Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

I was interested to see that you have a history of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery. My great grandfather joined that unit in 1900. I understand that it became 4th Welsh Bde in the 53rd Welsh Div in 1908. From 1914 he was apptd Staff Capt in 53rd Div Arty, then var other appointments and finally CO C/265 being disembodied in July 1919. Your title has 266 so I'm not yet sure how it all works, I need to do some more homework.

I know there is a history of the 53rd Div but I'd be grateful if you could give me the full details of the MVA book, I'll try to look it up here somewhere (eg IWM or BL).

Julian: The book is: The Story of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery by Capt. John More and Col. W L C Phillips. I have a fairly extensive database on Royal Artillery officers in the Great War - send me your ggf name and I will see what I have on him. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks, his name was Ronald Wyman.

I was going to send you a photograph of the battery officers in Nov 1918, but I still haven't a clue about resizing them.

Next time !

ulian

sorry, I meant to add that it was the 1st Mon Vol Arty that he was first comm into, he ended up as Major in 1919, but of course only became a 'full time soldier' in 1914. His service file does exist at the PRO but does not have much detail. I have not looked up any War Diaries - of 53 Div or its artillery components - yet. But any pre war info would be interesting.

thanks again

Thanks, his name was Ronald Wyman.

Here is what I have on him:

Major Ronald Wyman, RFA

Born 21 Aug 72, the third son of W S Wyman, MD of Putney

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1887 to 1889

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut in the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery on 28 March 1900 and was posted to No. Battery.

Promoted to Lieutenant on 3 April 1901

In 1902 he married Ethel Anna, the eldest daughter of David Martin of Rostrevor, Co. Down

In 1908 the 1st Monmouthshire Vol. Arty was redesignated as the 4th Welsh Brigade, RFA TF and he was posted as a Lieutenant to the 1st Monmouthshire Battery of that Brigade.

Retired 1910

Mobilized in 1914 as a Captain with a date of rank of 4 June 1913

On 5 Aug 1914 he was appointed as Staff Captain, 4th Welsh Brigade, RFA

Promoted to Major on 1 June 1916

Appointed as a Deputy Assistant Quartermaster General on 31 July 1917

Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette of 12 January 1920 for service with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.

Awarded the Territorial Decoration in the London Gazette of 15 July 1919

Disembodied in 1919

Sources: Charterhouse Register, 1872-1931; Charterhouse in London, 1921; various Army Lists.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

That's fantastic. I knew the basics of that but a few things have been illuminated, I'm sending you some more details for your database to your e-mail. As soon as I understand the technology of 'resizing' photographs for e-mail I will, with pleasure, send you a few pictures.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rflory

My Father served in the Royal Regiment of Artillery from 1910 until 1926

unfortunatly he died in 1955 when I was 5 .i have various records which list the countries he served in but i would like to know the actual locations and anything else possible about his regiment.his name was Frederick Walter Roper according to his cert of service his army number was 1405413 ,i also have another document which quotes 32925 sergeant F W Roper.

rflory if you or anyone else could help me fill in some blanks i would be very grateful

Andy R

Hello Dick,

i am researching the following soldier,

CAWOOD, Harry, 79192, DVR., Killed in action, France & Flanders, 02/07/16, Royal

Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery.

Harry was a driver with "B" Bty 52nd Bde R.F.A, which was part of 9th (Scottish)Division, 4th Army if i am correct, could you please have a look in your impressive collection and see if there is any mention of the brigade, on or around the 2nd of July, any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Very intrested in the History of the 91st (Siege) Battery, RGA, December 1915 to 11 November 1918 as my Grandfather Richard Shrive was with them over this period. Is the History you hold by Major Christian dated 1920 Tynemouth or some other.

Regards

Mike Reeve

Very intrested in the History of the 91st (Siege) Battery, RGA, December 1915 to 11 November 1918 as my Grandfather Richard Shrive was with them over this period. Is the History you hold by Major Christian dated 1920 Tynemouth or some other.

Mike: The book I have is the one by Major Christian. Have you seen this book or would you like me to search it for mention of Captain Shrive? He appears to be mentioned often due to the fact that he was one of two officers with the battery the entire time they were overseas. Let me know if you want the information. Regards. Dick Flory

Harry was a driver with "B" Bty 52nd Bde R.F.A, which was part of 9th (Scottish)Division, 4th Army if i am correct, could you please have a look in your impressive collection and see if there is any mention of the brigade, on or around the 2nd of July, any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated

Peter: The 52nd Brigade was very involved on the Somme on the 1st of July 1916 and was heavily bombarded by counter battery fire on the 2nd, but I can find nothing directly relating to

'B' Battery of the brigade on that day. You might want to check the 52nd Brigade's War Diary for that day. It can be found in the National Archives (PRO) at WO95/1752. For background material on the brigade you might want to consult A Subaltern's Odyssey: A Memoir of the Great War 1915-1917 by R B Talbot Kelly who was an officer with 'A' Battery, 52nd Brigade, RFA in July 1916.

Regards. Dick Flory

Peter: The 52nd Brigade was very involved on the Somme on the 1st of July 1916 and was heavily bombarded by counter battery fire on the 2nd,

Hello Dick,

thankyou very much for taking the time to look through your collection of books it really is appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Hi Dick

Any chance of a look-up on

Gunner 836307 Edwin Knight

'B' Battery 242nd Brigade

Died of wounds 4.5.17 probably received whilst behind Vimy Ridge night of 19/20 April 1917.

What guns were used by 'B' Battery?

Thanks

Dave

Gunner 836307 Edwin Knight

'B' Battery 242nd Brigade

Died of wounds 4.5.17 probably received whilst behind Vimy Ridge night of 19/20 April 1917.

What guns were used by 'B' Battery?

242nd Army Brigade, RFA became an Army Brigade on 20 Jan 1917 after service with the 48th Divisional Artillery as 1/3rd South Midland Brigade, RFA TF. A, B and C Batteries were armed with 18 pdrs and D Battery with 4.5" Howitzers. From 15 Apr to 18 Apr 1917 the brigade was serving with the 3rd Canadian Division of the Canadian Corps. From 19 May to 23 May 1917 it was on the move to join the New Zealand Division of the Anzac Corps.

I don't have anything specific about the Brigade during the period 19/20 April 1917 but would suggest that you look at the following two sources:

1. Before the Echoes Die Away contains quite a bit of information concerning 242 Brigade including excerpts from the diary of Major H P Haynes who was with the Brigade for most of the war and who commanded B Battery during the period of interest to you.

2. The Brigade's War Diary for the period Jan 1917 to Feb 1919, which can be found at the PRO/National Archives at WO95/205.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dear Dick

Thanks for the info.

I'll have to get hold of a copy of 'Before the echoes die away'.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

i'm trying to find information on 40934 corporal henry augustus morris bilston mm

k.i.a. 27/9/18 27th siege bty royal garrison artillery ,any information at all

thanks

enoch

Hi Dick,

I'm researching 7th Siege Battery RGA. Do you have any information on these Officers that formed the Battery. Taken from the War Diary.

Also any idea why Capt Stephens and Lt Wehner didn't go did they go at a later date?

Woolwich

Battery formed. Officers: Major R.H.F.McCulloch DSO, Capts E.F.Creswell, R.D Crawford, L.R.E.W. Taylor. Lieutenants Renshaw, H.S.Smithers, V.Pellew. Attached Lieut Wellesley RE, Capt H.H.Leeson RAMC. The NCOs and men of the RGA joined from companies at SHEERNESS, DOVER and PLYMOUTH. Capt Stephens CORK RGA (S.R) and Lieut Wehner RGA also joined, but did not proceed with Battery

Thanks

Terry Barrett

West Aust

I'm researching 7th Siege Battery RGA. Do you have any information on these Officers that formed the Battery. Taken from the War Diary.

Also any idea why Capt Stephens and Lt Wehner didn't go did they go at a later date?

Woolwich

Battery formed. Officers: Major R.H.F.McCulloch DSO, Capts E.F.Creswell, R.D Crawford, L.R.E.W. Taylor. Lieutenants Renshaw, H.S.Smithers, V.Pellew. Attached Lieut Wellesley RE, Capt H.H.Leeson RAMC. The NCOs and men of the RGA joined from companies at SHEERNESS, DOVER and PLYMOUTH. Capt Stephens CORK RGA (S.R) and Lieut Wehner RGA also joined, but did not proceed with Battery

The answer as to why Stepens and Wehner did not go to France with the battery is given in The Gunner, May 1968 pages 104 to 106 in an article entitled: "Mother" Joins the Regiment.

It states that "Capt. B. T. Stephens and Lt. A. H. Wehner joined them [the 7th Siege Battery] with the 9.2 inch howitzer ['Mother"]. 7th Siege Battery left Woolwich on 2nd October but the howitzer could not go with them. It was found that as a result of firing proof rounds, the pickets securing the bedplate and beams to the ground had been bent and could not be moved. The gun could not therefore be dismounted. This necessitated the issue of fresh orders and 8th Siege Battery, R.G.A., who were forming at Woolwich under Major A H Webb, armed with 6 inch guns, were told to take it to France with them. Capt. Stephens and Lt. Wehner were attached to Major Webb's Battery for this purpose."

Here are short biographies of the RA officers you mentioned in your message:

Major Robert Henry Frederick McCulloch, RGA: Born 21 Oct 69. Commissioned Lieut, RA on 27 Jul 91; Temp. Brig. Gen. 4 Feb 17. Served in Matabeleland in 1896, Wounded, Mentioned in Despateches and Distinguished Service Order, LG 7 May 97. Served in South African War.

During Great War was Brigadier General, Heavy Corps for 19 Corps, and later, 11 Corps. CMG, LG 3 Jun 18; MID, LG 15 Jun 16 and 30 May 18. Officer, O St Maurice and St Lazarus (Italy), LG 12 Sep 18; Officer, Legion of Honor (France), LG 13 Feb 17; Croix de Guerre (France) LG 17 Aug 18.

Capt. Edmund Fraser Creswell, RGA Born 17 Dec 76; educated at Wellington College and RMA, Woolwich. 2nd Lieut, RA on 21 May 96; Bvt. Lt. Col, RGA on 1 Jan 18. Served Waziristan, 1901-02. During the Great War served on the staff and as Commandant of the AA School of Gunnery, GHQ. DSO, LG 3 Jun 16; MID: LG 22 Jun 15, 1 Jan 16, 15 Jun 16, 7 Jul 19.

Capt. Robert Duncan Crawford, RGA Born 16 Sep 80. 2nd Lieut,RGA on 23 Jun 99; Bvt Lt.

Col., 3 Jun 18. Served in South African War. DSO, LG 14 Jan 16; MID: LG 1 Jan 16, 15 Aug 17, 28 Nov 17, 30 Jan 19, Salonika. Greek Medal for Military Merit, 3rd Class.

Capt. Lyster Robert Edward Waters Taylor, RGA Born 18 Jan 82. 2nd Lieut, RGA, 2 May 00; Major, RGA, 30 Dec 15. DSO, LG 3 Jun 18; MID: LG 18 May 17, 14 Dec 17, 21 May 18.

Capt. Barton Theodore Stephens, RGA Born 31 Oct 82; educated at RMA Woolwich. 2nd Lieut., RGA 31 Jul 02; Retired Pay, 24 Apr 12; Acting Major, Cork RGA, 15 Feb 17. From 15 Sep 17 until the end of the war he was Second-in-Command of the Central Siege School at Lydd.

Lieut. Reginald Ashley Renshaw, RGA Born 27 Feb 81; Served with Militia Artillery. Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., RGA on 4 Dec 01; Major, RGA, 1 May 17.

Lieut. Harold Smithers, RGA Born at New York City on 23 Sep 81. Educated at Weymouth College. 2nd Lieut. RGA on 24 May 02; Major, RGA on 16 Sep 16. Killed in action at Fricourt on 4 Nov 16 while Officer Commanding, 170 Siege Battery, RGA.

Lieut. Vivian Humphrey Langford Pellew, RGA Born 7 May 81. Served with Militia Artillery. Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., RGA on 24 May 02; Major, RGA on 1 May 17. Military Cross, LG 1 Jan 17; MID, LG 1 Jan 26.

Lieut. Arthur Francis Percival Wehner, RGA Born on 15 Mar 83. Educated at Wellington College and RMA Woolwich. 2nd Lieut., RGA on 21 Dec 01; Major, RGA on 1 May 17. OBE, LG

3 Jun 19. After the war was Assistant Master of Bedford School.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Apart from the War Diary for 7th Siege Bty RGA, (which has many pages missing) are there any other documents or books on the battery?.

I have some more names I have extracted from the War Diary if you could help me with information on these Officers:

2Lt LAURIE

2Lt HOBSON

Lt F.W.H. SIMPSON

Lt A.A. BOWSER

2Lt H A BOWSER

2Lt S R CHAPMAN RGA/Bedfordshire Regt

Lt F CORNER RGA/Bedfordshire Regt

2Lt J H COOKE

I assume that the two entries for Bowser are for the same person H A Bowser.

I have the names of ASC officers attached to the Battery I don't know if you could help me with those.

Many Thanks

Terry Barrett

West Aust

Hi Dick,

I don't know if you are interested but I have just gone all of the pages of the War Diary that I have been able to obtain, for 7th Siege Bty and extracted all of the officers, listing dates joining leaving prom etc encluding promotion from the ranks. in excel form.

Terry

I have some more names I have extracted from the War Diary if you could help me with information on these Officers:

2Lt LAURIE

2Lt HOBSON

Lt F.W.H. SIMPSON

Lt H.A. BOWSER

2Lt S R CHAPMAN RGA/Bedfordshire Regt

Lt F CORNER RGA/Bedfordshire Regt

2Lt J H COOKE

Lt Howard Arthur Bowser, RGA

Temp. Major, RGA, 16 Sep 16; DSO, LG 1 May 19 for service as OC, 171 Sg By, RGA; Croix de Guerre (France), LG 1 May 17.

Lt John Harbourne Cooke, RGA

BA, U Dublin, 1913; 2Lt, RGA SR, Oct 14; Lieut., 1916; 2nd Lieut., RGA, Aug 16; Military Cross.

2Lt. John Raymond Laurie, RGA

Born, 19 May 94; Lancing College from Sept 10 to Jul 12; RMA Woolwich; Capt, RGA 3 Nov 17.

Lt. Frank William Harris Simpson, RGA

Born, 28 Oct 91; RMA Woolwich. 2Lt., RGA, 20 Jul 11; KIA, 16 Feb 17, attached 53 Sqdn, RFC.

I need some help with the "2Lt Hobson." There were seven RGA officers with that last name.

There is no evidence that I can find that 2Lt S R Chapman and Lt F Corner ever served with the RGA. Corner is an officer in the Bedfordshire Regt in 1915 and in the London Regt in 1919 and Corner is listed in the Bedfordshire Regt from 1915 to 1918.

Two additional officers who served in the 7 Sg By, RGA are in my database:

Lieut. James Attenborough Cullen, RGA

Educated at Wycliffe School from 1904-05; served in South African Rebellion and in SW Africa from 1914-15 with the 1st Rhodesian Regt. Served in France with the 7th Siege Battery from 1917-1918. After war he served as Chief Clerk, Native Affairs Dept., Salisbury, Rhodesia.

Capt. Robert Thomas Moline Haines, RGA

Educated at Clifton College from May 05 to Jul 10 and at Caisus College, Cambridge. Served in ranks in 5th Corps Heavy Artillery and as Captain in the 7th Siege Battery, RGA. After the war was engaged in research work at Caisus College, Cambridge. Research Chemist, Crooke's Laboratory, Ltd., Park Royal since 1923. Served in Home Guard in WW2.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

With regards to Chapman and CornerI picked up the information from the Pro MIC so there could be a transcription error.

Regards

Terry Barrett

Hi Dick,

2Lt G.V. Hobson RGA Wounded 16 Jun 1915

2 Lt E.A. Lee Prom Lt wef 9 Jun 15

Sgt R.G. Morrison RGA Prom 2Lt wef 22 Dec 14 Posted wef 24 Dec 14

2Lt McD.Murray Attached to Bty wef 3 Jul 15

2Lt W.R. Nelson RGA Joined Bty wef 8 Jul 15posted Kite Balloon Sect wef 24 Sep 15

Capt R.C.W.A Firebrace Joined Bty wef 21 Aug 15

Sgt W.R. Harwood RGA Prom 2Lt wef 31 Aug 15 Posted to UK wef 7 Sep 15

Sgt V,L, Hill RGA Prom 2Lt wef 31 Aug 15 Posted to UK wef 7 Sep 15

2Lt G.S. Bower Joined unit wef 1 Jan 17

Sgt C.K. Morgan Prom 2Lt wef 3 Feb 17 Posted 149 Siege Bty wef 7 Feb 17

2Lt K.N. Brown

Capt R.W. Trechman Posted England wef 13 Jul 17

2Lt E.W.A. Salmon Joined Bty wef 28 Sep 17

2Lt S.E. Roe Joined Bty wef 27 Dec 17

All from the Bty's War Dairy

I'm doing research on my great grandfather:

Gunner WILLIAM ROWBOTTOM

16548, "C" Bty. 149th Bde., Royal Field Artillery

died age 27

07 June 1917

Buried in Lyssenthoek Cemetary.

Any information that may be available or help in knowing where to get more details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stu.