Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in UK

squirrel

Wonder if anybody can help with locations of these hospitals and if anything of them remains today.

Berrington War Hospital Shrewsbury (1916)

CCAC Folkestone (1916)

CCH Woodcote Park Epsom (1916)

CCAC Shoreham (1917)

Canadian Hospital Etchinghill, Lyminge (1917)

Cambr???ral??? Hospital Monks Horton ? (1917)

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

The Kent "hospitals" you refer to above (Lyminge, Monks Horton) were in fact very small V.A.D type affairs and I can confirm nothing now exists of any of them. The military hospital at Shorncliffe (Folkestone) was a much larger operation but that too was demolished years ago. Kent's largest and most important military hospital during WW1 was the Naval Hospital at Gillingham (sometimes referred to as being in Chatham). The old Canadian military hospital at Warren Street above Lenham was finally demolished a few years ago. Then of course there was the numerous military hospitals in Dover (mostly in the vicinity of the Western Heights). During the war Maidstone Hospital was used as an lunatic asylum as was Chartham hospital between Ashford and Canterbury.

Chartham Hospital became St Augustines I believe, and is now a housing estate although some of the main buildings are now apartments. Buckland Hospital in Dover was used in WW2 - its chapel also became a mortuary during Dunkirk - I will check whether it was used in WW1 but I doubt it as it was originally the workhouse - surprisingly it is still a hospital - just!

Thank you very much - just what was wanted.

• 2 months later...

quote name='squirrel' date='Aug 2 2007, 12:14 PM' post='737722']

Wonder if anybody can help with locations of these hospitals and if anything of them remains today.

CCAC Folkestone (1916)

CCAC Shoreham (1917)

Are you still interested in the ex Canadian hospital at Etchinghill 22 aug 1916 - 6th June 1919? The hospital, formerly the Elham Union Workhouse was demolished ten years and a housing estate built - we currently live there. What information are you looking for? Let me know.

Keith S

quote name='KeithS' date='Oct 28 2007, 04:46 PM' post='788922']

quote name='squirrel' date='Aug 2 2007, 12:14 PM' post='737722']

CCAC Folkestone (1916)

CCAC Shoreham (1917)

Are you still looking for information on the Candian Hospital at Etchinghill 22/08/1916- 06/06/1919? The hospital was formerly the Elham Union Workhouse but was demolished ten years ago apart from the chapel. There is now a housing estate - we live there! There was are large WW1 temporary camp nearby - not Shornecliffe. What information are you looking for as there are local resources?

Regards,

Keith S

Keith,

thanks for this but the chap who I was trying to find what I could for was over at the beginning of September. He was interested to know of anything remained of any of the hospitals that his relative had been treated in so that he could visit. It seems that there was little of any of them left to visit.

Woodcote Park, Epsom was formerly used for as a training camp for recruits before becoming a convalescent camp for Canadian and ANZAC troops on 24 June 1915.

It was formed from lines of wooden huts and a series of postcards were issued of it.

I think the main house still survives, and is used by the Royal Automobile Club as a golf course, but the huts have gone.