Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Badges

CROONAERT

A couple of questions that someone may be able to help me with...

Below, are 3 SA badges of different sizes. I assume that the large one is a badge for a slouch hat, the middle one is a badge for a Service Dress cap and the smallest badge is a collar-dog. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, why is the inscription on them written in Afrikaans on one badge and Dutch on the other? Does this date them (WW1 and WW2), or is it just down to the manufacturer?

Thanks,

Dave.

post-23-1073248246.jpg

Also, why is the inscription on them written in Afrikaans on one badge and Dutch on the other? Does this date them (WW1 and WW2),

It does, and there is a thread on this somewhere.

In WW1 South African badges were made with the motto in Dutch.

Sometime between the wars the official language of South Africa changed to Afrikaans, so the bades with the Afrikaans motto are from WW2.

This is the badge of the South African Scottish 1915-1919 it was worn with an "Athol Murray"tartan backing, the motto "Eendracht Maakt Macht" (Union Is Strength) is a WW1 pattern in was made in white metal and in gilded brass. I hope this is of some help.

Yours Aye Rob.

Thanks guys.

So ,it seems that the large badge is WW1 and the other two are WW2 period. Any ideas on the relevance of the sizes?

Dave.

Hi Dave .

In Re: to the size of the badges I have a set of WW1 Badges to this regiment so I compaired the size with your posting and I think the smallest badge is indeed a collar badge, the large WW1 was worn on a bonnet ( Tam O Shanter ) and the smaller WW2 was worn on a glengarry, I think. hope this is of some help.

Yours Aye Rob.

Thanks again, Rob.

I can definately confirm that the small badge is a collar dog (I found it's "mate" on a junk stall yesterday!!! - see scan).

Dave.

post-23-1073597648.jpg

A good find Dave, Well done. Rob. :D