Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quartermaster Serjeant E. Scott

michaeldr

This is another query from the photographs in the LoC collection which was recently recommended by Bruce

Please see the central picture in the right hand column here

http://memory.loc.gov/phpdata/pageturner.p...&item=13709

"Q. M. S. Scott, wounded and captured on Mizpah, 1917"

Scott died and is buried in Jerusalem

from the CWGC;

Name: SCOTT

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Bedfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 12/01/1918

Service No: 200233

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. 55.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY, Israel

Steve Fuller is busy at the moment but he kindly found time to provide the following info from his resources

"the Btn history, Medal Rolls etc all record him dying (the history specifies him dying of of Bronchial Pneumonia in 2/4th FA) but I have nothing on his capture.

... ... ... RQMS / WOII Formerly 3458 before being renumbered in March 1917. Entered Gallipoli 10-8-1915 with the Btn 'Died 12-1-1918'

... ... ... RQMS 200233 Edward Scott of Luton died from Bronchial Pneumonia at the 2/4th London Field Ambulance"

Has anyone else got any info which might throw light on the apparent contradiction here?

Regards

Michael

Quote: "apparent contradiction"

Let me expand on what I had in mind here

1] Quartermaster Serjeant E. Scott is photographed by a Jerusalem (American?) photographer after he is wounded and captured at Mizpah (Nebi Samwil, [end Nov. 1917])

2] Scott authenticates this by autographing the photograph, which may have been taken in one of the Turkish hospitals which were run by American volunteers from the American colony in Jerusalem.

3] Per Steve Fuller's research, Scott later dies on 12th Jan 1918 from Bronchial Pneumonia at the 2/4th London Field Ambulance

4] Per the O.B., the 2/4th London Field Ambulance was serving with the 60th Division who were involved in the fighting at Nebi Samwil and later, at the time of Scott's death, must have still been in the Jerusalem area

So far, so good; there is here a line of possibilities which could, under certain circumstances, be linked (eg; if Scott was still in the hospital when Jerusalem was captured and was later transferred to the 2/4 London FA)

However,

Scott's regiment was part of not part of the 60th Division

The 5th Bedfords were part of 162nd Infantry Brigade of the 54th Division

and as far as I can make out they were not involved in the fighting at Mizpah/Nebi Samwil

[for Steve's website giving the War Diary of the regiment see http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/5thbtn/5...n1917diary.html]

Can anyone come up with a reason why Quartermaster Serjeant E. Scott should have been there at Mizpah (Nebi Samwil) at that time,

Or, please correct any mistaken conclusions which I have drawn together here?

Regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

• 12 years later...
On 04/08/2007 at 15:47, michaeldr said:

Quote: "apparent contradiction"

Let me expand on what I had in mind here

1] Quartermaster Serjeant E. Scott is photographed by a Jerusalem (American?) photographer after he is wounded and captured at Mizpah (Nebi Samwil, [end Nov. 1917])

2] Scott authenticates this by autographing the photograph, which may have been taken in one of the Turkish hospitals which were run by American volunteers from the American colony in Jerusalem.

3] Per Steve Fuller's research, Scott later dies on 12th Jan 1918 from Bronchial Pneumonia at the 2/4th London Field Ambulance

4] Per the O.B., the 2/4th London Field Ambulance was serving with the 60th Division who were involved in the fighting at Nebi Samwil and later, at the time of Scott's death, must have still been in the Jerusalem area

So far, so good; there is here a line of possibilities which could, under certain circumstances, be linked (eg; if Scott was still in the hospital when Jerusalem was captured and was later transferred to the 2/4 London FA)

However,

Scott's regiment was part of not part of the 60th Division

The 5th Bedfords were part of 162nd Infantry Brigade of the 54th Division

and as far as I can make out they were not involved in the fighting at Mizpah/Nebi Samwil

[for Steve's website giving the War Diary of the regiment see http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/5thbtn/5...n1917diary.html]

Can anyone come up with a reason why Quartermaster Serjeant E. Scott should have been there at Mizpah (Nebi Samwil) at that time,

Or, please correct any mistaken conclusions which I have drawn together here?

Regards

Michael

Michael, i did a search on London regiment to look for an image of a cross over Kh' Adaseh.

While i did not find it, yet. I do have an answer for you.

Since Nebi Samuel is my main research interest, i saw the photograph.

you imagine my surprise, and how i jumped out of bed, when i read the regimental history of the 2/19th London regiment.

He and another soldiers were lost in the dark when they went to the first line of positions and were captured.

so in short, Edward Scott was the QMS Sargent of the 2/19th london regiment.

Assaf

post-69449-0-70824700-1342437396_thumb.j

Assaf,

I am very grateful for your remembering this question and for your kindly supplying the answer.

If I have understood correctly, than at some point QMS Scott transferred from the Bedfords to the 2/19th London Regiment

Perhaps someone else can confirm when and how that happened, and explain why the CWGC used the Bedfordshire Regiment in his listing.

[as I mentioned back in August 2007, please correct any mistaken conclusions which I have drawn together here]

best regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Michael,

I never checked how common scott and edward were in 1917 but there is a chance that it is a different E.Scott .

i hope to be at KEW in november and maybe look for details about him.

Assaf