Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Tour to Verdun

Chris_Baker

Christina

I will advertise it for you: "Fort Douamont - Verdun" Christina Holstein - BattleGround Europe series, ISBN 0 85052 899 2. Thanks for all your efforts we could not have had a better guide.

Terry Reeves

Christina

I will advertise it for you: "Fort Douamont - Verdun" Christina Holstein - BattleGround Europe series, ISBN 0 85052 899 2.  Thanks for all your efforts we could not have had a better guide.

Terry Reeves

Which guide were you referring to?? Christina, or Christina's book.

The book itself is excellent but Christina herself adds the personal touch when guiding parties and really brought Douaumont (and elsewhere) to life. Like the other pals I came away feeling that I understood the significance of the forts, their place in the battle and their place in French history. What could have been a walk around the damp echoing empty rooms of the fort was brought to life by her narrative.

No-one was left in any doubt that we cannot ignore the French sectors of the western front and that if we do ignore it we miss much that is truly exciting to visit.

Christina has also contributed a chapter to "La Butte meurtrie Vauquois" a substantial volume to be published in May by "The Friends of Vauquois". The advance copy we saw looked excellent and a bargain at 22 euros, though a grasp of French will help take you beyond the pictures.

The friends have a web site (in French, English & German) at

Friends Of Vauquois

Ahh!! Pink trousers.

Thinking ahead, I decided that pink trousers and a Forum shirt would be THE way to announce to the world, or passing minibuses, my presence in the vicinity. Thus clad, I boarded the bus at Rothersthorpe Services. We made our way to Milton Creaks (punishment enough for a Cobbler gal), past the Pink Punter nightspot, and five more Pals climbed aboard. We journeyed on to Brentwood for Mike and Andy, and into Kent where Jon and Terry joined….

Next day, we all wandered around Varrennes, seeking Christina. I was still sporting pink trousers and Forum shirt with pals logo. No sign. Telephone calls were made – and she emerged from her car 50 yards away. Shaking hands (with the left unfortunately, as my right was sticky with squidgy cake) Christina said she had already noticed me nearby. “That’s why I wore these” said I, indicating the pink trousers. “Oh, I didn’t notice those…”

and neither had anyone else!!!

So, dedicated followers of fashion, heed my tale and don something noticable, like a brown cardie and grey joggers.

Hehe, excellent Kate I am very proud of you! Is pink part of the KWAK Klub? Or is it just for the PRO'ers club?

Alie.

Christina

I will advertise it for you: "Fort Douamont - Verdun" Christina Holstein - BattleGround Europe series, ISBN 0 85052 899 2. Thanks for all your efforts we could not have had a better guide.

Terry Reeves

Already have it Terry & a fine book it is. Guys, there is a lot more at Verdun & in the Argonne Forest as well as St Mihiel Salient. Much more evidence of the war than Ypres or Somme though if I had to choose one it would be Somme.

Thanks very much, Terry. I'm proud to have my book advertised on this forum. I'm also delighted with the feedback from the tour and look forward to meeting more Pals in the future.

Christina

Just a couple of photo's from the tour...........It is a vast collection I am now sorting through.

A nice view of the Ossuary

And finally a picture which caught my eye in the Memorial Museum at Fleury

Will.

Here's another by the same artist....

Dave.

post-12-1083245929.jpg

• 14 years later...

I’m not sure that there are not too many who went on this tour who still visit the forum, but for the record, my friend and our driver to Verdun, Brian Morris, passed away a couple of days ago. I shall miss him.

Edited by Chris_Baker