Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Bog People' of WW1

aley

In P.V. Globs book "The Bog People" page 75, the following reference (context is number and location of bog finds and to which historical period the finds relate):

" ...whilst most recent are of our own times - for example, Russian and German soldiers killed in the Masurian Lakes region in the first world war, and airmen brought down during the last war."

I was curious to learn more and was wondering if anyone could offer more detail or point me in the direction of a journal etc..

I would assume these bodies would have been promptly re-buried but i was wondering if any info was collected prior to this, particularly concerning location, conditions, period within the bogs, the state of preservation...?

David.

" ...whilst most recent are of our own times - for example, Russian and German soldiers killed in the Masurian Lakes region in the first world war, and airmen brought down during the last war."

David.

I have seen photos on the Net (Not seen the website recently though) of a Russian pilot found a couple of years ago & apparently he was so well preserved a police autopsy was carried out to check the body really was 60 years old - seems he tried to bale out of his Hurricane but became entangled & was dragged down with it. The group excavating the wreck got quite a shock as the cockpit was empty & they thought all was well, until they lifted the wreck & found him lying beneath the fuselage - The report did say that fuel and oil contributed to his preservation in very boggy ground.