Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Hi,

A bit of a long shot, but since your original post, have you any info on B Battery RHA, I think they were part of 29 Division? that went to Gallipoli Apr / May 1915. My Great Uncle, Dvr William Phillips was there according to his Medal Index Card. I have an old photo in my possession of him on horseback, taken sometime during the war. If you have any info it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Marcus

Marcus,

How much do you know about B Battery? At Gallipoli they, along with H & Y Batteries formed 15th Brigade, RHA, a part of29th Divisional Artillery. Have you seen "29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918"? It was written by Lieut.-Colonel R. M. Johnson. If their War Diaries are not at Kew, the 29th Divisional Artillery's are.

Mike Morrison

Marcus,

How much do you know about B Battery? At Gallipoli they, along with H & Y Batteries formed 15th Brigade, RHA, a part of29th Divisional Artillery. Have you seen "29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918"? It was written by Lieut.-Colonel R. M. Johnson. If their War Diaries are not at Kew, the 29th Divisional Artillery's are.

Mike Morrison

Thanks for the reply Mike.

The only info I have on B Battery is a list of battles they fought in from the RHA MoD website. Thats it. I live in Cornwall which is a fair distance from Kew. Would B Battery have stayed as part of 15 Brigade?

Marcus

Check out this page on The Long, Long Trail - (http://www.1914-1918.net/rha.htm). It appears to be a little confused as it's calling 15th Brigade the 16th Brigade, but aside from that, it appears B Battery RHA remained with 15 Brigade.

Another source for information about their exploits at Gallipoli is "The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base 1914-18" by General Sir Martin Farndale (I wish they had come up with another name - 'Forgotten'?!). Although there are some flaws, it is overall an excellent source and discusses B Battery's exploits at Gallipoli. B Battery was apparently in India with 1st Brigade, RHA at the outbreak of war (at Umballa?).

It looks as if they stayed with 29th Division after Gallipoli, fighting the remainder of the war in France. The book, "29th Divisional Artillery War Record & Honours Book, 1915-1918" mentioned earlier should give you more detail.

I hope this is some help.

Mike Morrison

Mike,

Thanks once again for your help. I will try and get hold of the books you mentioned for more info.

I note from the link that landings at Cape Helles started on 25 Apr 1915, my Great Uncles Medal Index Card states Theatre of War first served in 2B (which I know was the Dardenelles), but Date of Entry therin as 10 May 1915 - would it have taken over two weeks for the landings to take place, or could he have arrived on a later ship as part of 15 Bgde. Perhaps the RHA would not have been needed at first?

Best I get reading those books!

Marcus

Hi Paul,

It would be great if they did! The NA doesn't have a copy of the war diary, and the from reply I had from Firepower it appears they don't either. For years now I've been trying to find out 5th Battery's where-abouts in the last week of June 1916. If it still exists, I'd be very interested if in the war diary entry for 27th June there was any mention of the incident in which my gg uncle was mortally wounded and 4 of his mates were killed.

cheers

Steve

Steve

I have just found the number for 45 Bde diary which is WO95/1694

It will be a while before I go and visit but it should have some interesting details that I do not yet posses. Hope this helps

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay - I only just saw your reply!

Some time back Chris Baker did some research for me regarding my gg uncle and found that the 45th Brigade diary, at least with regard to the disposition of the component batteries for the end of June 1916, was pretty generalised. According to the diary the batteries were then situated across the Ancre valley and on the Bouzincourt Ridge - though it doesn't say which batteries were placed where or the exact locations. I suspect (though of course this is purely conjecture) that since my gg uncle and his comrades from the 5th Bty ended up at the 90th Field Ambulance (a 32nd Division FA) at Bouzincourt, the 5th Bty may have been the battery located somewhere on Bouzincourt Ridge.

If you do have any luck with your contacts in 19 Regt RA regarding the existence of the 5th Battery War Diary I'd be very interested to hear.

Hope your 1st Battery research is going well!

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi rflory

any chance you would have any info in your files regarding a Sergeant William John Henry RA,i know he served Malta circa 1882,and that he was deceased by nov 1908.

This the elusive relative, you did check for an officer of the name Henry for me some time ago that turned out to be an incorrect family oral history.

regards Neddan

Hello Dick, Could you if possible give me an overview of where the Honourable Artillery Company were in WW1, i.e theartres of war, battles etc, Regards John

Neddan wrote: "any chance you would have any info in your files regarding a Sergeant William John Henry RA,i know he served Malta circa 1882,and that he was deceased by nov 1908.

This the elusive relative, you did check for an officer of the name Henry for me some time ago that turned out to be an incorrect family oral history."

Neddan: Unfortunately, as my interest is Royal Artillery officers in the Great War I have nothing on your Sergeant Henry. Regards. Dick Flory

John wrote: "Hello Dick, Could you if possible give me an overview of where the Honourable Artillery Company were in WW1, i.e theartres of war, battles etc, "

John: This is a rather large request as the HAC had nine units during the Great War and many HAC officers and men served with units outside of the HAC. I would suggest that you try to find a copy of " The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War" by G Goold Walker which tells the history of the HAC in the war in some 590 pages.

Listed below are the nine units of the HAC and the the theaters in which they served:

1st Battalion, HAC - Western Front

2nd Battalion, HAC - Western Front and Italy

A Battery, HAC - Egypt and Palestine

B Battery, HAC - Egypt and Palestine

309th Siege Battery, HAC - Western Front

2/A Battery, HAC - Western Front

2/B Battery, HAC - Western Front

3rd Battalion, HAC - England

Depot, HAC - England

Regards. Dick Flory

John wrote: "Hello Dick, Could you if possible give me an overview of where the Honourable Artillery Company were in WW1, i.e theartres of war, battles etc, "

John: This is a rather large request as the HAC had nine units during the Great War and many HAC officers and men served with units outside of the HAC. I would suggest that you try to find a copy of " The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War" by G Goold Walker which tells the history of the HAC in the war in some 590 pages.

Listed below are the nine units of the HAC and the the theaters in which they served:

Depot, HAC - England

Thanks for that Dick, I will try to get that book, Regards John

Regards. Dick Flory

Depot, HAC - England

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks for that Dick, I will try to get that book, Regards John

• 5 weeks later...

Dick,

Please could you let me know what "228". The history of a siege battery during the Great War; has to say about the origins of the battery?

Many thanks,

David

David wrote: "Please could you let me know what "228". The history of a siege battery during the Great War; has to say about the origins of the battery?"

It indicates that "228th Siege Battery was formed at Edinburgh (King's Park) on 31st August, 1916, and contained a large proportion of men of the Forth R. G. A."

Regards. Dick Flory

Colin wrote: "I would appreciate anything on 'D' Battery 312th brigade West Riding RFA "

Colin: I have "War Services of the 62nd Divisional Artillery 1914-1918" and "West Riding Territorials in the Great War" both of which give extensive information about 312th Brigade, RFA and its batteries. Can you be somewhat more specific about the information you are looking for? Regards. Dick Floyr

Good evening Dick

I must admit to feeling a measure of guilt in asking you to do a look up for me. First, judging by the trail of post, your having generously offered to do look ups, everybody and their dog went and took you up on it! And here I am adding to the pile! And, second, I have actually ordered the book I want a look up in but will not receive it until near Christmas and I am, I confess, the impatient type.

All of which is to say, if you could look up in your D Battery, 245 Bde RFA and see if there is any mention of a Driver Thomas Dodd. He was wounded (gassed and I think shot) in 1917 and I am pretty sure of his unit at the time, but I am on pins and needles to see if the book can confirm this.

And please note, as I am just impatient and not actually at a research dead end like others, please treat this request as a priority 3. Or 4. Regards and thanks for the kind offer.

Colin

post-14097-1194628016.jpg

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your quick response.

I understand what you are saying - V=heavy and X=10th. corps

What I want to know is the number of grandfathers battery in order to follow his experiences.

Here are an addition pieces of info to help you.

(a) I would love to send an attachment of gunner Fox's medal role but have no clue how to re-size it.

Suffice it to say:

64640 Gnr. Fox, Charles Albert, Base Dtls. R.G.A.

He and two others on the page have a designation of: Base Dtls. R.G.A. while all the rest have 85th. Sge. Battery R.G.A.

My understanding of the difference is that as the targets of opportunity for the battery's 12 inch railway guns had lessened entering 1918, some of it's men, Charles as an example, were transferred to handle captured German 7.7 inch guns.

Doug Fox

Colin wrote: "I must admit to feeling a measure of guilt in asking you to do a look up for me. First, judging by the trail of post, your having generously offered to do look ups, everybody and their dog went and took you up on it! And here I am adding to the pile! And, second, I have actually ordered the book I want a look up in but will not receive it until near Christmas and I am, I confess, the impatient type.

All of which is to say, if you could look up in your D Battery, 245 Bde RFA and see if there is any mention of a Driver Thomas Dodd. He was wounded (gassed and I think shot) in 1917 and I am pretty sure of his unit at the time, but I am on pins and needles to see if the book can confirm this.

And please note, as I am just impatient and not actually at a research dead end like others, please treat this request as a priority 3. Or 4. Regards and thanks for the kind offer."

Colin: I can not find your Dvr. Thomas Dodd in the nominal roll of those who went to France with the battery in the back of the book nor in the list of casualties. Is it possible that he belonged to another battery in the brigade? What is his regimental number? Regards. Dick Flory

Doug Fox wrote: "What I want to know is the number of grandfathers battery in order to follow his experiences."

Doug: His battery is V/X Heavy Trench Mortar Battery, RGA. Regards. Dick Flory

Colin wrote: "I would appreciate anything on 'D' Battery 312th brigade West Riding RFA "

Colin: I have "War Services of the 62nd Divisional Artillery 1914-1918" and "West Riding Territorials in the Great War" both of which give extensive information about 312th Brigade, RFA and its batteries. Can you be somewhat more specific about the information you are looking for? Regards. Dick Floyr

Hi Dick

Thank you for your reply ~ I have a Military Medal which was awarded to Drv Willie Ellis RFA on April 6th 1917 according to information I already have there appears to heve been an incident at 10.12pm in Ervillers which caused casualties to 'D' Battery

I am trying to find out further information relating to this incident if possible ~ I recognise the information you have will not quote specific names but you may be able to give a more detailed picture as to what actually happened that day

Hope you can help

Thank you

Regards..Colin

Colin: 786012 Dvr. W. Ellis of 312 Brigade was gazetted for the MM in the London Gazette of 11 May 1917 for an action on 6 April 1917 according to the "War Services of the 62nd Divisional Artillery." That book has the following information:

"On the 5th [of April 1917] our infantry went into the line, and I [Col. AT Anderson, CMG] took over the command of the artillery, which included in addition to my own brigade, the 7th DA, the 16th RHA Brigade, and an Anzac Brigade. That afternoon a mine exploded in Mory, killing one and wounding two of my men, and also wounding some artillery mules. In the evening a similar mine went off in Ervillers with distrastrous effect, killing five and wounding seven men of D/312. These mines, which we often met with later, were worked by corrosive acid, acting on a wire holding a spring hammer; when the acid had eaton through the wire, which might be within a period ranging from a few hours to several weeks, according to the relative strengths of the acid and the wire, the hammer struck a detonator, and the mine exploded; a typically Hunnish method of warfare.

For the next few days guns were actively employed in wire cutting, and the enemy responded by a vigorous shelling of teh valley. Capt. J. Willey and 14 men of B/310 were wounded on the 7th, and between the 6th and the 9th three other officers were hit, Major F. A. Arnold Forster, and Lieuts. P. K. B. Reynolds, and H. C. Ashby. Five Military Medals were awarded for gallant work on these days."

The five MMs that were awarded between the 5th and the 9th of April, 1917, were to 786049 Gunner E Leaf, 312nd Bde, RFA, 786012 Driver W Ellis, 312nd Bde, RFA, 4317 Dvr G Smart, 310th Bde, RFA, and 14383 Gnr J S Cooper, 310th Bde, RFA, all for an action on 6 April 1917; and 785652 Dvr G Wheatly, 312nd Bde, RFA for an action on 9 April 1917.

Regards. Dick Flory

Colin wrote: "I must admit to feeling a measure of guilt in asking you to do a look up for me. First, judging by the trail of post, your having generously offered to do look ups, everybody and their dog went and took you up on it! And here I am adding to the pile! And, second, I have actually ordered the book I want a look up in but will not receive it until near Christmas and I am, I confess, the impatient type.

And please note, as I am just impatient and not actually at a research dead end like others, please treat this request as a priority 3. Or 4. Regards and thanks for the kind offer."

Colin: I can not find your Dvr. Thomas Dodd in the nominal roll of those who went to France with the battery in the back of the book nor in the list of casualties. Is it possible that he belonged to another battery in the brigade? What is his regimental number? Regards. Dick Flory

Good day Dick

Thanks for the quick response. It's become something of a consuming mystery for me actually. I know he went to France as part of C Bty, 267 Bde RFA attached to 32 Div (his actual parent Div, the 53 Welsh, had gone off to Egypt) in Nov 1915. About 4 months later, when the 267th itself left for Egypt, he stayed behind in France. No idea why, no idea where. But I have one clue. A photo taken of him and bunch of others labeled "D/245". Much later, he was gassed and perhaps shot at III Ypres. I have his service number as 735730 but queries to various places looking for medals / records tell me that no such number exists. I was very much hoping the book covering the history of D 245 could shed some light. Apparently not. Most discouraging.

Thank you again for your time and efforts Dick. Much appreciated.

Colin

Dick , any information -even if only little - is appreciated on:

XV Brigade RFA with 52, 80, A/XV, D/XV (heavy), and on

XXVII Brigade RFA with 119,120,121, 37 (heavy) batteries

all for May 1st 1918, from around noon til 17:00