Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Guest Ian Tingay

Dick,

I note from your fist message on this thread that you have the unit history for the 11th Siege Battery RGA.

My great grandfather Gnr Percival Boulton 164368 was serving with this unit when he died on 24th March 1918. I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the unit's activities around that time, I suspect in the St. Quentin or Bapaume area? Could you also confirm my belief that the 11th was a unit made up of reservists and volunteers and what region of the UK it may have recruited from if any in particular? Also what guns were the battery using?

I see you have been so kind in finding out information for others in this thread so hope you will be able to assist.

Much gratitude in advance for anything you can offer.

Best Wishes,

Ian

Time permitting, I'm interested in the locations and activities of the 2nd Canadian and 24 Heavy Battery to the extent my research says the 152 Heavy Battery was assigned to or served with these.

Dates of interest:

20 March to 28 Oct 1917 (the 2nd Canadian HAG)

15 Nov 1917 to November 1918 (sister battery 24th Heavy)

My gratitude for any info

post-10810-1140616586.jpgpost-10810-1140616373.jpg

Hi - here's hoping you can help. I'm confused. I started my search with 1837 online where my relatives soldier details state he was in Royal Horse Artillery and R F Artillery. ? Further search found a medal card for him which states RFA twice. Rather than list all that stuff I'll attach a pic of him (he is on the right) and the card and hope you can find some more info for me when time allows - he was K in A 25/09/1917 France & Flanders - many thanks PS have heard from 'Papineau' very kindly that he may have been in a rifle regiment?

Looks like 11 th Brigade Royal Field Artillery (RFA) to me. His 'service number' looks like 27089 (unless my eyes are faulty). Elsewhere in the forum are some experts on identifying more particulars that stem from those numbers. Try a search using 'regimental numbers' to find that forum.

Very likely this fellow lost his life during the 3rd battle of Ypres.

There is also a RFA number out there somewhere that should indicate exactly which unit he was in. Sorry, my notes aren't good enough to show what units were in 11th Bde.

Looks like 11 th Brigade Royal Field Artillery (RFA) to me. His 'service number' looks like 27089 (unless my eyes are faulty). Elsewhere in the forum are some experts on identifying more particulars that stem from those numbers. Try a search using 'regimental numbers' to find that forum.

Very likely this fellow lost his life during the 3rd battle of Ypres.

There is also a RFA number out there somewhere that should indicate exactly which unit he was in. Sorry, my notes aren't good enough to show what units were in 11th Bde.

Thank you for your assistance - the number is 47089 - I'll try your suggestions and hopefully trace all info ultimately - with resting place if I can. Thanks again.

Greville Hubert Robins Blount was wounded at the 1st Battle of the Marne, near Courtchamps on 10th September 1914 and died two weeks later in the Australian Voluntary Hospital at St Nazaire. He is buried with one other officer and about 30 British and German soldiers in the Cimeterie des Toutes Aides, St Nazaire.

The cemetery plot is well cared for and the military graves represent an area of order in the midst of the more free-form local custom.

I have more information if it interests you!

Best regards

Chablo

QUOTE (Chris_B @ Nov 9 2005, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dick,

Many many thanks for all the detail about Gerville Blount, including his mother's name, which had eluded me. The TIMES newspaper has him born in Aldershot, but the detail you have matches that shown in De Ruivgny's Roll of Honour but has additional information that includes the crucial fact of where/when he was wounded, notice of which first appeared in the TIMES on the 17th.

As a point of interest, his name "BLOUNT G." appears on the Mitcham War Memorial to the fallen of the Great War, and a there is a memorial plaque to him in the Mitcham Parish Church of St.Peter and St.Paul which is not surprising as he was married to the youngest daughter of the Rev. Canon, Daniel Frederic Wilson, Vicar of Mitcham.

Blount's father, Charles Hubert Blount had also been an officer in the RA, and served as a Major in the South African War, where he had died of enteric fever. Such are fortunes of war.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi rflory,

When time allows, I would appreciate a look up of 3 soldiers I am researching.

Hill, Edward 34083 Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery 27th Siege Bty

Died Belgium 27/07/1917

And his brother

Hill, Patrick 6456 M.M. Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery 13th Siege Bty

Died Somme 17/09/1916

Any mention of what was happening around the time of their deaths.

Also their neighbour

Fowler, Bryan John 17166 Brigadier Royal Regiment of Artillery

He survived the war.

With Many Thanks

Isadore

Hi Dick

I'm currently researching the life of Lieutenant Robert Gilroy Bannernman of the 157th Brigade RFA. As far as I can make out he joined the unit around January 1916 and was KIA on the 25th July 1916. He is buried at Quarry Cemetery, Montauban.

Could you give me an idea as to where the 157th Brigade RFA were located from Jan 1916, but most of all could you tell me where they were on the date he was killed [25th July 1916]?

Regards

LIT

>>War Diary and Roll of Honour, 14th Heavy Battery, RGA in France, Belgium, Germany

Dear Dick,

The 126th Siege Battery that interests me:

"Went out to Western Front 25th July 1916, joined 14th H.A.G on the 2nd of August 1916."

Could you please tell me where the 14th Heavy were fighting around the 2nd of August 1916? Would be very much appreciated.

Died Belgium 27/07/1917

Isadore

I cannot help very much. Since Edward is at LIJSSENTHOEK, he most likely died at one of the group of Casualty Clearing Stations using that cemetery. These were Nos. 10, 17, 2 Cdn., and 3 Cdn. The diary of No. 3 Cdn. C.C.S. lists deaths for that period, but this fellow's name is not there. However, as an extra bit of information, we note the death on July 26th of 48035 Gnr. C. Oliver of the 27th Siege Bty. One might speculate that these two were wounded in the same strafe, or even by the same shell!

At this time the preliminary bombardment for the "Northern" offensive in front of Ypres was in progress. The diary of No. 2 Cdn. C.C.S. records that about 40 percent of the casuaties they admitted were from the artillery.

Sorry to be so sparse.

Lost in Tilloy wrote: "I'm currently researching the life of Lieutenant Robert Gilroy Bannernman of the 157th Brigade RFA. As far as I can make out he joined the unit around January 1916 and was KIA on the 25th July 1916. He is buried at Quarry Cemetery, Montauban.

Could you give me an idea as to where the 157th Brigade RFA were located from Jan 1916, but most of all could you tell me where they were on the date he was killed [25th July 1916]?"

I don't have anything on 157th Brigade, RFA but here is what I have on Lieutenant Robert Gilroy Bannerman, RFA:

Known as "Roy" he was born in 1894, the eldest son of William Bannerman, the Holm, Maxwelltown, Dumfries.

Educated at George Heriot's School from 1909 to 1912 where he played in the First XV and was a Cadet Corporal in the OTC, was a medalist in Latin and Chemistry, and a Joint Dux of School; and at the University of Edinburgh where he was a Student of the Arts from 1912 to 1915 and a Cadet Bombardier in the Artillery OTC.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in June 1915 and served with 157th Brigade, RFA

Promoted to Lieut, RFA in July 1916

Killed in action on 25 July 1916 near Montauban on the Somme

His younger brother, 2nd Lieut Eric Bannermanwas killed in action near Cambrai on 20 November 1917 while serving with the 1/8 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, TF

Sources: George Heriot School Roll of Honour, 1914-1919; University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour, 1914-1919.

There are photos of him in each of the two volumes. PM me if you would like me to email you scans of the photos. Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

Many thanks for looking and for the info on Robert G Bannerman. With regards to the photos, I also came across them at Edinburgh Central Library. Thanks for the kind offer anyway.

Regards

LIT

Looks like 11 th Brigade Royal Field Artillery (RFA) to me. His 'service number' looks like 27089 ...

Hi, sorry I haven't been back to this thread, should have let you know that alas, the medal card shown does not match the photo. When advised of the full details I saw that the parents of that particular Charlie Thomas were not a match to those I sought. I've been following this along in the Soldiers, arms, uniforms thread, still no success but very helpful as ever. many thanks.

Lyn

Guest mberwick

Dick,

When you have time would you please take a look at your copies of

London Gunners Come to Town (5, 6, 7, and 8 London Brigades, RFA TF)

Short Record of War Services of the 7th London Brigade, RFA TF

to see if they contain anything on Driver Charles Falconer Davidson, #1503, 19th Battery, 7th London Brigade R.F.A. who, having arrived in France on March 3rd 1915, was killed in action on January 9th 1916, aged 20.

According to a report in "The Sphere" on Aug 15th 1916, he died while saving his horses during German shelling. He took his own horses back to shelter then went back to try to save others. He had released one by cutting the traces when a shell burst nearby. The shell fragment which killed him passed through a picture of Lord Kitchener, which was found on him after his death. According to his Commanding Officer, Col. Lord Gorell's letter to his parents, Charles's last words were "How are my poor horses?" I have his C.W.G.C. entry and Medal Card.

Many thanks

Mike

I have the following Royal Artillery and Canadian Artillery unit histories and would be happy to do lookups as time permits:

Divisional Artilleries

Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artillery, 1914-1918

History of the 20th Divisional Artillery, 1914-1919

29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918

Brief History of 31st Divisional Artillery (officers only listed)

History of the 33rd Divisional Artillery in the War, 1914-1918

A Short History of the 39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery 1915-1918

War Services of the 62nd West Riding Divisional Artillery

Royal Field Artillery Brigades

The War History of the 1st Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF

War Diary of the 1st West Lancashire Brigade, RFA

A Short History of the 1st West Lancashire Artillery Brigade

Kamp News, 1915-1918 (3rd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF

Hertfordshire Yeomanry and Artillery Honours and Awards (4 E Anglican Bde, RFA TF)

Lewisham Gunners (4th Lond Howitzer Bde, RFA)

London Gunners Come to Town (5, 6, 7, and 8 London Brigades, RFA TF)

Short Record of War Services of the 7th London Brigade, RFA TF

25th Brigade Ammunition Column War Diary (1914)

Roll of Honour and Casualties and List of Officers who have served with 75th Brigade, RFA, 24

August to 11 November 1918.

Push and Return Push (82 Brigade, RFA

The Raising of the 157th Brigade (City of Aberdeen), RFA TF

The History of the Locally Raised 160th Wearside Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Exploits and Escapades, Brief History of happenings of the 3rd Staffs Battery, RFA

Before the Echoes Die Away (242 Bde, RFA, 5th Warsickshire (How) Battery)

The Story of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery (266 Bde, RFA TF)

Diex Aix: God Help Us (9 Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA)

Royal Field Artillery Batteries

2nd City of Edinburgh Battery, RFA, 1914-1918

Record of the 3rd Devonshire Battery (Tavistock), 4th Wessex Bde, RFA TF, The Great War,

1914-1919

Third Durham Volunteer Artillery (4th Durham Battery, RFA TF)

The Battery Book (1/6 Hants Battery, RFA TF)

The History of Strange’s Battery, Royal Artillery (8th Battery, RFA)

27th Battery, RFA, 1914-1919

The History of A Battery, 84th Brigade, RFA 1914-1919

Field Guns in France (D/151; A/150 Batteries, RFA)

The Long March, Story of “The Devils Own”, B/210 Burnley Battery, RFA 1914-1919

Over There, Commemorative History of the Old Leak Battery, 1908-1919 (C/231, RFA)

An Australian in the RFA (D/242, RFA

A Record of D245 Battery, 1914-1919

History of the Yarmouth Battery, 1569-1926 (A/270, A/264, A/272 Batteries, RFA)Romford to

Beirut via France, Egypt and Jericho (B/271, RFA)

Royal Horse Artillery Brigades and Batteries

History of the 1/1st Hants Royal Horse Artillery during the Great War, 1914-1919

Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery, 1912-1918

The War Diary of “E” Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, 5th Aug. 1914-31st Oct. 1919

The Story of “F” Troop, Royal Horse Artillery (F Bty, RHA)

Some Pages from the History of “Q” Battery, RHA in the Great War

Royal Garrison Artillery Brigades

The 25th Army Brigade, RGA on the Western Front in 1918

61, How Some Wheels Went Round (61 Heavy Artillery Group, RGA)

History of the 77th Bde, RGA, France 1916-19

Nine Days: Adventures of a Heavy Artillery Brigade of the Third Army during the German

Offensive of March 21-29, 1918 (90 Brigade, RGA)

Heavy Batteries, RGA

9 Heavy Battery, RGA, 1914-1919

War Diary and Roll of Honour, 14th Heavy Battery, RGA in France, Belgium, Germany

With the Heavies in Flanders (24 Heavy Battery, RGA)

Dads Diary, A Gunners Experience in War, 1914-1918 (121 Heavy Battery, RGA)

126 Heavy Battery, RGA, 1915-1919

The Hampstead Heavies (138 Heavy Battery, RGA)

Diary of 144th (York) Heavy Battery, RGA, 1915-1919

Siege Batteries, RGA

The Eleventh Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918

Notes of History of 19th Siege Battery, RGA

20th Siege Battery, RGA, BEF, France and Flanders, 20th June 1915-11th November 1918

27th Siege Battery, RGA, BEF, France and Flanders, 5 Sept 1915 to 15 Apr 1919.

Memoirs of 42 Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918

52 Siege Battery, RGA, August 1915-August 1919

A Short History of the 72nd (South African) Siege Battery

The History of 76 Siege Battery, RGA

History of 81 Siege Battery, RGA

History of the 91st (Siege) Battery, RGA, December 1915 to 11 November 1918

Siege Battery 94 During the World War, 1914-1918

Occasional Gunfire, Private War Diary of a Siege Gunner (118 Siege Battery, RGA)

126th Heavy Battery, RGA 1915-1919

History of the 135th Siege Battery, RGA

144th Siege Battery, R. G. A.

A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA, France 1916-19

Nominal Roll of 170th Siege Battery, RGA

178 Siege Battery, R. G. A., B. E. F. France

“Two Eleven,” Being the History of 211 Siege Battery, R. G. A. on the Western Front

220th Siege Battery, R. G. A.

“228”, The History of a Siege Battery during the Great War

History of 250 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

With a Siege Battery in France, 303 Siege Battery, RGA

London Gunners (309 (Hon Arty Co) Siege Battery, RGA)

The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War

332 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

The Record of 355 Siege Battery

A Short Record of the 359th Siege Battery RGA

Canadian Field Artillery

Gun-Fire, An Historical Narrative of the 4th Brigade, CFA

NREF, 16th Brigade, C.F.A.

The Battery, The History of 10th (St. Catherines) Field Battery, RCA (10 Bty, CFA)

The Diary of the 13th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery 1914-1919

Battery Action! The Story of the 43rd Battery, CFA

The History of the Fifty-Fifth Battery, CFA

The 60th C. F. A. Battery Book, 1916-1919

The Story of the Sixty-Sixth C. F. A. (66 Bty, CFA)

Second Canadian Divisional Ammunition Column and Its Part in the Great World War

Canadian Siege Artillery

The Seventh (7 Siege Battery, CGA)

War Diary, 10th Canadian Siege Battery, 1917-1919

Paul wrote: "I don't see the units in your list, so I don't suppose that you have any information about the 221st Siege Battery RGA, or the 33rd Brigade RGA, particularly around October 1917?"

Paul: Unfortunately I have nothing on either of those units for that period of time. Dick Flory

Ian wrote: "I note from your fist message on this thread that you have the unit history for the 11th Siege Battery RGA.

My great grandfather Gnr Percival Boulton 164368 was serving with this unit when he died on 24th March 1918. I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the unit's activities around that time, I suspect in the St. Quentin or Bapaume area? Could you also confirm my belief that the 11th was a unit made up of reservists and volunteers and what region of the UK it may have recruited from if any in particular? Also what guns were the battery using?

I see you have been so kind in finding out information for others in this thread so hope you will be able to assist."

Ian: From 9 January 1918 to the end of the war, the 11th Siege Battery was serving under 14th Brigade, RGA and was armed with 6-inch Breach Loading Howitzers, Mark 1. I can't tell you exactly where they were on 24th March 1918. The unit was one of the last siege batteries made up of regulars drawn up from drafts from 29th Company at Portsmouth, 28th and 30th Companies at Weymouth, 10th, 43rd and 49th Companies from Queenstown, and 41st, 45th and 36th Companies from Plymouth.

According to "Soldiers Died" 164368 Gnr Percival Boulton, was born in Bradford and enlisted at Ilford, Essex. He was Killed in Action.

Regards. Dick Flory

bcarleton wrote: "Time permitting, I'm interested in the locations and activities of the 2nd Canadian and 24 Heavy Battery to the extent my research says the 152 Heavy Battery was assigned to or served with these.

Dates of interest:

20 March to 28 Oct 1917 (the 2nd Canadian HAG)

15 Nov 1917 to November 1918 (sister battery 24th Heavy)"

I am not particularly knowledgeable concerning Canadian HAGs but the war diaries for most Canadian units can be found at: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

From Nov 1917 to Nov 1918, 24th Heavy Battery was at the following locations:

Nov 1917 to 3 Feb 1918 at Zillebeke

11 Feb 1918 to 21 Mar 1918 at Athies

21 Mar 1918 to 2 Apr 1918 retreated through St. Nicholas, Boisleux-au-mont, St Leger, Hendecourt, and Courcelles.

3 Apr 1918 to early June near Ayette

4 Jun 1918 to 201 Aug 1918 near Bailleulmont

21 Aug 1918 to 24 Aug 1918 near Douchy-les-Ayette

24 Aug 1918 to 29 Aug 1918 near Courcelles-le-Comte

During the rest of August through November 1918 the battery advanced through Gomiecourt, Mory, Morchies, Doignies, Hermies, Marcoing, Rumilly Chateau, Cambrai, Carnieres, Boussieres, St. Vaast, St Python, Capelle, firing it last round at Obies on 8 Nov 1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

Isadore wrote: "When time allows, I would appreciate a look up of 3 soldiers I am researching.

Died Belgium 27/07/1917

And his brother

Hill, Patrick 6456 M.M. Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery 13th Siege Bty

Died Somme 17/09/1916

Also their neighbour

Fowler, Bryan John 17166 Brigadier Royal Regiment of Artillery

He survived the war. "

Interestingly "27th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery" lists 34038 Gnr E. Hill as wounded on 27 July 1917 but does not list him as dying from those wounds.

Unfortunately I have nothing on either of your other men. Dick Flory

Jeanpaulbenoit wrote: "Could you please tell me where the 14th Heavy were fighting around the 2nd of August 1916? Would be very much appreciated."

On 1 and 2 Aug 1917 the 14th Heavy Battery was fighting around Moquet Farm. Dick Flory

Jeanpaulbenoit wrote: "Could you please tell me where the 14th Heavy were fighting around the 2nd of August 1916? Would be very much appreciated."

On 1 and 2 Aug 1917 the 14th Heavy Battery was fighting around Moquet Farm. Dick Flory

The Somme Offensive then... Thanks Dick. Much obliged.

J.P.

Hello, RFLORY

My grandfather, Robert DAVIES, born 1891, Cromer, Norfolk, England served in the Royal Field Artillery in WW1. I haven't confirmed this yet, but I believe he was in the 126 Battery, Subsection B, 29th Brigade.

My grandfather was wounded in battle and he was later sent to Chelmsford, Essex to convalesce.

I am on the quest for any information about his unit and the gunners he served with. Would you have any information on the above regiment? If so, I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

Many thanks in advance,

Ros Davies

British Columbia

Dick,

Please excuse my tardiness in replying. Thank you very much for the info very much appreciated.

Kindregards

Martyn

Can anyone help me with the location of 41 Bty, 42 Bde. on 9th April, 1917. Grandfather joined up as a Gunner or Driver, RFA and got a Blighty just outside Arras on that date, but I cant seem to find where the guns were. I'm pretty sure he was taken to a Field Dressing Station at Tilloy before being sent home.

Keith

Guest Ian Tingay
Ian wrote: "I note from your fist message on this thread that you have the unit history for the 11th Siege Battery RGA.

I see you have been so kind in finding out information for others in this thread so hope you will be able to assist."

Ian: From 9 January 1918 to the end of the war, the 11th Siege Battery was serving under 14th Brigade, RGA and was armed with 6-inch Breach Loading Howitzers, Mark 1. I can't tell you exactly where they were on 24th March 1918. The unit was one of the last siege batteries made up of regulars drawn up from drafts from 29th Company at Portsmouth, 28th and 30th Companies at Weymouth, 10th, 43rd and 49th Companies from Queenstown, and 41st, 45th and 36th Companies from Plymouth.

According to "Soldiers Died" 164368 Gnr Percival Boulton, was born in Bradford and enlisted at Ilford, Essex. He was Killed in Action.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick, thanks for the look-up. Can you tell me where 14th Brigade RGA would've been operating around March 24th 1918? I was assuming my GGF was caught up in the Spring Offensive given the date he died and that he is commemorated at the Arras Memorial. The LLT suggests that 14th Brigade was part of the Fourth Army as of November 1918, but would've had to have been part of Third or Fifth Armies to have been caught up in the Spring Offensive? Or am I wrong? Many thanks again, Ian