Dick,

I'm researching the following Officer:

Lieutenant Francis Christoper Dallas Williams KIA 19th July 1916

3rd Battalion East Surreys attached 2/4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment

Educated St. Edmund's School, Canterbury

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,

Stephen

I dont have the school but if possible I would be grateful if you would look up a Frederick Arthur Vladimer Wevill born 1900 (Midshipman - killed in explosion that destroyed HMS Vanguard in July 1917).

Many thanks,

Sigs

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

I'm researching the following Officer:

Second Lieutenant Noel Carelton/Carleton Blakeway KIA/DOW 27th March 1916

3rd Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment attached 1st Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment.

Educated Cheltenham College.

Many thanks,

Walter

Second Lieutenant Noel Carelton/Carleton Blakeway KIA/DOW 27th March 1916

2nd Lt. Noel Carlton Blakeway

Born 24 Dec 95, the son of George Sheffield Blakeway, Esq., Solicitor, Staniforth, Tuffley, Gloucester.

Educated at Cheltenham College from Sept 09 to Dec 14

Served with 3 Bn, Dorset Regiment

KIA near Boiselle, France on 27 Mar 16

Source: Cheltenham College Register, 1841-1927.

Regards. Dick

I dont have the school but if possible I would be grateful if you would look up a Frederick Arthur Vladimer Wevill born 1900 (Midshipman - killed in explosion that destroyed HMS Vanguard in July 1917).

I am afraid I cannot find him listed in any school register or roll of honour that I have. Regards. Dick Flory

Lieutenant Francis Christoper Dallas Williams KIA 19th July 1916

3rd Battalion East Surreys attached 2/4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment

Educated St. Edmund's School, Canterbury

Unfortunately I do not have any thing for that school. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

you have been very kind before with info on my grandfather Lt Raymond Hakim RGA. I would be very interested to know what (if anything) it says about him in the Eton book (or does that only list those who were killed? - thankfully Grandpa survived).

Also I would love to know more about Major William Uttamore White, MC and bar who, as you know, was Grandpa's Commanding Officer in the 87th siege battery RGA. Where did Major White go to school/university, and do you know what happened to him after the war?

many thanks in advance

Pat

Dick,

Would you have any information on 2Lt Herbert Jackson Martin, 1/1 Kent Cyclist Battalion and RAF. He was educated at Sedbergh School, unfortunately I do not have the dates.

Cheers,Steve.

Would you have any information on 2Lt Herbert Jackson Martin, 1/1 Kent Cyclist Battalion and RAF. He was educated at Sedbergh School, unfortunately I do not have the dates.

2nd Lt. Herbert Jackson Martin

Born 3 Jun 96; the son of John James Martin, an art cabinet maker of Main Street, Sedbergh

Educated at Sedgergh School from 1909 to Sept 1912

Served with the RAF in Great War in India from 1915-1917 and in Egypt from 1917-1918

After the war was a dentist in Sheffield

He married in November 1923 and was living at 50 Upperthorpe Road, Sheffield

Sources: Sedbergh School Register, 1875 to 1928; Sedbergh School Record of War Service, 1914-1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

I would love to know more about Major William Uttamore White, MC and bar

Pat: Major W U White was educated at Wellington School Somerset. During the war he was awarded the MC in the London Gazette of 1 Feb 1919 and the Bar to the MC in the London Gazette of 1 Jan 1919 (it would appear that his Bar was gazetted before his MC. Both MCs were for service with 87th Siege Battery, RGA. He was also Mentioned in Despatches.

In the Wellington School Somerset Magazine of December 1918 there is a letter from him in which he writes: "We are leading a very quiet life here: not much to do after all the fighting. I have my battery just outside St. Pol and my men are being demobilized very fast.

I have had some very hair-raising experiences during the war, as my unit took part in every offensive, not to mention the reverse at Cambrai 1917 and the Somme in 1918. I finished up on November 11th at Mons, with the Canadian Corps, very interesting after one had heard so much of the place, and 'business as usual' was the order of the day when we walked in.

It may interest you to hear that I was awarded an MC on September 2nd last, and a bar to it about a week later, both being immediate awards."

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thanks very much for the information on 2Lt HJ.Martin. Hopefully I now have something to go on to research this man further.

Kind regards, Steve.

Dick

thank you so much for the info in William White - know I know where he was I can pretty safely assume my grandfather was at the same places (from when he joined the 87th siege battery in 1917 onwards). Grandpa never said a word about his war experiences so this will be of great interest to all our family.

thank you so much

Pat

Hi Dick,

Could you please look for Capt William Norman Watson M.C. RAMC attatched 6th KOSB,died of wounds 29/5/1916.

He was educated at University of Edinburgh from I'm led to believe 1907 and graduated as a doctor in 1913.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Could you please look for Capt William Norman Watson M.C. RAMC attatched 6th KOSB,died of wounds 29/5/1916.

Captain William Norton Watson, RAMC

Educated at Dingwall Academy and University of Edinburgh where he was a Student of Medicine from 1907-1914; MB, ChB, 1913.

Cadet, University of Edinburgh OTC from Oct 1909 to April 1913.

Commissioned as a Lieutenant, RAMC in December 1914

Captain, April 1916

Attached to 6th King's Own Scottish Borderers.

Military Cross at Loos, Sept 1915

Mentioned in Despatches.

Died of wounds on 29 May 1916.

I have attached his photo below.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1081223543.jpg

Dick,

Would you have anything on George Cedric Hodgkinson, Yorkshire Regt and Yorks and Lancs Regt who attended Clifton College?

Grateful for any help.

Bob.

Bob:

Lt. George Cedric Hodgkinson, York and Lanc Regt.

Born 7 Jan 1896, the son of R E Hodgkinson, Rotherham

Educated at Clinton College from Sept 1911 to Oct 1914; Played on XI.

Served as Lt. 8th Bn, York and Lancaster Regt.

KIA July 1916

Source: Various Clinton College Regisers.

Not much I am afraid.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

Wonder if this chap is in any of your sources?

Regards

Simon

GILMOUR, HERBERT JAMES GRAHAM

H J G

United Kingdom

Lieutenant

Worcestershire Regiment

3rd Bn.

19/09/1914

Son of Ethel Blanche Price-Hughes (formerly Gilmour), of Red Hill, Worcester, and the late James Graham Gilmour. Served in the South African Campaign.

Wonder if this chap is in any of your sources? Regards Simon

Lieut. Herbert James Graham Gilmour

Born at Southport, Lancashire, 2 Aug 83, the son of Mrs. Price Hughes of Redhill, near Worcester and her first husband, the late James Graham Gilmore of Whittington Lodge, near Worcester. Grandson of the Reverend J. Cook, Peopleton, Pershore.

Educated at Hartford House, Winchfield and Radley College, Oxford from Summer 1898 to 1900.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Worcestershire Militia, Dec 00

Served in South African War from Jan to May 02 (Queen's Medal with 2 clasps.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut into the 3rd Bn, Worcestershire Regt on 28 Jan 03

Promoted to Lieutenant on 15 Jun 06

Served at the Depot at Norton Barracks from 1904-1906

In South Africa from 1906-1907

At Dover in 1907-1910 and then transferred to the 4th Battalion at Bareilly, India

Came home on leave in Feb 14

On 4 August he was ordered to join the 3rd Battalion and went to France with them on 13 Aug 14

Served during the retreat from Mons and was participating in the Battle of the Aisne when KIA. at Vailly, France on 19 Sep 14, trying to save his men who were under heavy fire.

Sources: The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1; De Ruvigny, Roll of Honour, Volume 1; Radley Register, 1847-1933.

The photo below is from the “Roll of Honour.” The photo on the second page if from “The Bond of Sacrifice.”

Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1081722091.jpg

And here is the second photo:

post-14-1081722176.jpg

Dick - This is fantastic - Thank you very much.

Simon

• 5 weeks later...

For your information Robert Jackson attended Nelson Secondary School from 7 Jan 1902 to 27 June 1912. He was a 2nd Lt in the RFA and was awarded the MC, British War Medal and Victory Medal. His citation in the London Gazette 20 October 1916, p 101184 read

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations. Having experience as a medical student, he voluntarily assisted wounded men with utter disregard of personal danger, while batteries in the neighbourhood were under heavy shell fire.

You might already know of him, inwhich case I apologise.

The info is from my book

The War Record of Nelson Secondary School 1914-1919.