Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

mogodonman: Thank you for your reply. I would very much appreciate receiving a copy of the list of those who served/died at Cranleigh School that you offered if you would be so kind to send it as a PM. I would be happy to give you any information I might have on any of the Royal Artillery officers on the list.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 1 month later...

Hi Dick,

Could you possibly look up Captain Alexander Ralph ABERCROMBIE, MC, DSO for me? He attended Haileybury School and Sandhurst and served with the 1st Queen's. He died on 31/12/1918.

Many thanks,

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Dick,

Can I ask please is there any sign in the Harrow School record of the WW1 career of Jocelyn Herle EVANS, born 1880 and educated there (later added de Grasse to his surname, post-1920)? He went on to (?Pembroke Coll.) Cambridge, whose Alumni volume apparently records him as a Lieutenant RWF wounded 3 times - but this seems to be unsupported by other regimental sources, MICs etc. and he had a US draft card dated 1918!

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Andy wrote: "Could you possibly look up Captain Alexander Ralph ABERCROMBIE, MC, DSO for me? He attended Haileybury School and Sandhurst and served with the 1st Queen's. He died on 31/12/1918."

From the Haileybury Register 1931:

ABERCROMBIE, Alexander Ralph.

Born on 14 Oct 1896, youngest son of Lt. Col. A.W. Abrecrombie

Educated at Haileybury from 1910 to 1913

Cadet, RMC, Sandhurst (Prize Cadet)

Capt. Royal West Surrey Regt,

DSO, MC, 3 MiD

DOW 31 Dec 18

Clive wrote: "Can I ask please is there any sign in the Harrow School record of the WW1 career of Jocelyn Herle EVANS, born 1880 and educated there (later added de Grasse to his surname, post-1920)? He went on to (?Pembroke Coll.) Cambridge, whose Alumni volume apparently records him as a Lieutenant RWF wounded 3 times"

From the Harrow School Register (1885-1949):

Evans, Jocelyn Herle (The Head Master's), son of Sir F H Evans, KCMG (1st Bart.), Left 1898, Trinity College, Cambridge. In business in New York. Assumed the additional family surname of de Grasse. Died in New York, Aug. 15th 1931.

From The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919;

Evans, J H, Lieut. R. Welsh Fus. (W 3). 1899

The November 1918 Monthly Army List shows a 2nd Lieut. J. H. Evans in the 17th Bn, RWF with a date of rank of 31 Oct 17

• 1 month later...

Hi Dick,

Could I trouble you for another lookup? Second Lieutenant David Edward Hall MILLARD, who attended Monkton Combe school. I am not sure if he went on to university but he joined the Royal Fusiliers - 19th (Service) Battalion (2nd Public Schools) - before being commissioned into The Queen's.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy: From the Monkton Combe School Register 1868-1964:

2nd Lieut. David Edward Hall Millard

Born in 1892

Educated at Winter Term from 1906 to April 1910 (Gym IV 1908-09, Capt; 1st XV)

Employed Australian Bank, London from 1910

During Great War enlisted as Pte, The Queens Regt in 1915; 2nd Lieut, The Queens Regt., 1916

Served on the Western Front from 1915 to 1917

Killed in action in 1917

Many thanks for the quick response!

Andy

Charlie: From the Eastbourne College Roll of War Service:

Walker, H. S.,

Lt. Surrey Yeomanry

Capt. and Adj., E. Surrey Regt.

Once wounded

Mentioned in Despatches

M.C. "During a hostile counter-attack he acted with great courage and devotion, collecting and bringing up Battalion Headquarters under heavy shell fire, issuing them with bombs and ammunition, and leading them into the firing line. He then rendered invaluable service in reorganizing the line and in giving fire orders after the advance and arranging for the consolidation of the line."

Bar to MC "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. With two companies he organized a line covering the approaches to the village, thus enabling his Battalion to hold its position during repeated enemy attacks. He set a fine example of cheerfulness and devotion to duty."

Regards, Dick Flory

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Dick

Don't know if you have this but Loftus Arkwright (born 1895) arrived at Charterhouse in 1909. I have the register which gets me to that point but not the one which tells me what happened next. Pretty unusual name and I am trying to find out if its the same man who later served as a Lt in the RFA during the war.

Hope all is well with you

John

John: Yes, he is the same Loftus Arkwright

Loftus Arkwright, RFA

Born on 20 June 1895, the son of Loftus Wigram Arkwright

At Charterhouse from Long Quarter 1909 to Oration Quarter 1913

In early 1915 he was serving as 2nd Lieut. 20th Brigade,Ammunition Column, RFA

On 22 May 1915 he was posted to 67th Battery, RFA

Posted to 128th Battery, 20th Brigade, RFA on 20 Jul 15

In late 1915 he was posted to 364th Battery, 20th Brigade, RFA

Lieutenant, RFA

Once wounded in action

Sources:

Charterhouse in London

Charterhouse Register 1872-1931, Vol. I (1872-1910)

War Diary of 67th Battery, RFA

War Diary of 20th Brigade, RFA

Dear Dick

Many thanks indeed. I had pulled his file at TNA last weekend but it was pretty skinny and didn't make the connection from his early life as there was no application in there. Didn't even name the Brigades he was with but did say that he ended up in the AA. What I did find is below for your records.

Thanks for making the connection. Although his name is very unusual I never like to count on it being the right man unless I'm certain so thanks again

All the very best John

Loftus Arkwright was born at Parndon in Essex on the 20th of June 1895 the eldest son of Loftus Joseph Wigram Arkwright, a gentleman, and Julia Smith (nee Caldwell) Arkwright of Parndon Hall, Harlow in Essex.

He left Hazelwood School, Limpsfield in the summer of 1904 at the age of 9 for a preparatory school feeding Charterhouse School and arrived at Charterhouse in the spring of 1909.

He attended the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich before being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery on the 10th of February 1915 and joined the 1st Reserve Brigade, Royal Artillery at Newcastle on the 12th of February. He embarked for overseas service on the 29th of March 1915. He was taken ill and was evacuated from France and landed at Southampton on the 19th of February 1916.On his return he was posted to the 1st Reserve Brigade, Royal Artillery at Forest Row on the 27th of October 1916 and returned to France on the 26th of February 1917. He was wounded and was evacuated, landing at Dover on the 23rd of June 1917. On his recovery he was posted to 395 Battery, Royal Field Artillery at Woodbridge on the 3rd of August 1917. He was posted to the Anti Aircraft Depot at Parkhurst on the 27th of March 1918 and transferred to the Anti Aircraft Reserve Battalion from where he embarked for France once again on the 2nd of October 1918 and joined an Anti Aircraft Battery in the field on the 5th of October. He was serving with the Thames and Medway Ant Aircraft defences in late 1919 before resigning his commission on the 3rd of December 1919.

Loftus Arkwright as a senior at RMA Woolwich in February 1915:

post-765-0-76079800-1459705068_thumb.jpg

A bit of a long shot but I am trying to find any evidence about the school career of William Houghton, who was killed in Mesopotamia in April 1916, aged 29. He appears only to have attended Bury Grammar School for a year, from 1900-01. The school register indicates that he went to Hulme Grammar School but I cannot find any evidence of him at Oldham Hulme Grammar School or William Hulme Grammar School, Manchester.

This is the link to his entry on our Centenary Roll of Honour:

http://www.bgsarchive.co.uk/Filename.ashx?systemFileName=BGBSROH000020.pdf&origFilename=BGBSROH000020.pdf

Mark: I wish I could help you but most of the Grammar Schools published very little in terms of school registers or rolls of honours that it is very difficult to find out much about their old boys unless you have a much better collection of school magazines than I have.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Dick. Do you happen to have anything related to St John's College, Battersea- I am interested in anything regards Robert Charles Perry MC who did his teacher training there. Regards. Paul. (I have a thread in soldiers and one in look ups regard this man at the moment.)

Thanks, Dick. I think that more Grammar Schools are beginning to digitise their records, like we are doing, but it's very patchy at the moment.

Wardog: Have registers for St. John's College, Oxford; St. John's College, Hurstpierpoint; and St. John's School, Leatherhead, but unfortunately nothing on St. Johns College, Battersea.

Hello Dick. Do you happen to have anything related to St John's College, Battersea- I am interested in anything regards Robert Charles Perry MC who did his teacher training there. Regards. Paul. (I have a thread in soldiers and one in look ups regard this man at the moment.)

It may be worth checking what Wandsworth Archvies hold, Battersea is in the modern borough, though it was a borough in its own right at the time of the war. They are doing a weekly blog on the war http://ww1wandsworth.wordpress.com - I can't remember if St John's has featured at all yet.