Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Tour to Verdun

Chris_Baker

If you've been thinking about joining us on this trip but have not yet reserved your places, better get your skates on. There are now very few places left.

Tour details and booking process appear here.

If you have sent a cheque in payment, please email me at postmaster@1914-1918.org. With Christmas post disruptions and delays, I want to make sure I have got you all listed before I over-sell this flight - er, trip. Please email even if I have already confirmed receipt.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking forward to meeting the Pals by the church at Varennes-en-Argonne at 2-m on Friday. I've managed the reserve the hotel and even the food but can't do anything about the weather, which is cool and grey. Don't forget waterproof jackets and boots, your cameras and a torch.

Have a good trip, see you on Friday.

Christina

You should be easy to spot there in your "Grand Duchess" regalia!

I recently saw a weather forecast from a Leamington based agency which read:

long range weather forecast for Reims (the nearest place I could find)

says

Thursday showers 61 degrees F - hmm

Friday 63 sunny intervals - yay!

Saturday, Sunday and Monday - 66 and sunny intervals - yay again!

Now, where is that raincoat ...

No doubt plenty of shelter in those fort thingys or even the Tavannes Tunnel if all else fails.

Yes, plenty of shelter in tunnels and forts, also in thick forest. Mind you, it gets in the way of the tiara and as for the ermine! Last time those little black tails got even blacker.

Fortified by your Leamington Spa weather forecast I shall expect sunny skies and will blame you if it rains!

Christina

Are you going to wear all this regalia at Les Eparges next week?

If so, I'll send out another message to members. It ought to bring them out by the hundred.

Yes, I think I need to change my image. What better place to start than scrambling up the side of Les Eparges in a long dress and tiara.

On the other hand, it might be better not to get their hopes up too much.........

Christina

What will we do without you- or rather how will you manage to cope without the forum to occupy your time?

<_<

Burlington,

It's kind of you to suggest that I'd be missed. I wouldn't have thought that I contributed enough for you to notice when I don't!

As for coping without the forum, there's no question of that. I shall just insist on regular time catching up with what's going on in the real world.

Christina

Chris, Christina and all the pals going on the Verdun trip,

have a truly great tour regardless of the weather and dont forget to post some stories and photos for us who are not able to attend.

A very green with envy Peter ;)

Envy is a terrible thing to suffer.

Have a great time and dont for get to take the digi cams so we can see the snaps.

Arm.

Well, I'm back and the others are in St. Quentin. We did indeed have a great time. Wonderful weather, good food and wine and great company. What more could you want?

Only one Pal managed to go AWOL but reappeared, as search parties were going out, claiming to have found an interesting underground shelter downhill in the forest. Another Pal was later caught on several cameras in undignified pose, emerging backwards out of a gun turret - and I fear that picture of me is going to go around the world. It was a great weekend and you'll hear more about it when the other Pals get home tomorrow.

Christina

Chris seems to have a golden touch in respect of weather. The Pals Dinner in 2003

was blessed with fabulous weather and it seems that Verdun had a similar visit from the weather fairy. Looking forward to the tall tales, pics etc.

Well, I'm back and the others are in St. Quentin.

Lets hope that Kate does not lead Chris, Martin, Jon and the others in a merry dance around the main square in Tom Bridges fashion with a whistle and a drum as they begin to flag at the end of their envious 'tour'

Await the pics.

Arm.

... well the first dispatch after Christina's update yesterday.

The weather was perfect as was the company. Christina was a great asset and we were a willing audience. Travelling down, Chris acted as our information source when we stopped off at the Right Hook at Cambrai and then the bridge at Riqueval on the way home - where we remembered Arthur Halestrap whom Kate Wills reminded us had served with the 46th Div in that area in 1918.

Yesterday Christina took us into the Front Line areas at Bois des Caures where the trench systems are still extremely visible - in fact you walk through them. The place is littered with ruined bunkers, strong points and barbed wire. These features are so dominant that you get the feeling you are the first to walk in these trench lines since the Armistice.

I will leave it to the other PALS to dish the dirt on certain individuals ... only one PAL was up on a charge - although it was a full enquiry into a possible desertion. Not withstanding this, it was a great pleasure to tour with all of them and thanks to Christina, Chris and all those PALS fortunate enough to travel on this occasion, who made it a memorable tour for me. Cheers!

Oh ... we had a few beers as well - some participating more than others!

Probably best not to mention that the itinerary also included the Verdun Military Fair on Sunday morning. All sorts of oddments on sale.

Arrived back, Great first tour and in excellent company, Chris's attention to detail made sure everything ran smoothly, Brian’s driving got us everywhere on time, so much so he received promotion from his commanding officer.

There were many highlights for me, one was the visit to Vauquois where once hardhats and torches had been issued we carried out a close inspection of the French and German underground galleries, The village was the scene of fierce fighting with each side digging out 17 kms of shafts and galleries and then proceeding to try and remove each other up by blowing over 500 mines between them! Totally destroying the village in the process.

Another was the peaceful hamlet of Fleury, again totally destroyed, with only signs and foundations showing the layout of the village. This spot was again the scene of renewed action on the afternoon of the 24th when one of the PALs was missing in action or was it an escape attempt…..

Christina’s in depth knowledge not only of Fort Dumont but of all the sites we visited made the choice of Verdun well worthwhile and have sowed the seeds for visiting again.

Here’s to the next PALs tour!

Now back, completely knackered but very pleased to report on a truly superb tour. I'll post a longer report tomorrow, with a few pics.

Here we are, here we are, here we are again

Yes - The Pals at Verdun, on the 155mm gun turret at Fort Douaumont

....though one appears to have gone AWOL.......

Now, who will be first to name them all (touring pals excluded)

post-12-1083000209.jpg

Now back, completely knackered but very pleased to report on a truly superb tour. I'll post a longer report tomorrow, with a few pics.

Ok the far flung Northern contingent has just arrived home, likewise more tommorow, when I'm awake!

John

Guest mikedooley

Pleased to hear that everyone made it home in one piece although nackered.

Missing the beer already, IPA cann't even come close to kwak!

Meticulous preparation and planning from Chris produced a wonderful first taste of Verdun. Christina was a perfect guide and a mine of information and advice. Talking of mines the visit to Vauquois left many of us quite literally breathless, and if not for the hard hats probably senseless. Brian proved worthy of his promotion by driving many hundreds of kilometres whilst listening to a snoring bus.

Though only a lower rank I felt right at home. Hope everyones well rested I shall make sure that I continue to post.

Thanks to Kate for todays diversion which saw me face to face with my own grave stone, some research needed urgently I think. And also thanks to every one who asked why I didn't research more medical directions, its got me thinking!

Speak to you all later

Bye for now

Mike

Only one Pal managed to go AWOL but reappeared, as search parties were going out, claiming to have found an interesting underground shelter downhill in the forest.

Having just come back from Verdun, I can now confirm that the Pal in question (not me I hasten to add) has come clean over the AWOL/bunker incident........However I feel I should leave it to the individual concerned to provide the 'true' story................

Kwak company member reporting in for duty.............I would just like to echo the sentiments of the others in respect to the hard work that Chris & Christina put in making this a memorable tour for all of us.............Although I have to say it seems quite strange sitting here in front of my computer at 11.30pm.......... I feel I should be relaxing outside at some French pavement cafe, sampling more of the liquid refreshment my body has grown accustomed to :D

Just to prove we did get underground at the Butte de Vauquois

This was taken (by Kate) in the French Tunnels which were simply fighting tunnels and mining tunnels unlike the German complex which was an underground city.

The visit is "quite an experience"!!! The tub is rebuilt on an original base but most of what you see is simply tided up rather than reconstructed.

post-12-1083042056.jpg