Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Guns In France

Guest Johnsonm

Guest Johnsonm

Fully agree on As from Kemmel Hill . A wonderful book .

Whilst looking for it in my books came across 'Field Guns In France ' by Lt Col Neil Fraser-Tyler published in 1922. He commanded d/151 and A/151 batteries and his recollections /letters are from Nov 1915 until March 1918 . I seem to have had it for a long time and can't remember much of it . It has had a small page added after it was published regarding how to avoid war boredom and slackness . His remedy was to cultivate a personal hatred against the enemy . He also produces a ' Game Book 'at the end of the book accounting for the Germans he may have killed . Has anyone come across it or read it as I have a lot of catching up to do with my reading and can advise .

I've read the book and it is one of my favourites. I particularly like his 'Game book'. the man had a marvellous sense of humour. He was the consummate professional soldier.

About a year ago I came across a first edition at a book fair; it 's full title was something along the lines of: With the Lancashire Lads. Field Guns in France. I'm glad I had a copy already as I might have bankrupted myself getting this one.

Garth

It is a great book, much beloved by an old Gunner Officer I used to know. Good coverage of the Somme and Arras; I believe it may have been republished by N&MP?