Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hello Dick,

I hope I'm your not regretting your generous offer yet! I would be very grateful if you could see if you have anything on 2/Lieut Tom Overton Gerard, Manchester Regt and MGC who was KIA 10/07/1916 while serving with the 112th MG Company. He attended King William's College, Isle of Man, Manchester University, and Oxford University.

Many thanks

Gavin

I hope I'm your not regretting your generous offer yet! I would be very grateful if you could see if you have anything on 2/Lieut Tom Overton Gerard, Manchester Regt and MGC who was KIA 10/07/1916 while serving with the 112th MG Company. He attended King William's College, Isle of Man, Manchester University, and Oxford University.

2nd Lieut. Tom Overton Gerard

Born on 16 Sep 92, the son of Thomas Gerard of Wigan

Attended King William's College from Sep 06 to Jul 10 where he played in the XI.

Student Manchester University from 1910 to 1913

Probationer, Indian Forestry Service

Student at University College, Oxford University, MSc, 2nd Class Honours in Chemistry in 1914

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., 4th Bn, Manchester Regiment in 10 Mar 1915

Later served with Machine Gun Corps

KIA 10 Jul 16 at Contalmaison

Sources: King William's College Register, 1886-1956; Manchester University Roll of Service, 1922; Oxford University Roll of Service, 1920.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Does your vast info cover the Duke of York's Military Royal School in Chelsea for Charles Frederick Gambles and Albert E Gambles? Time frame: 1897 - 1905.

It was also called Duke of York's Royal Military Asylum (for children of soldiers) untill 1892.

Much obliged,

Michael

Many thanks Dick for your very full reply concerning 2/Lieut Tom Gerard. Much appreciated.

Regards

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Do you have Dover College in your incredible collection. I am looking for 2nd Lieut Alfred Reginald CHAPMAN, 6th Machine Gun Corps, Joined the University and Public Schools Brigade of the Royal Fusiliers.

Any information on him would be great, Many thanks.

Andy

Andy wrote:

I am looking for 2nd Lieut Alfred Reginald CHAPMAN,

Andy: Here is what the Dover College Register has on him:

Chapman, Alfred Reginald. Student at Dover College from 1906 to 1907. Born 14 March 1891. Before the war was an Accountant. Served in France during the Great War as a 2nd Lieut. in the 19th Royal Fusiliers and the Machine Gun Corps. Killed in action on 2 Dec 1917.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for that piece from Dover College.

Andy

Dick,

If you have anything for London University would be grateful for any info on 2nd Lt Harry Needham Laing of the Yorkshire Regiment who was with the University Officer Training Corps.

Bob.

Bob wrote:

If you have anything for London University would be grateful for any info on 2nd Lt Harry Needham Laing of the Yorkshire Regiment who was with the University Officer Training Corps.

2nd Lieut. Harry Needham Laing

Son of Mr. H G N Laing of Grove Park

Student at London School of Economics

Paricipated in University of London OTC

Went to France in Sept 1916 and served with the York Regiment

Killed in action at Martinpuich on 17 Sep 16 and buried there.

Source: University of London OTC Roll of War Service 1914-1919.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

If you would be so kind, any chance of a look up for any info on

Maurice Bovingdon Lambert of Queens College Cambridge.

Most grateful as always for any assistance.

Bob.

Bob wrote

If you would be so kind, any chance of a look up for any info on

Maurice Bovingdon Lambert of Queens College Cambridge.

Bob, he was born at Twickenhan, Middlesex on 8 Jan 1894, the son of John James Lambert, Assistant to the Clerk of the Skinners' Company, and Florence Louisa Lambert of Church End, Finchley, London

Educated at Merchant Talyors' School where he was on the School XV from 1911 to 1913.

In 1913 he was an exhibitioner at Queens' College, Cambridge.

Gazetted into the Yorkshire Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant on 2 Sep 14

Promoted to Lieutenant in June 1915

Killed in Action at Gallilpoli, 7 Aug 15 a few hours after the landing, while serving with the 6th Bn, Yorkshire Regiment.

Sources: War List of Cambridge University, 1914-1918; To What End Did They Die; DeRuvigny's Roll of Honour, Volume 1, Part II; Merchant Taylors' School Register, 1851-1920.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Do you have any records of pupils from King Edward School, Bath, or masters from King Edward VI school, Camp Hill, Birmingham? Still trying to find which regiment my uncle joined.

Any sightings gratefully recieved, though it seems as if Otto Albert Heinrich has been deleted from all records. His first names could be in different order, and his surname spelt wrongly, just to complicate things.

Bet you wish you'd never volunteered your services for this? :)

VivP

Do you have any records of pupils from King Edward School, Bath, or masters from King Edward VI school, Camp Hill, Birmingham? Still trying to find which regiment my uncle joined.

Any sightings gratefully recieved, though it seems as if Otto Albert Heinrich has been deleted from all records. His first names could be in different order, and his surname spelt wrongly, just to complicate things.

The Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham 1914-1919 unfortunately doesn't show war services for masters. It does list a pupil named S. G. S. Heinrich who attended the school from 1902-1909 and served a Sjt in France with the 6 Bn, R. Warwicks.

I have nothing on K. Edwards School, Bath. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks very much, Dick.

I have no idea S. G. S. Heinrich was! There is one Heinrich on the cwgc site, but not this one.

In the one page of the Roll of Service (sic) which I was sent, there were two Hinckleys, A and P, who are asterisked as members of School Staff, and appear on the Masters page of the school 'book'. A. Hinckley, MSc, received the MC, and was a lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery, and for P. Hinckley, BA, it says MC Mentioned. He was a captain in the Leicester Regiment.

You've saved me a thankless round of phone calls. Good of you.

Viv

The Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham 1914-1919 unfortunately doesn't show war services for masters. It does list a pupil named S. G. S. Heinrich who attended the school from 1902-1909 and served a Sjt in France with the 6 Bn, R. Warwicks.

I have nothing on K. Edwards School, Bath. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick and others,

King Edward's School Birmingham (it is King Edward VI) and King Edward VI School, Camp Hill, Birmingham are different schools though they have a common link in the King Edwards School Foundation.

It is possible that a letter/email to the Foundation Office in Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham may prove helpful.

The school contact details are on the web at KES Birmingham

The foundation office appears not to have an email but the postal address would be similar, also being in Edgbaston Park Road at the entrance to the school.

There is a splendid free standing chapel in the school grounds which is the schools war memorial and contains panels with the names of those who died inscribed thereon.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

I'm grateful to you for making me realise my mistake. The Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham 1914-1919 is not what I was looking for. For those of us who aren't completely sure about this, could you possibly list all the King Edward, and King Edward VI schools in Birmingham that existed at, and before, 1914? Would it be sensible to put it on the forum?

I'm almost certain that the Roll of Service of King Edward VI school, Camp Hill, which I mentioned as having masters in as well as pupils, is still in the school's archives only, and fairly jealously guarded.

I posted the name, email address and phone number of the archivist at King Edward VI school somewhere on this forum, but now I can't remember where!

Why are there so many schools named after Henry VIII's son? To consolidate the newly-formed English church?

Viv

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

I would be gratful if you can find any reference to Second Lieutenant Leonard Marriott Davenport, Royal Irish Fusiliers. Died of wounds, 6th September 1916.

He was an old boy of Rugby School

Regards

Andy

Andy Shaw wrote:

I would be gratful if you can find any reference to Second Lieutenant Leonard Marriott Davenport, Royal Irish Fusiliers. Died of wounds, 6th September 1916.

Andy: Here is what I can tell you about 2nd Lieut. Leonard Marriott Davenport.

Born on 8 April 1899, the fifth son of Thomas Marriott Davenport, Clerk of the Peace for Oxfordshire and Emily Davenport of Headington Hill, Oxford.

He was educated at Rugby School from May 1903 to 1907 and at the South-Eastern Agricultural College at Wye, Kent.

In 1911 he obtained a government appoitment as a Surveyor in the Federated Malay States.

Returned home in April 1915 and obtained leave from the Colonial Office to take a commisson.

Gazetted as a 2nd Lieut. in the 3rd Bn, Royal Irish Fusiliers in June 1915.

He went to the front in May 1916 attached to the 7th Bn, Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Took part in the Battle of the Somme and wounded at Falfemont Farm on 5 Sept 1917, while leading his men to their objective. He died at the 21st Casualty Clearing Station at Corbie-sur-Somme on 6 Sept 1917 at the age of 27.

Sources: Memorials to Rugbeins Who Fell in the Great War, Volume IV; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register.

Attached below is a photo of Davenport from the first listed source above.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-28-1087345421.jpg

Dick,

Once again you have come up trumps, I recently picked up a pair of well worn binoculars with this officers name on. Its makes these items all the more poignant when you know something about the person that owned them.

Best Regards

Andy

post-28-1087428626.jpg

Andy: A very nice pair of attributable binoculars. Glad I could help. Dick

Dick,

Would you be so kind as to see if you have anything on Captain John Maughan of the 4th bn Yorkshire Regiment.

He was a member of the OTC at Marlborough College.

Grateful as always for any help.

Bob.

Bob Coulson wrote:

Would you be so kind as to see if you have anything on Captain John Maughan of the 4th bn Yorkshire Regiment.

He was a member of the OTC at Marlborough College.

Bob: Capt. John Maughan

Born at Abbey Hill on 4 Jan 1890, the son of Capt (Hon. Major) John Maughan, VD of Abbey Hill, Jervaulx, Ripon, Yorks, a land agent and late Captain, 1st (Volunteer) Bn, The Yorkshire Regiment, and his first wife, Annie, daughter of Thomas Robinson.

Educated at Marlborough College from Sept 1903 to March 1908, where he was a member of the Cadet Corps.

Employed with Messrs. Addleshaw of Manchester

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., 4th Bn, Yorkshire Regt. on 18 Jun 08

Promoted to Lieut. on 1 Mar 11 and to Captain on 3 Nov 14.

Went to France on 17 Apr 15 and served with the 4th Yorks Regiment

MID in LG 17 Feb 1916

Killed in action at Poperinghe on 17 Feb 1916.

I am not aware of any photos of him.

Sources: Marlborough College Registers, 1843-1933 and 1843-1952 and DeRuvigney's Roll of Honour, Volume 2, Part 1