Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick

Thank you very much for the information and the prompt response.

Regards Doug.

Hi Dick,

Wonder if you could do a look up in that great library of yours. Looking for any information on

Lieut. Edward Henry Leigh

2nd Rifle Brigade

Educated Harrow and Cambridge. Not exactly sure of dates but born in 1888. Son of Hon. Sir Edward Chandos Leigh, grandson of the 1st Lord Leigh.

Any information would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andy

Dick,

Very many thanks indeed for the details on Woodhouse of the Dorsets. Much impressed with the speedy reply!

Thanks again,

Steve

Dick

By way of recompense for the many favours you have done for me, here is another RA officer from the Northampton AVLs:

Garros, Oscar Henry Lt "Q" Btty, Anti-Air; RFA of 328 Wellingborough Road, Northampton.

More as they appear...

Thanks and best wishes

Kate

Dick

I am hunting for info on

Thomas Mobray Martin Berkeley 2nd Royal Highlanders kia 20/5/16 (age 56)

He went to Beaumont College prior to Sandhurst on 1/5/1878.

I realise this is a very long shot but sometimes you get lucky!

Here's Hoping

Thanks

Fred

Fred:

I am hunting for info on

Thomas Mobray Martin Berkeley 2nd Royal Highlanders kia 20/5/16 (age 56)

He went to Beaumont College prior to Sandhurst on 1/5/1878.

Fred: I am sorry but I have nothing on Beaumont College or Thomas Berkeley. Regards. Dick

• 3 weeks later...

Dick, any chance of a look up for Arthur Hector Bennett born 1895 Chapel en le Frith , Derbyshire , attended Bugsworth church school , parents Arthur and Sarah.

He joined the 1/6th Notts ane Derby Territorials ,first army number being 1836.

Later served in France with the 1/6th battalion , then 21st Lancers but then we lose track of him until he joins the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards probably around 1919.

Thanks ,

Dave B.

Dave wrote:

Dick, any chance of a look up for Arthur Hector Bennett born 1895 Chapel en le Frith , Derbyshire , attended Bugsworth church school , parents Arthur and Sarah.

Dave: Unfortunately I have nothing on Bugsworth Church School. Regards. Dick

Dick

I have tried to contact you by email but somehow this has not worked - have you received anything from me please?

Alan

Alan Jones wrote:

Dick

I have tried to contact you by email but somehow this has not worked - have you received anything from me please?

Alan

Alan: I have not received any emails from you. Send me a personal message through the forum with your email address and I will contact you. Regards. Dick

rflory,

If you have the Marlborough School Roll of Honour, could you please tell me if there is a photo of Lt. Harold Davis, RFC. I already have the text but would like a picture if there was one?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Thanks for your generous offer.

I'd be very grateful if you could look up three of my grandfather's first cousins in the Winchester College registers.

They are: Guy Vernon Smith born 1880, Everard Cecil Smith born 1885, killed at the Battle of Mons, and Charles Home C Smith born 1889

If it were possible to find out about two more first cousins who were at Charterhouse: Leonard Rodwell Wilkinson, born 1868, and Bernard Kedington Rodwell Wilkinson, born 1872 that would be great.

Many thanks

Fiona

Fiona wrote:

I'd be very grateful if you could look up three of my grandfather's first cousins in the Winchester College registers.

They are: Guy Vernon Smith born 1880, Everard Cecil Smith born 1885, killed at the Battle of Mons, and Charles Home C Smith born 1889

If it were possible to find out about two more first cousins who were at Charterhouse: Leonard Rodwell Wilkinson, born 1868, and Bernard Kedington Rodwell Wilkinson, born 1872 that would be great.

Fiona: Here is what I can tell you about your men:

Guy Vernon Smith

Born 15 Oct 80, eldest son of Vernon Russell Smith, KC and Eliza Gertrude, daughter of Charles Henry Lovell, Highgate.

Educated at Winchester College from 1893-1899 and at New College, Oxford where he received a 2nd in History in 1902, a BA in 03 and an MA in 06.

Barrister at Lincoln Inn in 04

Took Holy Orders, Deacon 06, Priest, 07

Chaplain, Romford in 06

Chaplain, Oxford House, Bethnal Green, 09

Chap. Bishop of London, 11-18

Priest in ordinary to the King, 16-20

Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class, 1915-19, served in France in 1917 and in Salonika in 1918

Military Cross, London Gazette, 25 Aug 17 ; Officer, Order of the Redeemer (Greece)

Rector at Hackney, 19

Archdeacon, Colombo, 25

Bishop of Willesden, 29-40

Rector of St. Andrew Undershaft since 1934

Bishop of Leicester, 40

Address in 1934 was 65, Hendon Lane, N 3

Sources: Winchester College, 1884-1934, A Register; Wykhemist War Service Roll (various issues); Oxford University Roll of Service.

Everard Cecil Smith

Born 3 Feb 1885, elder son of Rev. Cecil Evan Smith, Rector of Titsey and Rosamond Linda, daughter of Charles Rushworth, Governor of Jamaica

Educated at Winchester College from 1897 to 1903; Shooting VIII, 1902-03

Royal Military College, Sandhurst in 1904; shot in the Sandhurst VIII

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., Royal Fusiliers in Aug 05 and posted to the 3rd Battalion

Employed on survey work in Cape Colony in 1906

Passed through the School of Musketry at Bloemfontein with honours

Won the Gold Medal in 1908 for placing 2nd in the Army Shooting Championship in South Africa

Won the Subaltern's Cup at Meerut in 1911.

During the Great War he served with the 4th Bn, Royal Fusiliers

Killed in action at Nemy,near Mons, 23 Aug 14. He "had shot eight Germans before himself being hit in the head, only saying 'Carry on, Goss' to his bugler, before falling back dead. Only six men of his platoon were unwounded when the trench was surrounded."

Posthumously promoted to Captain in Sept 1914

Sources: Winchester College, 1884-1934, A Register; Wykhemist War Service Roll (various issues); The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume II.

Charles Home Cecil Smith

Born on 8 May 89; 2nd son son of Rev. Cecil Evan Smith, Rector of Titsey and Rosamond Linda, daughter of Charles Rushworth, Governor of Jamaica

Educated at Winchester College from 1902-06 and at Trinity College, Cambridge where he earned First Class Honours in Natural Science in 1907 and a BA in 1910

In 1911 appointed Assistant Master City of London School in 1911

With John Heathcoat & Company, Tiverton since 1912 (later Director)

On 29 Jun 13 he married Margaret Olive (Wainwright)

Later married Eileen Gertrude, daughter of W J Rigg, JP

2nd Lieut, RGA in 1918

In 1934 his address was Flat 81, 88 Portland Place, W1; in 1946 he lived at Green Top, The Rise, Elstree, Herts.

Sources: Winchester College, 1884-1934, A Register; Winchester College, A Register for the Years 1901-1946; Wykhemist War Service Roll (various issues).

Leonard Rodwell Wilkinson

Born on 15 Oct 1868, 2nd son of Lt Col J W Wilkinson, VD, Barrister, of Highgate

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1882 to 1887

Holford Exhibitioner of Christ Church, Oxford, MA, OUAC (Hurdles) 1890-91; Oxford Univ Football

XI, 1889-91;

Played football for England vs. Wales in 1891

Barrister 1893, Inner Temple

Director, Imperial Continental Gas Association and the British Gas Light Company

In 1898 married Laura Mary, eldest daughter of Joseph William Baxendale, of Bemersyde, St. Boswells

He died at Emery Down, New Forest, 9 Feb 1913

Sources: Charterhouse Register, 1872-1931, Vol I.

Bernard Kedington Rodwell Wilkinson

Born on 14 Nov 1872, the 3rd son of Lt Col Josiah W Wilkinson, VD, Barrister of Highgate

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1887 to 1891 and at New College, Oxford, MA

Barrister, 1898, Lincoln's Inn

In 1900 married Margaret Mary, eldest daughter of Henry L. Cripps

Assistant Secretary, Duchy of Cornwall Office

Captain, 7th Bn, North Staffs Regt, served in Mesopotamia during the Great War

Died in hospital in London on 24 Jan 1918, of illness contracted while on active service

Sources: Charterhouse Register, 1872-1931, Vol I; Charterhouse in London; Oxford University Roll of Service.

A photo of Capt. Everard Cecil Smith from the Bond of Sacrifice, Vol. 2

post-28-1095405159.jpg

Jonathan wrote:

If you have the Marlborough School Roll of Honour, could you please tell me if there is a photo of Lt. Harold Davis, RFC. I already have the text but would like a picture if there was one?

Jonathan: I am not aware that there is a Marlborough School Roll of Honour and I have examined a couple of obituaries of Great War officers in the school magazine and the bios are very short and not accompanied by photos. Sorry. Dick

Kate wrote:

By way of recompense for the many favours you have done for me, here is another RA officer from the Northampton AVLs:

Kate: Thank you very much. Dick

Dick,

If you would be so kind could you have a look for any information on Eric George Wellesley who attended Winchester College.

He later served with the 8th Yorkshires being KIA on December 21st 1915.

Grateful for any help.

Bob.

Bob wrote:

If you would be so kind could you have a look for any information on Eric George Wellesley who attended Winchester College.

Bob: 2 Lieut. Eric George Wellesley

Born on 1 May 1896, the second son of Herbert Arthur Wellesley and Charlotte Elizabeth, sister of Archdale Palmer.

Educated at Winchester College from 1909 to 1914

Corporal, 1st Public Schools Bn, Royal Fusiliers, 1914

2nd Lieut, 8th Bn, PWO Yorkshire Regiment, missing

Killed in action at La Houssoie, near Armentieres on 21 Dec 15

Sources: Winchester College, A Register for the Years 1901-1946; Wykehamist War Service Roll, 1st, 6th and 8th Editions.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Just seen your list of school registers and rolls in the other section under Oxford University, that is one magnificent collection.

I wonder if you could assist me again with my research into some Rifle Brigade Officers. I am researching a Lieutenant William Lionel Anthony who went to Colfe Grammer School in Lewisham, i had no idea they did a register/roll for this school until i saw your list. I have his Inns of Court entry and some service papers of his and would be obliged if you could look up any entry in the Colfe Grammer School ,although not a casualty.

Any help would be gratefully received as always, many thanks Dick.

Andy

Andy wrote:

I am researching a Lieutenant William Lionel Anthony who went to Colfe Grammer School in Lewisham

Andy: Here is what I have on your man:

Lieut. William Lionel Anthony, Rifle Brigade

Educated at Colfe's Grammar School from 1907-1908

Enlisted on 8 Dec 15 as Private (Service No. 8234) in C Company, The Inns of Court OTC

Posted to No. 2, Officer Cadet Battalion on 14 Aug 16

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Rifle Brigade on 18 Dec 16

Lieut., Special Reserve, 6th Bn, Rifle Brigade (also served with 1st Bn)

Served in France and wounded on 11 May 17

Was Battalion Bombing Officer

Subsequently attached to 204th POW Company as a Lieutenant

Lived at 49 Dowanhill Road, Catford, SE 6

Sources: Colfe's Grammar School and the Great War 1914-19; The Inns of Court OTC during the Great War.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Once again I am indebted to you, Thank you very much for your assistance on this gentleman.

Andy

Hi Dick,

I wonder if when you have a moment you could see if you've anything on Major Owen Reginald SCHREIBER MC, RFA who died on 22 October 1917 of wounds received on the same day. I'm afraid I don't have his school but am hoping that you already have him indexed in your database of artillery officers.

Many thanks

Gary

I now have a little more on Major Schreiber. He was educated at Wellington College and the Royal Military Academy. From CWGC it appears he served with (and probably commanded) 106nd Battery, XXII Brigade, RFA.

Edited by Gary Samson