The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

R D NIGHTINGALE (Lt)

H S MARSHALL (Major) - Eastbourne College I believe

Here is what I can tell you about the above two officers:

Dick

Many thanks for the extremely useful information - a lot more than I had, especially for R D Nightingale.

Thanks again

John

Chad:

Kenneth Buchanan McKenzie

Born 8 July 1881 : the younger son of Alexander George McKenzie, J.P., of 16 The Oaks, Sunderland and Isabella Anne his wife of Harrogate.

Educated at Rugby School from 1895 to 1899.

He served in 1902, during the latter part of the South African War, as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Imperial Yeomanry.

Gazetted to the 1st Bn, The South Lancashire Regiment in 1903

Exchaged to the 123rd Outram's Rifles in 1905 and promoted to Captain in 1912

Studied Eastern Languages and passed several examinations, including Chinese and Kachin and the Preliminary Russian Interpreter's examination.

Was about to proceed to Russia when the Great War began, being then at home on leave.

He rejoined his regiment in Assam and was made Adjutant.

Brought a draft to France in July 1915 and was attached to the 58th Vaughan' Rifles in the British Expeditionary Force.

Reported missing on 25 September 1915 during the Battle of Loos and was last seen holding a captured enemy trench, which was being heavy bombed, in company with a few Sepoys. In February 1916 he was reported in a German list as having died during that bombardment.

The General Officer Commanding his division said: "I wish every Regiment in my Command had as good an Adjutant."

He married in 1906, Nancy, the daughter of E. Banfield Cole Green and they had one daughter.

Sources" Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume III; Rugby War Register; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921.

His photo from the first source above is shown below:

Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1075004076.jpg

If you have the applicable information for Oundle School I would appreciate a look-up for JOHN WILLOUGHBY DIXIE SMITH (sometimes hypenated). His application for commission was signed by the Headmaster of that august establishment, so I am hoping he went there. Lt. 8th Bn. Leicestershire Regiment. Mentioned in Despatches.

I note that you have info on Oxford University. If you have similar for Cambridge I would appreciate any details for VAUGHAN PALMER DAVIES.

S. Staffs/Leics/ M.G.C. Finished up as a Major in Middle East.

Thanks very much.

Dave

Dick

Would be obliged if you could look up the following:

Lt. Edward Watkin COLVER, R.E. who attended Wellington College, Shropshire.

Captain Henry COLVER, 1/5th York & Lancs, (brother of above) who attended Leighton Park School.

Lt. Norman SALES, 2nd KOYLI and later RAF, who attended Uppingham School.

Thanks

Mark

Would be obliged if you could look up the following:

Lt. Edward Watkin COLVER, R.E. who attended Wellington College, Shropshire.

Captain Henry COLVER, 1/5th York & Lancs, (brother of above) who attended Leighton Park School.

Lt. Norman SALES, 2nd KOYLI and later RAF, who attended Uppingham School.

I have registers for Wellington College, Somerset and can not find Henry Colver in it. I do not have a register for Wellington College, Shropshire or Leighton Park School.

Lt. Norman Sales

Born 10 Sep 1895 the son of Major Walter Sales RFA TF. Ivy House, Barnby Moor, Retford and Gladstone Road, Ranmoor, Sheffield and his wife, Charlotte Ellen, daughter of George Turton,.

Educated at Uppingham School from Jan 1910 to Aug 1912.

2nd Lieut., 3 Bn, KOYLI in Sep 1914 and attached to the 2nd Bn.

Served in France and Flanders from 14 March 1915

Wounded 20 Dec 1915 and invalided to UK

On recovery appointed Instructor in Machine Gunnery at Granthan

Transferred to RFC and obtained Pilot's Certificate on 5 Oct 1916

Returned to France in Dec 1916; contracted fever and invalided to England.

On recovery appointed Instructor of Aerial Fighting at Turnberry, Ayr

Posted to 87 Sqdn in March 1918

Returned to France and mortally wounded in aerial action on 30 June 1918 and died of his wounds at Wavans, near Auxi-le-Chateau the same day.

His brother, Walter Turton Sales served as a Lieut. in the KOYLI and Australian E F.

His photo is attached below.

Sources: Uppingham School Rolls, 1824 to 1931; 1888-1960; DeRuvigny, Roll of Honour, Vol 2, Part IV.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1075358268.jpg

If you have the applicable information for Oundle School I would appreciate a look-up for JOHN WILLOUGHBY DIXIE SMITH

John Willoughby Dixie Smith

Student at Oundle School from 1897-1898.

Lieut., Leicestershire Regiment

Mentioned in Despatches.

Source: Oundle Memorials of the Great War

If you have similar for Cambridge I would appreciate any details for VAUGHAN PALMER DAVIES.

Captain Vaughn Palmer Davies, MGC

Wounded

Sources: War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1919.

Not much I am afraid. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thanks for looking. The information on Norman Sales is excellent and fills in some big gaps.

Thanks again

Mark

Dick,

My Grandfather attended Wellington College Somerset.

Albert Edward Leader was of Somerset Yeomanry then went onto Army Ordanace Corps. I have very little info regarding where he served but be grateful if you have anything on record for him.

Regards

Arm.

lbert Edward Leader was of Somerset Yeomanry then went onto Army Ordanace Corps. I have very little info regarding where he served but be grateful if you have anything on record for him.

Sgt. Albert Edward Leader

Matriculated at Wellington School, Somerset in April 1909

Served as Armourer Sergt., attached to the Royal Welch Fusiliers, BEF, France

Source: Wellington School, Somerset, Magazine, July 1920.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks for that Dick..

Arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

When you get a moment I'd be extremely grateful if you would see if you have anything on Lieut. Basil Charles Wright of the 2nd Bn, Royal Sussex Regt. Educated at Hurstleigh, Tunbridge Wells 1907-11 and then Marlborough College 1911-15 before going on to the RMC. Killed in action on 24 Sep 1918.

Many thanks

Gary

Lieut. Basil Charles Wright, R Sussex Regiment

Born 22 Sep 97; son of C B Wright of Hookstead, High Halden, Kent

Entered Marlborough College in Sept 1911 and left at Easter 1915

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, 2 Bn, R Sussex Regiment in 1915

Promoted to Lieut. in 1917

MC 1916

Bar 1918

KIA 24 Sep 18

Sources: Marlborough College Register, 1843 to 1933, and 1843-1952.

Regards. Dick Flory

Many thanks for your lightning fast reply, Dick. I had my fingers firmly crossed for one of those fabulous photos you regularly unearth from your collection but 'twould appear I'll have to look elsewhere, a local paper perhaps.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Gary

Gary: Unfortunately I have little control over whether or not a photo is available. Marlborough College does not have a Memorial Volume with photos and the "Marlburian" (the school magazine) has minimal information on casualties. I know how you feel, Lt Col. Paine who is mentioned in my signature block and whose medals are illustrated in my avatar, also was educated at Marlborough College and I still haven't managed to find a photo of him. Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

Is it possible to look up :-

Lt James Albert Eadie kia 27/05/1918. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders attached to 21st Btn MGC.

Arts Student at Glasgow University

2nd Lt Frank Lewis kia 31/07/1917. 7th Coy MGC.

Dental Student at Manchester University

Lt Laurence Whitley kia 31/07/1917. 196 Coy MGC

Durham University " University College" BA Arts 1904, MA (Mathematics & Classics) 1910. Vice Principal of Whitley's College, Sheffield

I would be most grateful for any information at all on these chaps

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Dick, I am looking for information on Lt Col Thomas Ridgway DSO MC & Bar who went to Shrewsbury School. I believe he left the school in the late 1890s.

Many thanks.

Mark

I am looking for information on Lt Col Thomas Ridgway DSO MC & Bar who went to Shrewsbury School. I believe he left the school in the late 1890s.

Ridgway, Thomas Born 1881; entered Shrewsbury School in 1895 and left in 1899. Solicitor (admitted Oct, 1904) and Coroner, Warrington. 2nd Lieut., 3rf VB, Cheshire Rgt, 1900; 2nd Lieut., 4th (TF) Bn, PW Volunteers (S Lancs Regt), 1914. Capt, 1916; Adjutant, Jun, 1917; Major, Apr 1918; Lieut. Col, Apr 1918. Served in S African War, 1900-02 with Volunteer Service Co, Cheshire Regt. (Queen's Medal with 2 clasps; In the Great War in France and Belgium; joined Aug 14 (Despatches twice, DSO, MC and Bar.

Sources: Shrewsbury School Register, 1798-1908; Shrewsbury School Roll of Service, 1914-1918; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks, 1914-1918.

A very nice group. Regards. Dick Flory

Is it possible to look up :-

Lt James Albert Eadie kia 27/05/1918. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders attached to 21st Btn MGC.

Arts Student at Glasgow University. 2nd Lt Frank Lewis kia 31/07/1917. 7th Coy MGC. Dental Student at Manchester University. Lt Laurence Whitley kia 31/07/1917. 196 Coy MGC

Durham University " University College" BA Arts 1904, MA (Mathematics & Classics) 1910. Vice Principal of Whitley's College, Sheffield

Steve: Sorry to be so late answering you but this one got by me and I just noticed it again. I am afraid that the Glasgow and Manchester University Rolls do not give a lot of information and I do not own any rolls or registers from Durham University.

Lt James Albert Eadie

Student at Glasgow University from 1913-15; member of the OTC. Served as Lieut., A & S Hldrs, attd. MGC.

Source: Glasgow University Roll of Honour, 1914-19.

[/b]2nd Lt. Frank Lewis

Son of N J Lewis formerly of Blackburn and Blackpool. Born 1895. Hutton Dental School MU, 1915; OTC, July 16 to Dec 16; MGC, 2nd Lieut. , Killed in action in France.

Source: Manchester University Roll of Service.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Do you have anything on Haileybury?

One of my Old Boys at Thetford Grammar School moved on to Haileybury in July 1900. He was George Michael Hoste, born 1/10/86.

As always grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks.

Regards,

David