Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 'Feldlazaretten' at the Western Front

Regulus 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this one's on the list - as described in the service papers of a British casualty who died there on 20 July 1918:

"War Hospital 3/39, Morchingen" (now Morhange, Lorraine).

LST_164

Sorry, my font hasn't got the umlaut for the o in Morchingen!

• 7 months later...

Feldlazarett 263:

Castle of "Saint Jean lès Longuyon" (previously known as "Saint Jean lès Marville").

Cordialement

post-60706-0-28889600-1332541325.jpg

Regulus & Malte

This is very valuable information but what is the source? I have been looking for a history of the German army medical services during the war for a very long time.

Pete

Pete,

I have been looking for a history of the German army medical services during the war for a very long time.

If you can read German, you could try getting hold of the four volume Sanitätsbericht über das Deutsche Heer im Weltkriege 1914/18. It exhaustively covers casulaties and the deployment of the medical services throughout the war. The map volume to volume II has many charts detailing the locations of the various Feldlazaretten by corps.

Regards

Glenn

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Have anyone an idea how to find something about " Feldlaz. 135, Graincourt 10/16 " ?

I have tryed to Google it, but not nothing.

It was part of the batle of the Somme.

Thanks from Denmark.

Any Danes going to Breine in April ?

• 3 years later...

Many thanks for the information on German Medical resources and locations.

I am researching some individuals and have come across a reference to 'Bayern Feld Lazerette 43' which at the time of interest was at or near 'Bellevue ferme' in June 1918.

This not near CWGC cem by the same name but would appear to be in the Aisne area as the Regiment concerned is the 2nd Devons.

I have searched all available maps with no success. Any ideas?

Just as an aside, regarding the post from ph0ebus 'Remembering'. I am lead to believe that USS Chatanooga was the name given to The Angel Hotel in Cardiff when it was occupied by the US Navy. An American 'stone frigate'?

• 2 years later...

I might have missed something, but is there a map indicating the locations of the Feldlazarette...?

You mention advanced or forward aid station, in America, in the 1950's, we had M.A.S.H. Units, for  Mobil Army SURGICAL . Hospital 

. Did the Germans or any other country's have surgical units in the trenches up front???

Hi,

the Germans had their first (emergency)operation centers staffed by medical doctors at the Truppenverbandplätze, usually not more than two km from the frontline. There was normally one Truppenverbandplatz per regiment. That was during the times of still moving fronts. During stagnation the Truppenverbandsplätze were situated 2-4km behind the frontlines, however there was a Bataillons-Sanitätsunterstand for every Bataillon approximately 500m behind the frontline. Here a doctor was able to do emergency-surgery if necessary.

Source: Sanitätsbericht 14-18 Vol I, p.80ff

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

• 1 year later...
On 24/10/2018 at 20:36, GreyC said:

Hi,

the Germans had their first (emergency)operation centers staffed by medical doctors at the Truppenverbandplätze, usually not more than two km from the frontline. There was normally one Truppenverbandplatz per regiment. That was during the times of still moving fronts. During stagnation the Truppenverbandsplätze were situated 2-4km behind the frontlines, however there was a Bataillons-Sanitätsunterstand for every Bataillon approximately 500m behind the frontline. Here a doctor was able to do emergency-surgery if necessary.

Source: Sanitätsbericht 14-18 Vol I, p.80ff

GreyC

Hi GreyC

By chance are you able to check if there any info in Sanitätsbericht 14-18 listing German medical centres in the area of the Aisne battles 1914, eg Missy sur Aisne, Conde Sur Aisne etc please?

Many thanks

J

• 10 months later...

Looking for any information on Reserve Lazarett #72.  Great grand uncle died there in November 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Hello,

It was in Marville in October 1918. Perhaps it was still there early November?

Jan

On 16/12/2020 at 04:26, AOK4 said:

Hello,

It was in Marville in October 1918. Perhaps it was still there early November?

Jan

Yes, it was in Marville until the end of the war. Anyway to find out who ran it? Bayern, Prussia, saxony etc... thank you for the help