Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dick

Back again, this time with Leonard Davies Looker who was at Westminster School according to his file at TNA. Born 1888 so should be arriving at the school around 1900. it appears he went on the University of London

If he has an entry I would very much like to see what it says

Many thanks John

• 2 weeks later...

Rev. Cecil Herbert Schooling, MA,CFBorn in 1897, he third and youngest son of Frederick Schooling of Holly Dene, Bromley, KentEducated at Tonbridge School from September 1897 to December 1901 (member of Cadet Corps)In Germany from 1901 to 1903Attended Pembroke College, Cambridge from 1903 to 1906 (BA, 1906, MA, 1910)From 1906 to 1907 he was a student at Well Theological CollegeOrdained as Deacon in 1907 and a a Priest in 1908From 1908 to 1910 he was curate of the Cathedral Church, WakefieldCurate at Croydon Parish Church from 1910 to 1916Temp. Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class on 5 December 1916Served in France from 6 December 1916 to 21 June 1917 with 122nd Infantry Brigade (Cross of Sacrifice indicates 211th Infantry Brigade)Took part in the Battle of Messines, 7 to 14 June 1917Severely wounded by a shell at Dickebusch on 20 June 1917 and died at Poperinghe the next dayMentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette of 7 December 1917 The photo of him below is from the first named source.Sources: Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914 to 1919; The Register of Tonbridge School from 1847 to 1926.

Interestingly i came across his grave at Lijssenthoek early last month, his brother was killed at Gheluvelt and is remembered on the Menin Gate and on Cecils headstone

Hambo wrote: "Back again, this time with Leonard Davies Looker who was at Westminster School"

Looker, Lieutenant Leonard Dennis

Born 16 September 1888, the son of William Looker of Westminster and Katherine, daughter of John Price Davies of Knighton.

Educated at Westminster School from 27 September 1900 to December 1906

Became a member of Lloyd's in 1911

On 21 September 1916 he married Molly, elder daughter of Richard John Davies, of Poynder's Road Clapham Park

2nd Lieut. 5th Batt., Royal West Surrey Regt., 19 December 1916

Went to France and Flanders in January 1917

Killed in action at Klein Zillebeke, near Ypres on 1 August 1917

Source: The Record of Old Westminsters, Volume III, 1964.

Dick

Many thanks indeed--once again

Best regards John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dick

Still coming across the odd school query but I'm not sure if you have this one....Felsted. If so could you see what the entry says for Cecil William Chandler should arrive at the school about 1900.

Also William Edward Hawkins should arrive about 1904

and finally I have this man at Fested Preparatory School which hopefully leads to the senior school. He was born circa 1889 and the name is Ernest Stanley Chetwood

Of course if you don't have this one it'll be a much quieter weekend for both of us!

Thanks as always

John

At risk of being struck down by a thunderbolt, here is the info:

Chandler, Charles William. Jan.1903 - Apr.1905. Member of Lloyd's and Director of Montreal & London Developement Agency Ltd. 1914-18, Capt. 8th Bn R.Mun.Fus. M.C.

Killed in Action in France March 30, 1918.

Hawkins, William Edward. Sept.1906-Apr.1909. 1914-18, 16th Bn London Regt. Killed in Action Feb.1917.

Robert

John: In addition to what Robert wrote:

Chetwood, Ernest Stanley: Sept 1900 - June 1907. Prefect; Hockey XI 1907, Captain, Running, VIII. 2nd Lieut., Artist Rifles, 17 Oct 1914; Capt. Artists Rifles. KIA Oct 30, 1917 in the attack of Passchendaele. Mentioned in despatches by Haig.

There is a photo of him in With a Poppy and a Prayer (photo #47 after page 170).

Sources: Alumni Felstediences 1852-1921; The Regimental Roll of Honour and War Record of the Artists' Rifles; With a Poppy and a Prayer, by Keith Perry.

Robert, on this forum its known as sticking your head above the parapet!!

Thanks to you both, it fills in the gaps very nicely. I have a good photo of all three through the Lloyd's memorial roll. Dick, if you don't have a copy (highly unlikely I know) there's a few artillery men in there so let me know if you'd like their photos and I'll send them over

Thanks again John

Hi Dick

I wonder if you have anything for Robert Bradford Flint, who was born 1891(KIA 1915) and was at Cheltenham and for William Guy Cronk (KIA 1914) who was at Eton?

Grateful for any help

Thanks

Matt

John: Thanks for the offer but I do own the book. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick

Thought you might!

Sorry about yet another enquiry but I was at TNA yesterday and found another being Howard Raymond Gillett. His RAF record says he was in the Malvern College OTC from 1914 to 1916.WOuld you mind looking his entry up?

Thanks yet again John

MattB wrote: 'I wonder if you have anything for Robert Bradford Flint, who was born 1891(KIA 1915) and was at Cheltenham and for William Guy Cronk (KIA 1914) who was at Eton?'

Lieut. Robert Bradford Flint, RE

Bprn pm 30 August 1891, the son of Commander James George Henry Flint, RNR of 21 Belessington Road, Blackheath.

Educated at Lindisarne, Blackheath and at Cheltenham College from Sept 1905 to Dec 1909 (Scholar, 1906)

Gentleman Cadet, RMA Woolwich, 1909-1910

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., RE, July 1911

At School of Military Engineering, Chatham, 1911 (member of the School 1st XV)

Lieut., RE, August 1913

Went to France in August 1914 with 59th Company, RE in the 5th Division

Distinguished Service Order (London Gazette of 9 December 1914): 'At Missy, on 14 September, under a heavy shell fire, Lieutenant Flint, assisted by Captain W H Johnston, in working all day until 7 pm with their own hands, two rafts bringing back wounded and returning with ammunition, thus enabling the advanced brigade to maintain its position on the other side of the river.'

Chevalier, Legion of Honor (France) 'for gallantry in the field between the 21st and 30th August 1914.'

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette, 14 January 1915

Died at Wolverghem, Belgium, 23 January 1915 of wounds received while working in a trench, and buried in the churchyard at Dranoutre.

The photo is from the second-named source.

Sources: Cheltenham College Register 1841-1922; Bond of Sacrifice, volume 2.

post-765-0-00272200-1402255732_thumb.jpg

2nd Lieut. William Guy Cronk, E Kent Regt.

Born on 28 April 1893, the only son of William Henry Cronk and Winifred Ruth Cronk of Suffolk Place, Sevenoaks, Kent and Longthong House, Clopton, Thrapston, Northants

At Eton School from 1906 to 1910

Gentleman Cadet, RMA Woolwich

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, The Buffs, 14 March 1914

2nd Lieut., 3rd Reserve Bn, East Kent Regt., attd. King's Royal Rifle Corps

Killed in action about two and a half miles SE of Zonnebeke, 24 October 1914, by a machine gun at close range while leading his platoon to take a German trench.

The photo is from the second-name source.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Bond of Sacrifice, Volume I.

post-765-0-59460900-1402255915_thumb.jpg

Hambro wrote: 'Sorry about yet another enquiry but I was at TNA yesterday and found another being Howard Raymond Gillett.'

Not much in the Malvern College Register 1865-1925:

Gillett, Howard Raymond

Born 1889, the son of R. Gillett, 101 Broadhurst Gardens, Hampstead

Educated at Malvern from 1914-1916

In business prior to the war

Served as Flight Sub Lieutenant, RN

Accidentally killed on 6 April 1918

Guest astonevilla

Dick

If you have a copy of the "University College School Roll of Honour and War List 1914-18," I would be very grateful if you could let me know the entries for the following two brothers:-

2nd Lieutenant Owen Whitaker,

Royal Garrison Artillery. (MC - KiA 29Aug15)

and

Captain Victor John Whitaker

Lincolnshire Regiment attached 2nd Sqn RFC

(KiA 6Apr17)

I look forward to your response

Sepoy

Sepoy

do you have a particular interest in these two as they are known to me through family history research into my wife's family?

astonevilla

Many thanks Dick for those.

Can I bother you again? I've just come across Wilfred Dennes who was at Dulwich College and Edouard Herbert Allan Goss who was at Clifton College, Bristol, though I'm not sure if anything exists for the latter.

Very grateful for all of your help.

Matt

Major Wilfrid Dennes, RFA

Born on 9 Feb 90, the son of E T M Dennes

Educated at Oxford House School, Brighton from 1899-1902; and at Dulwich College from 18 Sept 02 to July 06;

After leaving school went into farming

Studied law at Christ's College, Cambridge from 1908 to 1912 (3rd Cl, Law Trip; BA, LLB, 1912)(2nd team varsity lacrosse)

Articled to his father's solicitor's firm at 22 Chancery Lane, WC

Passed Law Society Final Exam in Oct 1914

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., RFA in Oct 1914

Served in France from July 1915 to December 1917 with C Battery, 82nd Brigade, RFA and 82nd Brigade Ammunition Column.

Promoted Lieutenant, Jan 1916

Awarded Military Cross in London Gazette of 4 June 17 for 'excellent work at Arras'

Acting Captain, Feb 1918

In January 1918 he took a short course in England

Returned to France and Flanders in February 1918

Served on the Somme in command of A Battery, 82nd Brigade, RFA

Acting Major, 1918

Awarded Bar to the MC in London Gazette of 18 Jan 18 (citation, 25 Apr 18) ' For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty [at Steenbeck on 30-31 Oct 17]. When a gun pit received a direct hit and the ammunition was set on fire, he succeeded in clearing all the men away, going finally to the signallers' dug-out, where the fire was hottest, before leaving. On another occasion he carried a badly wounded man more than 2,000 yards, through mud and water, often above his knees, and remained with him under heavy shelling until stretcher-bearers arrived. He maintained his own and another battery in action when the latter had lost all its officers.'

Author (with A J Lamb) of Echoes from Shirley

Killed in action on the Somme on 21 March 18

From the fourth-listed source: On 21 March 1918 'A Battery of 82nd Brigade was in action 1000 yards west of Fort Vendeuil under the command of Captain W. Dennes. The mist was very, very thick in the Oise Valley that morning. It was impossible to know what was going on. By noon, the mist suddenly cleared to reveal German infantry advancing 300 yards from the muzzles. The 18-pounders smote them cruelly, inflicting such casualties that every effort to rush the guns was crushed. Quick accurate gun drill took its toll and for nearly four hours the battery held its ground. Then snipers working forward began to pick off the detachments. Captain Dennes sent a runner for orders, refusing to retire when he was hit."

Sources: Dulwich College Register 1619-1926; Dulwich College War Record 1914-1919; Record of Solicitors and Articled Clerks with His Majesty's Forces 1914-1919; History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914-18; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; War Diary of 82nd Brigade, RFA .

post-765-0-25246300-1403111017_thumb.jpg

Lieut. Edouard Herbert Allan Goss, The Buffs

The son of L A Goss, Education Dept., Rangoon, Straits Settlements

Educated at Clifton College from May 1889 to Dec 1895 (XXII; Gym VIII)

Served in Great War as Lieut, 7th Battalion, The Buffs

Mentioned in Despatches for service on the Western Front

Killed in action in July 1916

Source: Clifton College Register1862-1925.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dick,

Once again a request for you. Some time back I asked for details of an officer from your sources, but I had incorrect information concerning him, so am now trying again!

He was Capt. Arthur Charles Davies, born 1877 and attended Harrow School until 1896, when he entered Trinity College Cambridge. Resident Treborth near Bangor, Caernarfonshire and later Treffos, Llansadwrn, Anglesey. Could you please check this man for me?

Clive

Captain Arthur Charles Davies, R Welsh Fusiliers

Youngest son of Richard Davies, Esq., Treborth, Bangor, MP for Anglesey, 1869-1886, Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey, 1884-1896, and his wife, Annie, the only child of Rev. Henry Rees.

Educated at Harrow School from Midsummer 1892 to 1896 (Football XI, 1895) and at Trinity College, Cambridge (BA, 1900)

In March 1908 he married, Sisli, the youngest daughter of Col. Hampton Lewis of Henllys and Badwe, Anglesey.

Served with the Territorial Army for some years prior to the Great War

Went to Gallipoli with the 6th Bn, R Welsh Fusiliers in July 1915

Missing in action on Chocolate Hill, 10 August 1915. 'He was last seen leading his men to an attack on Chocolate Hill, above the Salt Lake, a short way beyond the well called Ali Bay Cheshma.'

Sources: Harrow School Register 1845-1925; Harrow Memorials of the Great War, Voume VI.

post-765-0-29058700-1404923287_thumb.jpg

Dick,

Brilliant! As ever, I'm most grateful.

Clive

Dick

Good morning looking for anything on George Henry Chamberlain former pupil of ampleforth college (1901) native of Birkdale Lancashire served in the 8th Irish Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment.

Thank you

Paul