Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non-Com Update

Terry Denham

This section was introduced to GWF last year to provide an advice platform for members who believed that they had found a potentially non-commemorated serviceman/woman from WW1. At the same time, GWF started putting cases to MoD/CWGC (and the dominion authorities) officially by agreement - although this had been happening unofficially for a while.

Time for an update!

To date 114 cases have been put forward and accepted for commemoration as WW1 casualties. Some have already had headstones erected or names engraved on CWGC memorials. Others are in the pipeline or already have private memorials in the UK.

Another 30 cases currently are outstanding and we await a decision on these.

No case put forward by GWF has been rejected so far.

Of course, a number of members have put forward cases directly themselves and been successful also. This means that GWF members have brought 'in from the cold' a substantial number of casualties previously overlooked.

Well done to all members who have particpated to date. Keep 'em coming.

Great news, would it be possible to come up with an 'idiots guide' for sorting non-coms so we don't waste the CWGC's time?

Jon

Jon

That is my function in the process.

What usually happens is that a discussion appears here (sometimes offline directly with me) and the merits are kicked around. If a case looks likely, the proposer gathers the evidence and submits it to me. I then put the case together for submission by GWF through the agreed channels - or the proposer can do it themselves under their own name.

There is a pinned post at the beginning of this section outlining the criteria which may help you. No case is put forward unless there is solid evidence.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious here folks, but I am new to the forum. Is there in existance a register of those who are commemorated on UK memorials? I am looking for someone from the Basford area of Nottingham and cannot find his name. He is mentioned on the Arras memorial, but, apparently, not here in his own home.

Regards Richard

Richard

You are talking about a local memorial whereas here we are talking about the official CWGC commemorations (the Arras Memorial in the case you mention).

Local memorials were erected by ad hoc committees using different criteria and it is not unusual to find missing names on them for a variety of reasons.

Sadly, there is no complete central record of such memorials and their names yet but the Imperial War Museum is in the process of creating one. See here for progress so far http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/ . You will see that you can search the names they have to date.

You could post the details here as many members have access to specific local memorial records.

Richard

You are talking about a local memorial whereas here we are talking about the official CWGC commemorations (the Arras Memorial in the case you mention).

Local memorials were erected by ad hoc committees using different criteria and it is not unusual to find missing names on them for a variety of reasons.

Sadly, there is no complete central record of such memorials and their names yet but the Imperial War Museum is in the process of creating one. See here for progress so far http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/ . You will see that you can search the names they have to date.

You could post the details here as many members have access to specific local memorial records.

Hi Terry

Many thanks for the info.

Regards Richard