Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing chaplain - Rev W H Firestone

John_Hartley

The chap I was researching is Lt Ernest Howe, DoW 14/12/16 whilst with 83rd Field Ambulance. The following is the relevent war diary extract. I don't seem to be able to find any CWGC record for Rev. Firestone, who I assume was the Anglican chaplain.

“Several enemy aeroplanes came over the Tasli area and dropped a number of bombs. One fell just outside this ….(illegible)….and fragments caused the death of Lt. E Howe, recently attached to the Field Ambulance and Rev. W H Firestone (C of E). In both cases help was at hand within a few seconds. Lt Howe succumbed to shock in spite of….(illegible)….shortly after his transfer to the dressing tent. Mr Firestone died of head injuries.”

I can't find Firestone listed amongst the officers in the overseas deaths register (or amongst the MICs) and am now wondering if he could have been a civvie with the diary referring to him as Rev/Mr. And, if so, would he qualify for CWGC recognition.

John

Try this one...

Name: FREESTONE, The Rev. WILLIAM HERBERT

Initials: W H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Chaplains' Department

Date of Death: 14/12/1916

Additional information: Son of William and Harriet Maude Freestone, of 4, Clarendon St., Nottingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 1891.

Cemetery: MIKRA BRITISH CEMETERY, KALAMARIA

Firestone would be a fantastic name for a padre.

Mick