Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

SFayers

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately Hugh's service papers no longer survive, so not a lot of concrete information to give I'm afraid.

Surviving papers for 161246 Thomas Cottam would suggest Hugh was probably mobilized for service in the Royal Garrison Artillery around May 1917 and likely at No. 2 Depot at Fort Brockhurst, Gosport. From his British War Medal / Victory Medal roll entry it looks like he arrived in France on the strength of 453 Siege Battery, before being transferred at some point to 5 Siege Battery.

As you know, Hugh was killed in action on 19th May 1918. Exactly how and where I don't know as no war diary for the battery was compiled during 1918 and frustratingly the brigade diary doesn't go into many details at this time. All we know from the latter is that 5 Siege Battery was then in the vicinity of Bethune and, like the other batteries in 46 Brigade, was often subjected to artillery fire. It's most likely that Hugh, as well as the other 5 Siege Battery casualties around this time, were killed as a result of such counter-battery fire.

All the best

Steve

You're welcome Andrew.

A senior moment on my part; Hugh's arrival overseas with 453 Siege Battery would suggest he likely joined 5 Siege Battery on 21st February 1918. On this date, following its arrival in France, 453 S Bty was split up, with one half joining 5 S Bty and the other joining 4 S Bty.

Best of luck with your search!

Cheers

Steve

• 2 years later...

Hi Steve 

Would you be so kind as to see if you have aey mention in the war diaries for a 26377 gunner Edward Archer 

Thanks in advance 

ATB

Mark 

Hi Mark,

Sadly nothing on Edward in the diaries. From the medal rolls he looks like he was with 5 Siege Battery when it first formed in September 1914. The only other thing I have on him, from the surviving medical material available on Findmypast is that he was admitted to no. 31 Ambulance Train on 12th August 1917 (when 5 Siege Battery was involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres); since he doesn't get a mention in the diary at this time it's more likely this relates to illness or some accidental injury rather than being wounded in action.

Kind regards

Steve