Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oak tree of Gallipoli

Dawson

Hello.

Being an avid reader of all things Lancashire fusiliers,

I've stumbled on a book called the oak tree of Gallipoli, and I was wondering if anyone has read it?

The book is quite expensive, so I'd like to know if it's any good or not.

Also while i'm on, does anyone know of a book about a padre in the war, I think it's called "It's only me"

Clive Harris read a couple of passages out , while walking the somme last September.

And I have been after it ever since.

So if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy , let me know

Thank you

Ian.

Irwin, Mike & Duckworth, Eric Peter

The Oak Tree of Gallipoli - the Life of 2nd Lt. Eric Duckworth 1/6th Battalioan Lancashire Fusiliers

Northland Victoria Australia: Veecross Publications, 2003 Buckram. New/No Jacket. First Edition. Red boards gold printing and artwork, 133 pages b/w photos

ISBN: 0959034528

I'm glad someone has produced a volume on Eric Duckworth. He is possibly buried (unknown) at Redoubt Cemetery on the Gallipoli Peninsula. The family owned the Duckworths department stores in Manchester which I believe was still there until relatively recently.

His parents being wealthy were able to visit the peninsula not long after the war ended and planted an english oak (the only english oak on the peninsula) at Redoubt Cemetery together with a small commemorative plaque. Both survive to this day.

The oak has managed well despite increasing water shortage over the years. Several years ago the CWGC planted two more english oak saplings in the cemetery (I think from acorns of the Duckworth oak as it is known). A tour guide explained to me during a visit to the cemetery that it was the only english oak on the peninsula and made the mistake of accepting a wager for one million (turkish lira) that I couls not find another during the week of our visit. I gently walked him to the other end of the cemetery and collected my winnings. Almost as good as the lottery. Sadly the saplings did not survive and the oak is back to being the only english oak on the peninsula. The native oaks have a different leaf shape.

It's only me.

A life of the Rev'd Theodore Bayley Hardy VC DSO MC 1863 - 1918 Vicar of Hutton Roof, Westmoreland

A paperback by David Raw published 1988 by Frank Peters Publishing Ltd

ISBN No. 0 948511 45 1 vii and 105 pp

Hardy, at 54 was the most decorated non-combattant of the war and died in Rouen on Oct. 18th 1918 of wounds received earlier in the month. There is a memorial tablet in Carlisle cathedral.

It's a nice well illustrated volume with detail maps of various areas on the front, a good well researched volume with numerous relevant contemporary quotes. giving the background to the man, his decision to serve as a chaplain and of his time at the front.

Well worth acquiring if Chaplains or good accounts of individuals at war appeal. It should not be an expensive volume.

Martin

Wow, Thanks Martin,

They both sound such interesting books,

Don't tell the wife , but i'll try to get them asap.

Thanks again for your trouble.

Ian.