called Manicamp on the left hand sector of the divisional line.

To me it seems the Germans did pressure the line,but were more intent on pushing towards Amiens,and the action on the Oise was more of a holding action on behalf of the Germans.

There was a localised advance on the division's front sometime between March 29th and the night of 2/3rd of April,when the 173rd were relieved by a French Regiment.

It wasn't on the 173rd's front,so maybe this was when your man was KIA.

Many thanks to Mark Smith for this Info.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.