Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers

mhifle

Hi,

It’s difficult to search for his Medal Index Card with just a Regiment and Regimental Number as  Ancestry gives 12,000+. A name would help.

In respect of his motivation it can only be guesswork but if we discount feelings of patriotism perhaps he was a young man with a sense of danger who saw wartime military service in the British Army as an escape from his possibly mundane life or poor home and employment conditions?

It would be possible to get some figures on the number of men who were born and  lived in the United States and enlisted in the British Army in the United Kingdom from the data in the Soldiers Died in The Great War CD Rom. I don’t have mine to hand. You need to bear in mind that later in the war there was an officially sanctioned U.K. recruitment drive in the U S A.

Good Luck

Steve

Hi Mr T,

As Steve said a name would help to narrow him down. The service number 4892 for a Connaught Ranger has no match in the medal index cards database - 

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-medal-index-cards-1914-1920/

Are you sure that number is correct? If so that would indicate no overseas service during the Great War. This is possible as 3rd Bn. Connaught Rangers were a a reserve battalion stationed in Ireland and England for the entire war. But most men went to the reserve first before being posted to the overseas battalions after training.

As for his motivation there could be many factors so might be almost impossible to ascertain. I wonder if previous service might have been a factor? There were at least two US born men in the 1st Battalion 1911 census - Daniel Collins born in New York and Michael Connolly born in Chicago. 

John

Here's a better write up ... His name was Foster James Trainor (Trainer), born 11 July 1897 as an American-born citizen (Plattsburgh, NY) and lived in Schenectady, NY, when he joined the Connaught Rangers in 1914. He was in the 3rd Battalion, D Company. He signed up in St. Pancras, London and discharged as a Private in Kinsale, Ireland. His service number was 4892. He is of Irish decent as his grandfather was born in Dublin and died in 1882 in Montreal, Canada. His father was born in U.S. and employed as a machinist at the General Electric Company in Schenectady, NY.  What would have been the motivation for him to join the British Army and was it common for American citizens during WW1 to join the British Army (Connaught Rangers)?

On the Short Service Attestation form below he answered, Yes, to are you a British Subject. Not sure what that means. Looks also, he may not have been truthful about his age.

Foster James Trainer

in the British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920

Name: Foster James Trainer
Birth Date: abt 1895
Document Year: 1914
Residence Place: Saxton Home, Wells St Whitechapel E
Regimental Number: 4892
Regiment Name: Connaught Rangers
Form Title: Short Service Attestation

MIUK1914A_118715-00796 (1).jpg

Edited by Mr. T

Hi,

I still can’t see him on the Medal Index Cards.

His occupation is noted as seaman so I expect his “home” address was a seaman’s hostel in the east end of London near the docks.

He clearly had a sense of adventure as indicated in his choice of occupation. My father’s best friend when he joined the British Army in 1937 was an Australian seaman who had “jumped” ship in London and joined up.

There was no requirement for potential recruits to prove any of the assertions they made on their enlistment form - it was all accepted as the truth - but if any discrepancies were discovered later the recruit could be disciplined for making a false declaration.

Steve

Hi Mr T,

1 hour ago, tullybrone said:

I still can’t see him on the Medal Index Cards.

His service record shows that he was discharged before seeing any service overseas.

His occupation is noted as seaman so I expect his “home” address was a seaman’s hostel in the east end of London near the docks.

The record appears to read as Sailors Home, Wells [?] St., Whitechapel E.

There was no requirement for potential recruits to prove any of the assertions they made on their enlistment form - it was all accepted as the truth - but if any discrepancies were discovered later the recruit could be disciplined for making a false declaration.

He was discharged on 21st March 1915 (intended place of residence 306 Avenue 'B', Schenelady [?], New York, USA under para 392 (ii) of the King's Regulations -  'having been irregularly enlisted'. On his attestation it shows that he claimed to have been a British Subject. A false declaration could lead to discharge under para 392 (viii) -  'having made a false answer on attestation'. Might he have been able to argue the point on the basis of his grandfathers birth place? I don't know what the rules were to claim/apply for being a British Subject at the time.   

3 hours ago, Mr. T said:

His name was Foster James Trainor (Trainer), born 11 July 1897

That being the case he wouldn't have been 19 years and 2 months old (per his attestation) when he attested in November 1914. So, also a false statement, which could presumably also have resulted  in discharge under para 392 (vi) - 'having made a mis-statement as to age on enlistment'. He signed up for General Service for the duration of the war. In 1914 the minimum age for overseas service was 19. When he signed up he would have only been 17.

Regards

Chris

I erred and posted this in wrong forum.

On the back of this WW1 British soldier's (Jack Spencer) photo are what appears to be references to military campaigns. It looks like from the photo he is a member of The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, 4th Battalion. Can anyone shed some light on this?IMG_3545.jpg.03393d92378cbae94bf4ec39d7be3f5a.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

Edited by Mr. T

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm looking for details on my grandfather and have drawn a blank. His name (apparently) was John Joseph Kavanagh and he re enlisted in the Connaught Rangers at the start of WW1. He is not the captain JJK. I know very little about him as he may have lied on his marriage cert as he was a bigamist. Hope someone can help.

Hello Prayner

Welcome to the forum

There are two things you need to do to get somewhere with your very intriguing enquiry

1. Start a new thread in the Soldiers and their Units sub forum with his name and regiment in the title. That enables forum members to put everything on one thread. If you do not know how to start a new thread , then write that on this thread, and I can start a new one for you.

2. We do need a lot more ino. The Captain is the obvious man, but you say it is not him.

There is another JJ Kavanagh who served in Connaught Rangers and Inniskilling Fusiliers as a Private

We need his date and place of birth if you know it

We need his marriage date and to whom. You say he was a bigamist, whas this the first or secnd marriage. Do you have details of the others

Do you have any of his medals, and if so what is written on them

I assume he survived the First World War, what happened to him and where did he live

I see you have had an enquiry, but no reply on another forum. You put there, but need to add a bit more for us

trying to find details of my grandfather. The relatively certain things about him are:-
1. Born in Ireland
2. Joined Connaught Rangers (possibly twice as he may have reenlisted for WW1)
3. Went to London after the war.
4. Name John Joseph Kavanagh.

Now the uncertainties- he married my grandmother but was already married in Ireland and when this was discovered my Gran kicked him out. My mum was quite young and what with not living with her dad, then being evacuated she doesn't know much about him. we have the marriage certificate and he was apparently born around 1887 and his dad was Charles Kavanagh. However as it was bigamy and he was marrying someone a lot younger he may have lied about his dad and his age. My uncle knew a bit more but is unfortunately dead. He did go with his dad to a connaught rangers reunion though.

Edited by corisande

Thank you Corisande. I am away at the moment so these facts are not definitive. He also probably lied on his wedding cert so cannot 100% rely on this. He was born approx 1888. The family myth was that his dad got him out of the army, then the war started and he reenlisted and was promptly disinherited. My mum thinks he was born in Roscommon, (she was never close as he was booted out when the bigamy came to light). His dad was allegedly called Charles and his first wife was Brigitte, not sure of spelling. His second wife was Gladys Goodrich, born about 1908. They met and married in London where he worked for the post office. My mum recalls him as intelligent and educated and also thinks that he may have been a gamekeeper or similar. He possibly had one daughter at least with Brigid who bacame a nun and is probably dead or at least in her late 90s. My mum never met her half sister. My uncle went with him to a CR reunion and met some old friends so I am sure of this part. My uncle also felt he had at least one brother. 

Prayner

Having tried and failed to find him, let me say the problem is that nothing cross-references, so my conclusion is that some of your information must be wrong

1. If we start off what seems to be correct, that is he served in Connaught Rangers.

2. You say he could not have been the Capt John Joseph , can I ask why you believe that

3. If he is not the Captain, then either he did not serve abroad (i.e no medal card) or he is Pte John J Kavanagh who served in Connaught Rangers , then in Inniskillings

kavanagh-medal-roll.JPG.4f12d8765897eb95eedd1af44b1dc0c5.JPG

kavanagh-medal-roll-2.JPG.f572ce133bcc31331e7000a01b0042ba.JPG

kavanagh-pension.JPG.b3eeba99341cfea924e0e20e0f6c3a14.JPG

4. This man was living at 5 St Mary's Square, Cork  post WW1 and was born 1882. I cannot tie him to any of your other clues

5. You think your man was born Roscommon. The only possible Irish birth in "Roscommon" town registration district is this illegitimate plain John, no father

kavanagh-rosscommon.JPG.996534bada9c5672cf20d7091df460cc.JPG

He could of course have been registered in any other registration district in Co Roscommon, or an adjoining counhty, but if so, I cannot find him

6. Nobody obvious in 1911 census in Ireland

7. Nobody obvious in 1939 Register in England

Edited by corisande

Having said all that I have found him in Connaught Rangers in India in 1911 census - Click Ancestry 1911 census

Born Ballyforan, Roscommon about 1887.

This does fit all your clues

Which then gets you two possible births, both in Roscommon, bith in Boyle Reg District, which takes in Ballyforan

kavanagh-rosscommon-2.JPG.dbedcab123f92b4797dfcb8be04904ec.JPG

kavanagh-rosscommon-2a.JPG.dfa3e3f767bfc25d82fc0f4e453708d2.JPG

One can establish that the John J Kavanagh in 1911 census is the son of James Kavanagh  and Onney White

His parents had 4 children born in Ballyfornan, James b1890, John b1887, Mary b1885 and Daniel b1884

James b1890 has a British Army Penson card that gives his place if birth as Ballyforan and ex-RIC. The RIC record gives exact dob, and the whole thing fits to show that he came from the same family as John

So to sum up, the John J Kavanagh in Connaught Rangers in 1911 census was born 28 Mar 1887 in Ballyforan, Roscommon. Son of James and Onney. I would be reasonably certain that he was your grandfather (even though his father is not Charles)

Edited by corisande

• 3 weeks later...

I note that the OP has not returned even though he "follows" this thread and gets messages when posts are made

I really do not understand why (particularly new) members post queries and never follow them up

In the case Prayner has been looking for his grandfather for many years, and as passed out on a chance of getting this information

On re-reading this thread a name caught my eye: Lt. (later, Capt.) C. A. Brett. He figured in my book 'Our Fallen Members. The war casualties of the Kildare Street and Dublin University Clubs'. He was present when Capt. Frederick Lewin (also 3rd Battalion) was injured in a training accident with a bomb-throwing catapult at Preghane, Co. Cork, on 10th November, 1915, and he left a dramatic account of the incident and the evacuation of Frederick Lewin.

“The catapult was a wooden affair with strong elastic and a pouch into which the bomb was placed. Fred Lewin, a good friend of mine ... was in charge of the demonstration. It was necessary to wind back the catapult, then place the bomb in the pouch, then light the fuse of the bomb with a match, pull the trigger and let it go. This time, things went wrong. I was about five yards away on top of the trench and saw it all. Fred Lewin lit the match and made to light the fuse which apparently did not light, he fumbled for another match when the thing went off. He was bending over it and took the full blast and was very seriously damaged and the catapult reduced to matchwood. There was of course no first aid arrangements, but Fred’s Talbot car (about a 1911 model, very hard to drive as when you changed gear you had to pick up a stationary layshaft, but I had mastered it) was standing nearby, and I offered to drive him back to hospital at Kinsale, so he was lifted into the passenger seat of the [2-seater] open car and I drove him back over very rough roads just the two of us. But he was dead when we got to hospital and I was very sorry. That was my first, but not my last, experience of sudden death.”

In fact, Lewin was not dead; he had an open, depressed, fracture of the skull above the left eye, with obvious brain damage, and a penetrating wound of the right side of the neck. He died in hospital in Cork four weeks later.

Michael

709981585_CharlesBrett.jpg.221877948a91c6f64149504eae0bf286.jpg920754355_FrederickLewin.jpg.508db5b282a722a249638eebd833df87.jpgCatapult.JPG.f78ee183e142f7d03b6091ad932a59bd.JPG

Charles Brett                                   Frederick Lewin                                    Bomb-throwing catapult

Edited by Michael Pegum

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 20/07/2007 at 23:19, mhifle said:

Hi,

I found this in the 3rd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers War Diary for April/May 1916, entitled The Irish

Very Interesting. But why is there a war diary for the 3/Connaught Rangers? 

I thought there were no war diaries for HOME battalions. 

Jervis

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2007 at 23:19, mhifle said:

Hi,

I found this in the 3rd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers War Diary for April/May 1916, entitled The Irish Rebellion:

Regards Mark

Mobile Column No.1 26 Officers and 558 other ranks left by route march for Crosshaven from Kinsale 11:30 pm 25 April 1916.

Made up of 4 Companies.

Lieutenant Colonel A J Digan DSO, Commanding

Major H M Hutchinson DSO

Lieutenant T Cheadle Adjutant

Captain A G Moutray Commanding No.4 Company

Captain I H Garvey Commanding No.2 Company

Captain J J Kavanagh Commanding No.3 Company

Captain J Tasker Commanding No.1 Company

Lieutenant H M Swifte Transport Officer

Lieutenant P Mc Bride Supply Officer

Lieutenant C A Brett Machine Gun Officer

2nd Lieutenant W Minch Signalling Officer

2nd Lieutenant S P Reed

2nd Lieutenant R T Roussel

2nd Lieutenant P D Low

2nd Lieutenant W L Tolputt

2nd Lieutenant J A Sheridan

2nd Lieutenant J F B O’Sullivan

2nd Lieutenant S B Minch

2nd Lieutenant G A McDowell

2nd Lieutenant J F Desmond

2nd Lieutenant J M Forbes

2nd Lieutenant C W B Fitzgerald

Captain J D’Arcy joined Column 29 April 1916

2nd Lieutenant L G D’Arcy joined Column 29 April 1916

Below attached to 3rd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers served with the column

Captain C B Pearson RAMC Medical Officer

2nd Lieutenant E R Clarke 10th East Surrey Regiment

2nd Lieutenant R L Osborne 14th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

2nd Lieutenant D L Lowns? 16th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Proceeded to the Fota Estate via Queenstown and encamped on Lord Barrymore’s demense. 1 section of Royal Field Artillery attached to the column 26 April 1916

Column strengthened by 2 Officers and 12 other ranks of the Royal Engineers and one 4.7” gun and complement of the Royal Garrison Artillery 27 to 28 April 1916

Entrained for Wexford. 29 April 1916

Arrived Wexford and encamped outside the town. Detachment of 70 other ranks of the South Irish Horse under Lieutenant Colonel Lord Wicklow, a half composite battalion of the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment, 4th Battalion, The Connaught Rangers under Major Willington, and a detachment of the Young Officers Company were attached to the Column 30 April 1916

Column marched to Killurin the concentration point for the attack on Enniscorthy. The rebels had meanwhile surrendered at the old uprising Battle Site at Vinegar Hill and the town was reached at 3 pm where the column went into camp on the Show Grounds. Captain C D O,Brien-Butler Adjutant 4th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment took over the duties of Staff Captain to the column. 1 May 1916

2 Officers and 50 other ranks of the 3rd Battalion The Connaught Rangers acting in conjunction with the Royal Irish Constabulary under District Inspector H R Heggart arrested 56 prominent rebels in the town 2 May 1916

Surrounding countryside was patrolled in all directions 3 May 1916

Two companies, 250 men under the command of Major H M Hutchinson proceeded to Ferns 4 May 1916

Reached Gorey and encamped in the grounds of Sir George Errington’s residence 5 May 1916

Whole force returned to Enniscorthy 8 May 1916

The column left for New Ross 9 May 1916

118 rebels were arrested at Enniscorthy and a small quantity of rifles, shot guns and other arms were handed in. 1-9 May 1916

New Ross searched 9 May 1916

Waterford searched 10 May 1916

The Column left for Dungarvan remaining one night at Kilmacthomas 12 May 1916

The Column arrived Dungarvan 13 May 1916

The Royal Irish Constabulary in all the towns were adverse to any further arrests being made or a house to house search for arms as the majority of the people were not in sympathy with the Sinn Fein movement.

The Column left Dungarvan and spent the night in camped at Ballymacarberry 15/16 May 1916

Reached Clonmel 16 May 1916

Search at Clonmel resulted in capture of 3 Winchester 303 rifles and 8 persons were arrested.

The Column dispersed with the various detachments rejoining their units. 20 May 1916

4 Officers and 100 other ranks of the 3rd Battalion The Connaught Rangers under Captain I H Garvey left at Clonmel to strengthen the garrison there and rejoined the Battalion some days later.

No. 3 Mobile Column formed with 20 Officers and 350 other ranks on 6 May 1916

Made up of 3 Companies.

Major O F Lloyd Commanding the Column

Captain F M S Gidson Adjutant

Captain N S B Kidson Commanding No.1 Company

Lieutenant L C Badham Supply Officer

Lieutenant J H R Dickson Commanding No.2 Company

2nd Lieutenant M D O’Rorke Commanding No.3 Company

2nd Lieutenant M J B Davey

2nd Lieutenant R H French

2nd Lieutenant F K Cummins

2nd Lieutenant W A Ussher Transport Officer

2nd Lieutenant R F Lenane

2nd Lieutenant E H Huggard

2nd Lieutenant F W S Jourdain Signalling Officer

2nd Lieutenant A Ribbons

Lieutenant B P Young RAMC Medical Officer

40 Officers and other ranks of 2/4th London Regiment (London Scottish)

2nd Lieutenant W Hamilton Joined column at Bandon 9 May 1916

2nd Lieutenant A Ribbons Joined column at Bandon 9 May 1916

Proceeded with 1 machine gun to Bandon, the point of assembly for the Column. Here they were joined by 2 Officers and 50 other ranks on detachment duty there and 4 Officers and 100 other ranks of the 2/4th London Regiment (London Scottish) with 2 Lewis guns. 6 May 1916

The Column remained at Bandon until 11 May 1916

During this time raids were made on houses of suspected persons resulting in the capture of 23 rebels and a number of shotguns and pikes as well as a quantity of equipment and blasting powder.

The Column proceeded to Clonakilty where the London Scottish Company left for Rosslare. Raids in this district resulted in the capture of 10 rebels and various articles of equipment 11 May 1916

The Column moved to Rosscarbery where they were joined by 2 Officers and 39 other ranks of the South Irish Horse and 1 Gun and complement of the Royal Field Artillery 15 May 1916

Marched to Skibbereen 16 May 1916

Raids made in Skibbereen and the surrounding district resulted in the capture of 3 rebels, a quantity of Sinn Fein Literature, 1 rifle, 2 shotguns, 1 revolver and a small supply of ammunition.

The Column moved to Bantry via Ballydehob and remained one day 22 May 1916

Bantry was reached 24 May 1916

Police did not require any arrests to be made at Bantry.

The details from South Irish Horse and Royal Field Artillery proceeded to rejoin their units 26 May 1916

The Column returned to Kinsale 27 May 1916

HEADQUARTERS

Mobile Column No.1 left for Crosshaven. Lieutenant Colonel A J Digan, DSO Commanding 11:30 pm 25 April 1916

2nd Lieutenant H E Bevis and 25 other ranks left Headquarters for Waterville to reinforce the detachment there. Returned to Headquarters 3 May 1916

Mobile Column No.3 proceeded to Bandon. Major O F Lloyd, Commanding 6 May 1916

2nd Lieutenants R H French and U A Moore with 50 other ranks proceeded to Bandon where they captured 7 rebels, some rifles, as well as a quantity of ammunition and equipment. They were absorbed into the No.3 Column 6 May 1916

Lieutenant L C Badham MC with 30 other ranks operating from Headquarters made 2 raids on houses of suspected persons in the Kinsale district on 4 and 5 May 1916. 11 rebels were arrested and 2 Lee Enfield rifles, 5 shot guns and a quantity of ammunition and equipment seized.

The detachment at Crosshaven moved to Kinsale and the 4th Battalion The Connaught Rangers took over from them. 6 Officers and B, E and K Companies arrived at Charles Fort, 22 May 1916

A redistribution of the 3rd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers companies took place at Kinsale 24 May 1916

In Barracks Kinsale: C, D, H, K, and L Companies

In Charles Fort: A, B, C, E, F, G and I Companies

A decrease in strength of the Battalion, with a resulting reduction in the number of companies.

I Company disbanded 30 June 1916

K Company disbanded 29 July 1916

L Company disbanded 25 Aug 1916

I am currently researching a memorial to the men of 3rd Battalion of the Connaught Rangers, who died in Kinsale from 1914 to 1917. How can I get access to the diary of the battalion . Here are the list of names on the memorial 

5788 C OMR Sergeant P Maher 6/12/1915

5/625 Sgt E Malone 17/2/1918

3/5461 Lance Corporal W Greenwood 10/11/15

4247 PT P Casey 2/2/1915

3/6021 PT T Campbell 13/6/1915

8398 PT M Walshe 1/2/1915 

4613 SGT  P Bolger 1/11/1917

7828 Lance Corporal J O’ Neill 15/4/1916

10990 P O’ Brien 19/3/1916 

7791 PT J McCann 8/11/1916

3/5083 PT  A Mc Guigan 16/6/1915

5036 PT M Sanaghan 8/12/1914 

On 28/12/2007 at 14:36, kinsalegreg said:

Hi Mark

Fascinating posts. My grandfather - Sergeant Frederick Baker - was made orderly room clerk at Kinsale for the 3rd Battalion in April 1914. I wonder if he knew your great grandfather. I have a 1910 newspaper clipping of the sergeants of the 3rd Battalion with Lt Col Inglis - taken at Renmore Barracks. I guess your grandfather might be on that ? Have you any photographs on which my grandafther might appear ?

Also the Mobile Columns - very many thanks for this post. Two things: I did not know a war diary existed for the 3rd Battalion - where is it located ? Also I have a postcard from Frank Begley to my Grandfather - it is dated May12 1916 and is posted from Kilmacthomas to my grandfather back in Kinsale. As your post demonstrates Begley was with the Mobile Column which stayed that night in Kilmacthomas. Interestingly the post card was a picture postcard with the picture entitled The Irish Rebellion May 1916 and showing damage to church street - it had reached Kilmacthomas ready for dsale within 12 days !

Kinsalegreg

I live in Kinsale currently researching a memorial to Rangers who died in the town from 1914 to 1917, have you any more info on your grandfather's time in the town?

On 20/01/2020 at 10:18, Michael Pegum said:

On re-reading this thread a name caught my eye: Lt. (later, Capt.) C. A. Brett. He figured in my book 'Our Fallen Members. The war casualties of the Kildare Street and Dublin University Clubs'. He was present when Capt. Frederick Lewin (also 3rd Battalion) was injured in a training accident with a bomb-throwing catapult at Preghane, Co. Cork, on 10th November, 1915, and he left a dramatic account of the incident and the evacuation of Frederick Lewin.

“The catapult was a wooden affair with strong elastic and a pouch into which the bomb was placed. Fred Lewin, a good friend of mine ... was in charge of the demonstration. It was necessary to wind back the catapult, then place the bomb in the pouch, then light the fuse of the bomb with a match, pull the trigger and let it go. This time, things went wrong. I was about five yards away on top of the trench and saw it all. Fred Lewin lit the match and made to light the fuse which apparently did not light, he fumbled for another match when the thing went off. He was bending over it and took the full blast and was very seriously damaged and the catapult reduced to matchwood. There was of course no first aid arrangements, but Fred’s Talbot car (about a 1911 model, very hard to drive as when you changed gear you had to pick up a stationary layshaft, but I had mastered it) was standing nearby, and I offered to drive him back to hospital at Kinsale, so he was lifted into the passenger seat of the [2-seater] open car and I drove him back over very rough roads just the two of us. But he was dead when we got to hospital and I was very sorry. That was my first, but not my last, experience of sudden death.”

In fact, Lewin was not dead; he had an open, depressed, fracture of the skull above the left eye, with obvious brain damage, and a penetrating wound of the right side of the neck. He died in hospital in Cork four weeks later.

Michael

709981585_CharlesBrett.jpg.221877948a91c6f64149504eae0bf286.jpg920754355_FrederickLewin.jpg.508db5b282a722a249638eebd833df87.jpgCatapult.JPG.f78ee183e142f7d03b6091ad932a59bd.JPG

Charles Brett                                   Frederick Lewin                                    Bomb-throwing catapult

Wow actually  3/5461 Lance Corporal W Greenwood 10/11/15 was killed in the incident. LC Greenwood was from 21 21 Robertshaw St Leigh Lancs, he was married to Jane Greenwood. I am currently researching a memorial in the town which contains all the names of the men killed in the town during the time the 3rd Batt was there from 1914 to 1917.

JJH has been in touch, and I am sending him a full account of the incident. As well as Lewin and Greenwood being killed, another officer and four men were injured.

I see that Frederick Lewin's name is not on the memorial. Perhaps it was because he died in Cork, not in Kinsale.

Michael

13 hours ago, Michael Pegum said:

JJH has been in touch, and I am sending him a full account of the incident. As well as Lewin and Greenwood being killed, another officer and four men were injured.

I see that Frederick Lewin's name is not on the memorial. Perhaps it was because he died in Cork, not in Kinsale.

Michael

The accounts in the papers never mention that he died. 

The funeral was in the Cork Examiner, 11 December, 1915.

The caption reads "The death of Captain F. H. Lewin, of the 3rd Connaught Rangers, took place in the City on Thursday, as the recult of a bomb accident at Kinsale on 10th November, through which a Private also lost his life. Captain Lewin was in charge of a party of men who were practising bomb throwing, when one of the bombs exploded.He was a member of the Irish Bar, and volunteered for active service at the outbreak of the war. He was the owner of considerable property in the West of Ireland, and was well known in sporting circles all over the country. The remains were on yesterday afternoon removed from a Cork Hospital to the Protestant Cathedral, an imposing display of full military honours being accorded. The procession marched through the City, and the passing of the body was reviewed by the citizens with deep respect and sympathy.

Inset represents the late Captain Lewin, from photo by Lafayette, Dublin.

The building shown is at St. Patrick's Place, Wellington Road, Cork, and looks much the same now, on Google Earth, as it did then.

DSC_0153a.JPG

Edited by Michael Pegum