looking for the Burial location of GRANT, LYDIA W F -VAD Nurse

Indunna

HI Guys

I'm looking for the Burial location of

GRANT, LYDIA W F

VAD - Nurse

Red Cross Unit: BRCS VAD AUSTRALIAN DETACHMENT BRISBANE 2

Died 1 April 1917 -

Cause of Death Measels turned Septic Arthritis - treated at Manchester 2nd Western General Hospital

( ref from Red cross mising and wonded files AWM)

tried War Graves & Roll of Honour for Medical Units - no luck on location

Hoping someone might know of where she is burried

Jennifer

Jennifer

this is a lady that I have also been trying to get some more info on - so I will input the above into the entry I have already on her if you have no objection

Chris

Jennifer

thanks very much

Chris

Chaps and chapesses, This ladies death was registered in Chorlton, a suburb of Manchester, in qtr April-June 1917 ref 8c 899 If I were to hazard a guess as to where she was buried I would say MANCHESTER SOUTHERN CEMETERY. It is the largest cem around the area. Any help? Ralph.

Hi, Me again. Web page MANCHESTER SOUTHERN CEMETERY MANCHESTER. ENGLAND they have a contact person, and 2nd Western General Hospital is mentioned. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph for that information

did an online search of Manchester Cemeteries at http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

didnt get a definte find on her

found the following Grants

Year of Burial Deceased Name Cemetery

1917 William Grant - Southern

1917 Caroline Grantham - Southern

1917 Edith Grant - Southern

1918 Ann Grant - Philips Park

1918 Mary Grantham - Philips Park

1918 Sarah Ann Grant - Southern

1919 Lily Grant - Gorton

1920 John Franklin Grant - Southern

1921 Ann Elizabeth Grant - Southern

1921 James Grant - Southern

1921 Henry Grant - Southern

1921 Ernest Grantham - Southern

Jennifer :wacko:

Well it does tell you that

"Please Note: Although the system is live and operational not all records and corresponding images for all the cemeteries are currently available. Manchester General and Blackley cemeteries will be available to search shortly. The large majority of records and images for the three other cemeteries, Gorton, Philips Park and Southern, are currently available to search."

So she may well be there some place.

Dan

The area covered by Chorlton Registration District was enormous - it's not the same these days as it was pre-1939. It covered [to name just a few of the places] Ardwick, Chorlton, Didsbury, Fallowfield, Gorton, Hulme, Openshaw, Levenshulme, Moss Side, Stretford and Withington. To make it even more difficult, 2nd Western General Hospital was made up of scores of separate medical units scattered over a wide area.

Unless she had close family in the UK it would seem likely that she was buried in the nearest cemetery to her place of death. Her death certificate would show where exactly she died, and may make it easier to home in on one particular cemetery. The Australian records make frequent reference to messages being transmitted to/from Devonshire House, which was the London headquarters of the Joint War Committee [british Red Cross/St. John Ambulance]. Perhaps there are some surviving records of Lydia Grant at the BRCS Archives, which may give more information - address here:

British Red Cross Personnel Records

Sue

Thanks Guys

the hunt still goes on

Jennifer

• 1 year later...

I know no one has posted anything for over a year but I thought I would give it ago. I have only just joined the site so I'm still finding my around. Anyway Lydia William Falconar Grant died aged 37 at the military hospital on Ducie Avenue (this was part of 2nd Western General Hospital) on 1st April 1917.

Her Brother Chesborough G F Grant was in attendance and he gives on the death certificate an address of Whytecliff, Albion Queensland Australia. In 1903 and 1905 Lydia is living at Lynton Norwood Street Toowong Brisbane with Emily Mary Graham Grant, Peter George Grant and John Macdonald Grant.

I found a record for Chesborough on a website http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/embarkation/person.asp?p=196685 which gives his father's name as Peter George Grant

I have tried to find her grave but so far have had no luck. There is a possibility that she was cremated and if so the record will be difficult to find since many were destroyed during ww2.

The only other thing I have found so far is a possible family connection to Scotland. On the 1851 census there is a Lt Col Chesborough Grant Falconer living in Liverpool but who was born in Scotland. Could she be buried in Scotland?

Regards

Lesley

• 1 year later...

Jennifer, Jim, Chris.........

Just incase this hasn't been resolved in your records yet - Lydia is buried in the Southern Cemetery, Manchester.

And a little more detail on her & her family:

GRANT, Lydia William Falconar – VAD, British Red Cross, Australian Detachment

Born in 1880 at Falcon Hall, Morningside, Edinburgh – daughter of Peter George (born 1845 Inverness, Scotland) & Emily Mary Graham (nee Goertz), who married in Queensland in 1878, and then traveled to the UK for a couple of years. They returned to Australia when Lydia was 10 months old.

Peter (former Police Magistrate at Cairns) died in 1924 in Queensland, and Emily died 26/6/1929 Qld.

Resident 1915: Whytecliffe, Albion, Brisbane

Siblings:

1. John MacDonald b. 25/5/1883 Herberton, Qld – Maj (MC), 1st Div Engrs AIF – Enl 19/8/14 – RTA 23/7/19

Electrical Engineer – degree Cornell University, NY

Resident 1920: “Dalvey”, Wagner Rd, Clayfield, Brisbane

Resumed service with the Citizen Forces upon RTA – still serving 1929

Married Hilda Florence Neville PLANT in 1922 Qld – whose brothers Eric & Reg had also served in WW1

Resident at “Woodlands”, Ashgrove, Brisbane after marriage (until at least 1954)

Appointed commanding officer in 1938 of the 61st Bn Queensland Cameron Highlanders

Hilda died in 1943

[see copies of letters to his father (from Gallipoli) in the Brisbane Courier Mon 19 Jul 1915 & Fri 13 Aug 1915]

2. Nancy Florence b.1885 Qld – married Philip Lewis DAY 1918 Qld

3. Chesborough Grant Falconar b.1887 Herberton, Qld – Lieut, A Corps S.C. Enl 28/8/15 – RTA 1/11/19 after time off for a tour of Denmark

Dairy Instructor

Married Henrietta LEARY in 1920 at Randwick, NSW

Died 24/1/1971, late of Chatswood, NSW [sMH]

[see article SMH 8/6/1934 re legal action re sale of Farm]

Lydia was resident in Cairns, Qld 1908 & 1913 [Electoral Roll]

She embarked at Brisbane on the Osterley, (with her cousin, Miss Jean Darvall, Red Cross VAD) which sailed on Sat 23/9/16 from Orient Wharf, Circular Quay, Sydney [amongst those embarked Sydney was Kathleen Adele Brennan, Red Cross VAD, died 24/11/1918]. The Osterley continued around the Australian coast, embarking passengers at Melbourne, Adelaide & Fremantle – arriving London 10/11/1916.

Died from measles turned to septic arthritis at (Ducie Avenue Military Hosp) Manchester 2nd West General Hospital, England on the 1st April 1917, age 37 (reg. Chorlton, Lancashire)

[both brothers were sent for when she fell seriously ill and Chesborough was in attendance at her death]

Buried in the Southern Cemetery, Manchester

The inscription on her (private) tombstone reads:

Lydia William Falconar Grant VAD. Member of the Brisbane Branch of the Red Cross Society of Australia. Born at Falcon Hall Morningside Edinburgh and died at Ducie Avenue Military Hospital Manchester on the 1st of April 1917. Elder daughter of Peter G Grant and Emily Grant of Brisbane Queensland.

Her name is listed on memorial boards at the Territorial Army Centre in Stretford, and York Cathedral

Cheers, Frev

Thank you, Frev. Now to get a photograph of her grave. I have quite a few to get from Southern Cemetery so I am guessing that it is HUGE.

• 8 years later...