Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

From Eton School Register Part VIII 1909-1919:

Hay, Charles Edward Erroll

Only son of C E Hay, Somerby House, Oakham

At Eton from 1906 to 1912 (Stroke of Eton VIII, 1912)

RM College, Sandhurst

Joined 17th Lancers in 1913

Lieutenant 1916-1918

Served in France

Killed in action at Caix on 9 August 1918

There is no obituary for him in the Eton School Chronicle.

The image below is from a photo of the 1912 Eton VIII in Fifty Years of Sport: Eton, Harrow and Winchester.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hay, C E E.jpeg

Hi Dick

I'm hoping you have the Shrewsbury School roll as I'm looking for Richard James Paget who I reckon arrived there in about September 1897. I then have him at Christ Church Oxford from 1903 and at UCL studying medicine at some point after that. He served with the 8th Canadian Infantry and survived the war.

Thanks as always

John

• 3 weeks later...

John (Hambo) wrote:  "I'm hoping you have the Shrewsbury School roll as I'm looking for Richard James Paget who I reckon arrived there in about September 1897. I then have him at Christ Church Oxford from 1903 "

John:  Sorry for the delay, I evidently missed your message on the 11th.  Here is what I have on Richard James Paget:

Captain Richard James Paget, Manitoba Regiment

Born at Bromsgrove, Worcestershire on 7 March 1884, son of the Rt Rev Francis Paget and Helen Beatrice Paget (nee Church)

Educated at Shrewsbury School from 1897 to 1902 and at St. Bartholomew's Hospital

Student at Christ Church, Oxford from 1903-04

Emigrated to Canada

Commissioned Lieutenant, 90th Regiment (Winnipeg Rifles), CEF on 8 Aug 1914

Captain, 90th Regiment, 11 November 1915

Married Jean Ross Holden on 29 December 1915 (divorced in 1923)

In 1916 was a Captain, Manitoba Regiment, CEF

Also ADC to GOC, 3rd Canadian Division

Once wounded

Died on 6 January 1959

Sources:

Shrewsbury School Roll of Servic 1914-1918

Shrewsbury School Register, Vol. I, 1798-1908

Oxford University Roll of Service

The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada (various issues)

Hi Dick,

Would you be able to look up Robert W W Vaughan in the Rossall School Register for me when you have a moment? He was attending the school in 1901.

Kind Regards,

James

Banstead100 wrote: Would you be able to look up Robert W W Vaughan in the Rossall School Register for me when you have a moment?

Lieut. Robert William Walter Vaughan, RAMC

Born on 13 Feb 1885; the son of Rev. Thomas Walter Vaughan, Vicar of Rhuddlan and Rural Dean of St Asaph, and his wife Annie Vaughan

Educated at Rossall School from Second Term 1898 to Second Term 1902 and at Liverpool University

Studied at University College London Medical School from 1904 to 1907  (MB, BS 1910; awarded Gold Medal for Pharmacology and Materia Medica in 1906)

Member, Royal College of Surgeons, England, 1908; LRCP, London, 1908

After graduation he was House Surgeon at Cardiff Infirmary

Then was Assistant Medical Officer of the Banstead Asylum, Sutton until the outbreak of the war

Then commissioned Lieut, RAMC

First served with the Urgency Hospital near Verdun for six months

Then worked as surgeon in Macedonia and Serbia for 11 months

On his return from Serbia he enlisted as a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery

Recommended for a commission

Wounded on 22 May 1917 and died on 23 May 1917 after serving in France for six weeks

Buried in Duisans British Cemetery

His photo is from the second-named source.

Sources:

Rossall School Register 1844-1923

Record of Those Members of University College London and Medical School Who Were Killed or Who Died on Service 1914-1919, Volume II: Lister to Wynne

Vaughan.jpg

Dick,

Could you please check when Frank Mercer Bentley was at Rossall? Born in 1881, he was a pupil at both Bury Grammar School and Rossall ( the schools were at one time closely connected). He won the MC at Passchendaele in October 1917 and was killed a year later. 

Thanks.

Edited by Mark Hone

Mark Hone wrote: "Could you please check when Frank Mercer Bentley was at Rossall?" 

Captain Frank Mercer Bentley, MC

Born in 1899, the son of A F Bentley of Thorn Hill, Bury

Educated at Rossall School from First Term, 1895 to Easter 1899 (played football)

Before the war he was a newspaper proprietor

MC, 1917

Killed in action on 13 October 1918

Sources:

The Rossall School Register 1844-1925

Dick

Many thanks for Paget, much appreciated

All the very best John 

Dick, many thanks for Dr Vaughan's entries.

Kind Regards,

James

Hi Dick. I'm currently researching Captain Sydney Henry LANE of 38th Heavy Battery, RGA who was KiA 5/4/18. He attended Birmingham and London Universities but I don't have the dates. He was born in 1892. TIA

Uni.jpg

Diane. Those may have been pre-university exams rather than actually indicating he attended the universities as such.  University of London war list can be found online http://www.senatehouselibrary.ac.uk/our-collections/special-collections/archives-manuscripts/university-of-london-military-service-1914-1945

Diane:  He actually matriculated at King Edward's School Birmingham

Major Sydney Henry Lane, RGA

Educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham from 1909 to 1911 (Mr. Measure's House)

In 1914 Enlisted as Pte, 14th Bn, R. Warwick Regt. and eventually reached Lance Corporal

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, RGA in 1915 

Posted to France with 58th Siege Battery, RGA

In 1916 he was Acting Captain with 38th Heavy Battery, RGA

In July 1917 he was appointed in command of 290th Siege Battery, RGA

Five times Mentioned in Despatches

Killed in action on 5 April 1918

Sources:

Service Record of King Edward's School Birmingham 1914-1919

War Diary of 38th Heavy Battery, RGA

Edited by rflory

Dick

I wonder if you can help please?  I am looking at Alfred Benjamin Street born 17 Feb 1887 in Bombay.  In 1901 he is in the census at Wellington college.  I am trying to confirm two things, was he Captain Alfred Benjamin Street of the Royal Garrison Artillery and if so when he went to Egypt in Jan 1916 was he the 2Lt Street with 48 Siege battery?

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter:  The Lt A B Street in 48th Siege Battery, RGA and the Alfred Benjamin Street in the Wellington College Register appear to be the same person based on the following evidence:

1.  The Wellington College Register indicates that Alfred Benjamin Street served with the RGA and A B Street served with 48th Siege Battery.

2.   The Embarkation Rolls at TNA indicate that Lt A B Street embarked for Egypt on 5 January 1916.  The Medal Index Card for Alfred Benjamin Street indicates he went to Egypt in January 1916.

3. There is only one A B Street in the November 1918 Monthly Army List and WO 338 (Index to officers' service papers) indicates that there are service papers for only one "A B Street."

I would mention that the November 1918 Monthly Army List indicates that Capt. A B Street, RA was serving as a Staff Lieut. 1st Class at that time.  He was twice mentioned in despatches.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks very much for your help.  Can I ask which Embarkation Roll you refer to?  I have the embarkation list for HMT Olympic when 48 SB sailed to the Med on 3 Jan 1916 but Street is not named among the other officers.  I had guessed a Staff role for AB Street as according to the war diary he left the Battery on 1st June 1916 and was attached to Staff GOC III Corps HA.

Peter

Peter:  The embarkation roll for 3 January 1916 (WO 25) shows the embarkation of the officers of 48th Siege Battery, RGA for Egypt on HMT Olympic listing the following RA officers: Major M A Beattie, Cpt W J Hart, Lt B G White, 2Lt G Harvey and 2Lt B G Lane. 

The embarkation roll for 5 January 1916 shows that HMT Hunsgate sailed from Avonmouth for Malta and Egypt with the following on board:

1. 30 Other Ranks of ASC Transport for Malta

2. 2Lt A B Street, 48th Siege Battery, RGA with 15 Other Ranks of the Battery

3. 2Lt A E B Meade-King, ASC

Regards, Dick

Hello Dick

I would be most grateful if you could kindly look up the Register for Shrewsbury School for Vivian Seaton Gray. He was born in 1892, so would have been at Shrewsbury School approximately 1900-1910. Many Thanks

Regards

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

bigronhartley wrote: "I would be most grateful if you could kindly look up the Register for Shrewsbury School for Vivian Seaton Gray."

Vivian Seaton Gray

Born in 1892

Educated at Shrewsbury from Michaelmas Term 1906 to 1910

Temp. Capt. RASC (MT) 1916

Temp Major, RASC, 1918

Despatches twice

Source: Shrewsbury School Register, Vol. 1, 1798-1908

Hello Dick

Thanks very much for the details regarding Vivian Seaton Gray, your help is much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Dick,

Might I please trouble you for a couple of look-ups of the following.  Any information would be welcome, and pictures in particular.

HOLME, Bertram Lester.  Born 1888, attended Marlborough College Jan. 1902 - July 1906;  then Queen's College Cambridge (degree 1909).  Became assistant master at the College (or Collegiate) School, Liverpool.  Later Royal Welsh Fusiliers, died of wounds Mesopotamia April 1916.

SCHWABE, Maurice Salis (sometimes Salis-Schwabe).   Born 1871, attended Cheltenham College Jan. 1884 - July 1885; Marlborough College April 1886 - April 1889.  Changed name to Maurice Shaw 1911, Lieut. 12th HLI died of wounds France about 30 Sept. 1915.  

Thank you

Clive

clive_hughes wrote: "Might I please trouble you for a couple of look-ups of the following.  . . . HOLME, Bertram Lester.  Born 1888, attended Marlborough College Jan. 1902 - July 1906;  then Queen's College Cambridge (degree 1909).  SCHWABE, Maurice Salis (sometimes Salis-Schwabe).   . . . , attended Cheltenham College Jan. 1884 - July 1885; Marlborough College April 1886 - April 1889.  Changed name to Maurice Shaw 1911, Lieut. 12th HLI died of wounds France about 30 Sept. 1915."

Lieut. Bertram Leslie Holme

Born 22 Aug 1888, the son of G C Holme, Heimath, Aughton, near Ormskirk, Liverpool.

Educates at Marlborough College from Jan 1902 to 1906. and at Queen's College, Cambridge (MA), 1906

Then Asst. Master, College School, Liverpool

Served with 12th Bn, R Welch Fusiliers, 1914

Lieutenant, 1915, Staff Captain

Died of wounds on 20 April 1918 (from wounds received on 10 April 1918)

There is a photo of Holme at: http://archive.marlboroughcollege.org/Filename.ashx?systemFileName=%2fDOCS%2fHolme_BL.pdf&origFilename=

Sources:

Marlborough College Register from 1843 - 1933.

The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

Lieut. Maurice Salis Schwabe (later Shaw)

Born on 14 Oct 1871, the son of Col. George Salis Schwabe, MP, of London

Educated at Cheltenham College from Jan 1884 to Jul 1885 and at Marlborough College from 1886 to 1889

Lieut. 12th Bn, HLI and Staff Intelligence Officer

Mortally wounded at Loos and died at Le Tréport on 29 Sept 1915

I am unable to locate a photo of Schwabe (the online Marlborough Roll of Honour does not have one)

Sources:

Marlborough College Register from 1843 - 1933.

Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927