Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

Not certain on this man but if you have anything on Bailliol College would it be possible to see if there is anything on Frederick Milholland.

Many thanks for your trouble.

Bob.

Bob Coulson wrote:

if you have anything on Bailliol College would it be possible to see if there is anything on Frederick Milholland.

Capt. Frederick Raymond Milholland

Born 1 Jan 96; eldest son of J. F. Milholland, Crown Solicitor of Jamaica of Kingston, Jamaica.

Came to England in 1907

Educated at Oundle School from 1907 to 1914, where he was Captain of the School in 1913 and 1914 and a member of the XV from 1912 to 1913.

Elected Domus Exhibitioner, Balliol College, Oxford and Rhodes Scholar from Jamaica in December 1914, for 1915 but was never in residence.

In December 1914 he was gazetted as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 6th Bn., Yorks Regiment

Took part in the battle of the Somme in 1916; wounded at Mametz Wood

Promoted to Captain and Adjutant in 1917

He was out with a runner inspecting the front line when he was hit by a sniper near Bethune on 27 February 1918. It took some time before he could be taken to a Field Ambulance. From there he was taken to No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station but died an hour after being admitted.

Before the war he was a Director of James Pain and Sons, Ltd.

Below is a photo of him from the last-listed source.

Sources: Balliol College Registers, 1833-1933 and 1900-1950; Oundle Memorials of the Great War, MCMXIV-MCMXIX.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-28-1088035240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

If you have anything on Eton scholars would be grateful for any info on William Percy Orde-Powlett who went on to Cambridge and was KIA with the 4th Yorkshires in 1915.

Bob.

Bob Coulson wrote:

If you have anything on Eton scholars would be grateful for any info on William Percy Orde-Powlett who went on to Cambridge and was KIA with the 4th Yorkshires in 1915.

Lieut. William Percy Orde-Powlett, Yorkshire Regiment

Born on 7 April 1894, the eldest son of William George Algar Orde-Powell, 5th Lord Bolton of Wensley Hall, Leyburn, Yorks

Educated at Eton from 1908 to 1913 where he studied science and biology and was in the Boats; and at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1913.

Gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment in Sept 1914

and went to the front on in April 1915.

Killed in Action at Bellewaarde Lake on 17 May 1915.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXIX; War List of the University of Cambrige 1914-1919; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume II.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-28-1088899742.jpg

Dick,

Many thanks for your help once again.

The good news is I am starting to build up my own collection of ref books, just purchased De Ruvigny and Bond of Sacrifice so hopefully will not have to trouble you too much in the future.

Once again, thanks.

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

If you wouldn't mind could you look up any info on Eric Noel Player, I know he was at Cambridge but not which college.

Many thanks.

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Thanks once again for the look-ups you have already done for me and may I ask another!!

WILLIAM ORAM (2/Lt or Pilot Officer, 56 Sqn, RFC/RAF). Killed in flying accident in France 8/7/1918, formerly a student at University College, Dundee.

Many thanks,

Jon

Bob Coulson wrote:

If you wouldn't mind could you look up any info on Eric Noel Player, I know he was at Cambridge but not which college.

Bob: I don't have much on him except that he was at Fitzwilliam Hall, U of Cambridge in 1911.

The OTC Roll lists an E N Player who served with the Yorks R. as being a having been a part of the University of Bristol OTC. Regards. Dick

Signals wrote:

WILLIAM ORAM (2/Lt or Pilot Officer, 56 Sqn, RFC/RAF). Killed in flying accident in France 8/7/1918, formerly a student at University College, Dundee.

Jon: I can not find anything about this man and do not have a register for University College, Dundee. Regards. Dick

Signals wrote:

Jon: I can not find anything about this man and do not have a register for University College, Dundee. Regards. Dick

Dick,

Thanks for looking.

Jon

Guest woodyudet

Dick,

If you have any information on Lt. FREDERICK RENNELL THACKERAY MC [killed 1915] who attended St. Lawrence College Ramsgate I would be extremely grateful.

P.S. How did you come across this publication?

Does it list VC winners by any chance? I remember browsing through "Public School War Memorials" by N&M a few years ago and it said that someone from St. Lawrence College Ramsgate [wasn't specific as to whom] won a VC. I'd be more than interested to find out if this is true or not.

many thanks,

regards,

woody

Hi Dick

Are your registers only for officers? If a Private 'look up' is possible, could you kindly search for:

Pvt Herbert Charles Kendall

4400 or 200570

7th Bedfordshires

KIA 23/03/1918

Born in Kettering and in 1901 his family owned / ran the Woolpack Inn, Kettering (now Rothwell). Suggests schooling in Kettering, Northants.

Thank you, even if you cant!

Steve

Guest woodyudet

Dick,

If you have any information on Lt. FREDERICK RENNELL THACKERAY MC [killed 1915] who attended St. Lawrence College Ramsgate I would be extremely grateful.

Does it list VC winners by any chance? I remember browsing through "Public School War Memorials" by N&M a few years ago and it said that someone from St. Lawrence College Ramsgate [wasn't specific as to whom] won a VC. I'd be more than interested to find out if this is true or not.

many thanks,

regards,

woody

Woody wrote:

Does it list VC winners by any chance?

Woody: Lieut. Frederick Rennell Thackeray, MC was born at Campbellpore, Punjab, India on 24 March 1892, the only son of Colonel Frederick Rennell Thackeray, RFA who died on active service in the Great War. He was a student at St. Lawrence College, Ramsgate from 1902 to 1910 and played on the college's Association XI in 1910. He then was at RMC, Sandhurst and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. in the West Riding Regt. in March 1912 and posted to the 2nd Battalion. Promoted to Lieutenant in August 1914 while stationed with his battalion in Dublin. His battalion went to France with the 13th Brigade, 5th Division and took part in the battle of and retreat from Mons. He was present at the battle of Le Cateau, the Marne, the Aisne, and the 1st battle of Ypres. He was then appointed Assistant Adjutant. He was invalided to Nice, but rejoined his battalion in April and reached the trenches on the 17th of April. The next day he took command of "B" Company and died while leading his men in the charge on Hill 60, near Ypres, shot through the head. He was mentioned in despatches by Sir John French in the London Gazette of 14 Jan 15 and was awarded the MC in the London Gazette of 18 Feb 15. . Killed in action near Ypres on 18 April 1915.

Sources: St. Lawrence College Register 1879-1934 and 1879-1924; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume II.

I have attached a photo of him below.

The VC recipient from St. Lawrence College was Major Frank Crowther Roberts, VC, DSO, OBE, MC, Worcs Regt. He was also four times MID and three times wounded.

You asked how I "came across this publication". I am not really sure what you mean by that. If you are asking from where I get the information I place on the forum in this thread, it comes from my library of almost 500 British school registers and rolls of honour and numerous other references.

Regards. Dick Flory

Photo of Lieut. Frederick Rennell Thackeray, MC:

post-28-1091164947.jpg

DICK

I know its a long shot but would you have anything on a Harry or Henry Bird 13051 25th Frontiersmen Battalion Royal Fusiliers killed 1915 Africa who was educated in Gloucester, or do you need the exact name of the school

Guest woodyudet

Dick,

Many thanks - you're a true star.

I wasn't aware the SLC had a 'school register'. I'm not sure if the school is either. When I was a student I was asked to undertake some research into WW1 old boys. I didn't get very far as it was a bit difficult without the internet and being 14 [difficult to get to PRO!]. I did go to CWBC in Ypers however take a photo of Thackeray's name on the Menin Gate.

The school had a register of sorts but with only basic information in it - school dates, enlistments, KIA date etc.

The description of Thackeray's, - did that come from the Register itself or "bond of sacrifice"? I'd be very interested to find out more about your sources. Once I finish my MA, I hope to pick up this task once again. I'm due to return to School next month for the old boy's football - might have to pop in and see my former History teacher ... !

many thanks, once again

cheers,

woody

Nigel wrote:

I know its a long shot but would you have anything on a Harry or Henry Bird 13051 25th Frontiersmen Battalion Royal Fusiliers killed 1915 Africa who was educated in Gloucester, or do you need the exact name of the school

Nigel: I have not been able to find anything on Harry or Henry Bird. If you know the name of his school it would help. Regards. Dick

Woody wrote:

The school had a register of sorts but with only basic information in it - school dates, enlistments, KIA date etc.

The description of Thackeray's, - did that come from the Register itself or "bond of sacrifice"?

Woody: You are correct that the SLC Register does not give much information. Most of the information I gave you and the photo came from bond of Sacrifice

Regards. Dick

Dick,

Wonder if in your great library of colleges if you have any info on

Lieutenant Edward Henry LEIGH, 2nd Rifle Brigade. Educated Harrow and Cambridge. Not exactly sure of dates there but was born in 1888. Son of Hon. Sir Edward Chandos Leigh, grandson of the 1st Lord Leigh.

Any info would be greatly received. Thanks

Andy

Hi Dick,

I would be most grateful if you could do a look up for me for one G C WOODHOUSE (Geoffery Clayton - if I remember rightly) who was commissioned from the Rugby School OTC into the Dorset Regt circa 1916.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve wrote:

I would be most grateful if you could do a look up for me for one G C WOODHOUSE (Geoffery Clayton - if I remember rightly) who was commissioned from the Rugby School OTC into the Dorset Regt circa 1916.

Lieut. Geoffrey Clayton Woodhouse

Born 16 Nov 97, eldest son of Alfred Edward Clayton Woodhouse, Kilve, Bridgwater, Somerset

Educated at Rugby School from Sept 1911 to 1915

Lieut., 6th Bn, Dorsetshire Regt. - wounded June 1918

After war was a farmer and lived at Spaxton Court, Bridgwater, Somerset - retired 1961

In 1941 appointed Justice of Peace in Somerset and served until 1970

From 1936-1970 served as Chairman, Bridgwater Count Bench

Still living in 1975.

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1911-1946; Rugby School Who's Who, 1975

Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

Could you please do a look up on this man,any information would be appreciated

Lieutenant GEORGE MACPHERSON

4th Section Machine Gun Corps

Killed in Action 15/09/1916 Age:20

Son of George and Hilda M. Macpherson, of "The Lloyd House." Educated at Lockers Park and Winchester.

Regards Doug

Doug Lewis wrote:

Could you please do a look up on this man,any information would be appreciated

Lieutenant GEORGE MACPHERSON

4th Section Machine Gun Corps

Killed in Action 15/09/1916 Age:20

Son of George and Hilda M. Macpherson, of "The Lloyd House." Educated at Lockers Park and Winchester.

Lieut. George Macpherson

Born 7 March 1896, the son of G. Macpherson, Wolverhampton

Educated at Winchester, 1909 to 1915; Sen. Co. Prae., Associaton XV, 1914-1915

2nd Lieut East Kent Regiment,1915

Lieut, Machinge Gun Corps (Tank Corps), 1916

KIA 15 Sep 16 near Albert, first advance of Tanks

Sources: Wykehamist War Service Roll, Final Edition, 1919; Winchester College, 1884-1934, A Register; Winchester College Register, 1901-1946

There is a publication called Wykehamists Who Died in the War, 1914-1918" I think his photo and biography should be in Volume 4, but I only have volumes I - III.

Regards. Dick Flory