Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
rflory

British school registers and rolls of honor

Clear Bell
On 22/03/2009 at 00:28, Moriaty said:

Hello Dick

I dont know whether there is such a thing as a Roll of Honour or Memorial book for Rossall School for the 297 Rossallians killed in the Great War?

If so, I have a former Rossallian who appears in the Rossall Register and would be most grateful for a look up:

Percy Francis Gethin, born 25 July 1874

Entrance Rossall 3rd term 1889, Hain, M 1891

Holywell, Sligo

He was an artist and joined up as private in the 28th Londons Artists Rifles, number 2976. From 1915 he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Devonshires, attached to the 8th Battalion. KIA 28 June 1916 aged 42, buried in Devonshire Cemetery.

Any information would be most welcome. Thanks

Moriaty

PS he was also a student at the Royal College of Art, he taught at Plymouth School of Art and at Liverpool City School of Art. I dont know whether Art Schools had Rolls of Honour or Memorial volumes?

Hi

I know this is ten years later, but I can confirm that the RCA does have a war memorial. I have been researching the names and the memorial itself for a number of years. I am afraid Gethin does not appear on it - could simply be an error or that he attended the precursor to the RCA itself. The RCA online memorial I've been working contains two names not noted on the memorial and, hopefully, if other names come to light they can be acknowledged too. Here is the link to the:

http://remembrance.rca.ac.uk/

best

clive_hughes

Dear Dick,

May I please ask your assistance again in locating further details for two officers (brothers) who died in the Great War?

The elder was Kenneth Rees Habershon (1889-1916).  He went to Winchester College and I have been given a copy of his entry in the "Wykehamists Who died in the War 1914-18" volume.  Leaving in 1908 he went to New College Oxford (he was described as a Law student in 1911 Census and left college that year).  Returned to the UK from Canada 1914 and died as a Captain in the 12th Rifle Brigade.  Is there anything on his university career please?

His younger brother was Leonard Osborne Habershon (1893-1916).  Also a Wykehamist and I have a copy of the entry as above.  Left in 1912.  In 1916 he was killed as a Captain in the 12th East Yorkshire Regiment.  I have a vague idea he may have studied at Queens College Oxford, but wonder if you could confirm this please?

Thank you,

Clive Hughes

clive_hughes

Dick,

I do beg your pardon, you have already looked them up for me back in 2009!  Sorry to bother you.

Clive

nemesis
On 02/01/2004 at 20:21, Tom Morgan said:

What a great resource, Dick! Could you look at Clifton College, Bristol?

Name of pupil - Douglas H**g

I think he would have been a pupil some time before the war of course, about 1875, but I would like to know if the Roll of Honour records the years when he was a pupil.

Thanks,

Tom

For info Douglas Haig went to Clifton Bank School , St Andrews,Fife,Scotland

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/762549/st-andrews-university-remembers-students-who-served-during-first-world-war/

Edited by nemesis

IPT

Hello Dick,

Have you got anything on Frank Saxon Ward (Uppingham), or Jack Bouverie Mallam Ward (Marlborough)?

Cheers.

HERITAGE PLUS

IPT

From The Marlborough College Register 1843-1933:

JACK BOUVERIE MALLAM WARD

Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey.

Born 19 Feb.1895

Marlborough Jan 1909 to Mid 1910 (Littlefield House)

Great War: 2nd Ox & BUCK LI - 2nd Lieut 1914 - Despatches

KIA 4 Nov 1914

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

IPT
39 minutes ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

IPT

From The Marlborough College Register 1843-1933:

JACK BOUVERIE MALLAM WARD

Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey.

Born 19 Feb.1895

Marlborough Jan 1909 to Mid 1910 (Littlefield House)

Great War: 2nd Ox & BUCK LI - 2nd Lieut 1914 - Despatches

KIA 4 Nov 1914

Dave

Thanks Dave!

rflory

From the Uppingham School Roll 1853 to 1947:

Ward, Frank Saxon Born in August 1893. Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey, Cheshire. At Uppingham from January 1908 to July 1911. Captain, King's Liverpool Regiment, Mentioned in despatches twice. Died of wounds 31 July 1917

IPT
17 minutes ago, rflory said:

There is a photo of JBM Ward and details about his death in the Marlborough College Roll of Honour (http://archive.marlboroughcollege.org/Filename.ashx?systemFileName=%2fDOCS%2fWard_JBM.pdf&origFilename=)

4 minutes ago, rflory said:

From the Uppingham School Roll 1853 to 1947:

Ward, Frank Saxon Born in August 1893. Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey, Cheshire. At Uppingham from January 1908 to July 1911. Captain, King's Liverpool Regiment, Mentioned in despatches twice. Died of wounds 31 July 1917

That's perfect. Thanks very much, Dick.