Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers).

Dick.

I don't have any details on this man, but I wondered if he was in your RA database.... Lt.W.Wooliscroft, 3/3 W.R. R.F.A. (T).

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dick

Many thanks for looking anyway.

Regards

Jimmy

Dick

I don't know if you can help, I am researching Gerald Featherstone Knight MC, who was in the RFC. I know he went to school in Bishops Stortford, and I know that there is or was a big school there but cannot for the life of me think what it was called. I think he would have been there C1905-13.

Regards

Ian C

I don't have any details on this man, but I wondered if he was in your RA database.... Lt.W.Wooliscroft, 3/3 W.R. R.F.A. (T).

Dave: This is what I have on him. Not much I am afraid:

Lieut. William Woolliscroft, RFA TF

(Everything I have on him spells his name with a double "l".)

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., 3 Brigade, West Riding Regiment, RFA TF on 10 Sep 15

Promoted to Lieut., RFA TF on 1 Jun 16

Military Cross gazetted on 1 Jan 18 for service with Trench Mortar Battery (no citation)

Had service with Royal Flying Corps

Not much I am afraid. Regards. Dick Flory

I am researching Gerald Featherstone Knight MC, who was in the RFC.

Ian: I don't have a school register for him but he is listed in "The Inns of Court O.T.C. durning the Great War:

Knight, Gerald Featherstone

Joined A Company as a Private (Service No. 1334) on 26 Sep 14

Commissioned on 4 Nov 14 and posted to the Devon Regiment

later attached to the Gloucesters, and then to RFC and RAF

Served in France as a Captain

Taken Prisoner of War and later escaped

Received the Military Cross

Died on 30 October 19

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Would appreciate another look up if you would be so kind.

Harold D'arcy Champney was educated at Denstone College in Staffordshire and then Bailliol College Oxford.

Anything you can find would be great.

Bob.

If you have anything on:

2n Lt John Constantine Nuthall, who was at All Saints School, Bloxham, Nr Banbury, Oxon and then was in the Inns of Court OTC in 1916.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Dave: This is what I have on him. Not much I am afraid:

Lieut. William Woolliscroft, RFA TF

(Everything I have on him spells his name with a double "l".)

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., 3 Brigade, West Riding Regiment, RFA TF on 10 Sep 15

Promoted to Lieut., RFA TF on 1 Jun 16

Military Cross gazetted on 1 Jan 18 for service with Trench Mortar Battery (no citation)

Had service with Royal Flying Corps

Not much I am afraid. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks very much Dick.

That was just what I was looking for. I have his map case containing notes and his company roll book, field telegrams, orders etc, but had nothing at all on the man himself. I was even unsure of the spelling of his name (everything mentioning his name is handwritten either by himself or a Major ? (totally illegible).

Thanks again,

Dave.

If you have anything on:

2n Lt John Constantine Nuthall, who was at All Saints School, Bloxham, Nr Banbury, Oxon and then was in the Inns of Court OTC in 1916.

Any info would be much appreciated.

John Constantine Nuthall

Educated at Allsaints School, Bloxham from 1912-1914

The "Supplement, 1910-1925" to the "History of All Saints' School, Bloxham, 1860-1910" indicates that "the names of those who gave their lives" are carved on Memorial Panels in the Chapel and that a "Book of Remembrance" containing the names and details of all those from the school who served in the Great War is placed in the Chapel near the Memorial Panels.

I can not find him listed in "The Inns of Court OTC during the Great War."

Source: History of All Saints' School, Bloxham, 1860-1910 with Supplement, 1910-1925.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Can you look up the following Buffs please, who I believe went to Rugby School

Capt Ralph William Homan

2LT Cecil Howard Sowerby Ruston

2LT Thomas William Underhill

Thanks in advace

Michael

Can you look up the following Buffs please, who I believe went to Rugby School

Capt Ralph William Homan

Capt. Ralph William Homan

Born 1 Aug 92; the only son of Ralph and Amy Arnold Holman, Hadley, Tunbridge Wells

Educated at Rugby School from Sep 06 to 1910; XV 1909; won high jump, 1910.

Gentleman Cadet, Sandhurst Company, RMA Woolwich

2nd Lieut., The Buffs, 1911

Lieut, 1913

Served in Great War with 1st Bn, East Kent Regt

Temp. Captain, Feb 15

Left for France on 7 Sep 14

Shot in thigh by sniper at Radinghem, near Fauquembergues, 25 Oct 1914,

After recovery he joined the Reserve Bn at Dover and went back to France in May 1915

Mentioned in Despatches, Nov 1915

Died at Abeele on 11 Aug 1915 of wounds received at Hooge on the previous day while retaking the trenches.

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Memorial of Rugbeians who fell in the Great War, Volume II; Rugby School War Register.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1074365392.jpg

Can you look up the following Buffs please, who I believe went to Rugby School: 2LT Cecil Howard Sowerby Ruston

2nd Lt Cecil Howard Sowerby Ruston, 4th Bn, The Buffs

Born on 29 Jul 86; the elder son of Alfred Harold Sowerby Ruston of Aylesby House, Chatteris, Cambridgeshire and of Newmarket, a solicitor and Maria Catherina Dorothea, daughter of Reverend Michael Augustus Gathercole, Vicar of Chatteris.

Educated at Rugby School from 1900 to 1903; became a solicitor in Feb 1909 and afterwoods joined his father as a partner in his practice, A Harold Ruston & Son, at Chatteris.

In April 1916 he joined the Cambridge University OTC and a Cadet Battalion, and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, The Buffs in Dec 16.

Went to France in Dec 1916 where he served with the 8th Bn, The Buffs

Took part in the Battle around Arras in Spring 17, in the fighting after the Battle of Cambrai in Nov 17 and in the heavy fighting near St. Quentin in March and April 1918.

During the final German attack which began on 21 Mar 18 he was instrumental in capturing a machine-gun and taking some of its crew prisoner.

In the retreat from St. Quentin he and his men were ten days without sleep or rest.

During a heavy attack by the enemy in the area of Villers-Bretonneux near Amiens he was in the front trenches, rallying his men, when he was shot through the head and killed instantly on 4 April 1918 at the age of 31.

He married in Jun 11, Winifred Grace, daughter of Reverend Frederick Charles Marshall, Rector of Doddington, Cambridgeshire and left one daughter.

Sources: Memorials of Rugbeians who fell in the Great War, Volume VI; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Record of service of solicitors and articled clerks, 1914-1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1074366771.jpg

Can you look up the following Buffs please, who I believe went to Rugby School 2LT Thomas William Underhill

2nd Lieut. Thomas William Underhill, 8th (Service) Bn, The Buffs

Born on 17 Oct 96; the only son of Herbert George and Edith Mary Underhill of Wootton Court, Canterbury.

Educated at Rugby School from 1910 to 1913.

Then at Birmingham University to study engineering.

At beginning of war at age of 17 he enlisted in the Royal Sussex Regiment and was promoted to Lance Corporal

Commissioned into The Buffs

Went to France in October 1915

Wounded in Oct 15 and returned to England

Returned to France in Feb 16

"During the Battle of the Somme his Battalion had taken some German trenches near Delville Wood and wer holding them. He was on look-out duty; his Captain had just given some orders, and had only gone about ten yards down the trench when he heard a shell burst. The Captain ran back and found him lying dead, evidentally killed by concussion, August 19th, 1916, age 19."

Sources: Memorials of Rugbeians who fell in the Great War, Volume VI; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register.

post-14-1074367538.jpg

Dick,

Please could you have a look for Kenneth Buchanan Mckenzie, who attended Rugby School during the 1890's, later to become Captain with the 123rd Outram's Rifles(F.F.).

Thanks

Chad

Dick

I have just found that Lt.Cosmo Lewis Duff-Gordon another Radnorshire man, Herefordshire Regiment attd. to 13th Coy MGC, who was kia 3rd September 1916 was at Gresham School, Norfolk.

Do you have any information regarding this young man ?

I also hope to find out how he was related to Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon, the controversial figure of the Titanic disaster.

Regards

Myrtle

Guest Pete Wood

Myrtle, I am a Titanic buff - so I can help you here.

Sir Cosmo had a younger brother called Henry William Duff-Gordon (aka Harry).

'Harry' is the father of Lt. CL Duff-Gordon. So 'your' man was the nephew of the Titanic Duff-Gordon.

Maud Emily Hammersley was born in 1866 and married Sir Henry ('Harry') Duff-Gordon in 1891.

Pic of Harry http://www.gmilne.demon.co.uk/harry.htm

Pic of Maude http://www.gmilne.demon.co.uk/maud.htm

Both pics from a relative of Harry and Maud, so may have more info on CL D-G...??

Hi Dick

When you have the chance, I would be grateful for a look up on your R.A database for the following two officers

R D NIGHTINGALE (Lt)

H S MARSHALL (Major) - Eastbourne College I believe.

Many Thanks

John

I have just found that Lt.Cosmo Lewis Duff-Gordon another Radnorshire man, Herefordshire Regiment attd. to 13th Coy MGC, who was kia 3rd September 1916 was at Gresham School, Norfolk.

Do you have any information regarding this young man ?

Myrtle: Sorry, I do not have a register for Gresham School, Norfolk. Regards. Dick

When you have the chance, I would be grateful for a look up on your R.A database for the following two officers

R D NIGHTINGALE (Lt)

H S MARSHALL (Major) - Eastbourne College I believe.

Here is what I can tell you about the above two officers:

Lieut. Colonel Roland Douglas Nightingale, MC, RA

Known as “Night” to his comrades.

Born 12 Jun 99

Cadet, RMA, Woolwich, 1917-Jan 18

Commissioned into RGA in Jan 18

Joined 91 Siege Battery, RGA on 9 July 18

Military Cross, London Gazette, 15 Feb 19 (Citation, 30 Jul 1919)

From the 91 Siege Battery history:

“The 12th Oct. was a very bad day for us. We had fired a few rounds at active batteries and a few 8” shells came back in return. Lieut. Ainsley, Sergt. Eales, Bombardier Newton, Gunner Graham and Gunner Mc W. McCullough took refuge in a cellar under a house, together with its inhabitants, nine French civilians. A shell hit the house and the cellar collapsed, the ruins of the house falling into it. Lieut. Nightingale was the first to discover the calamity and he, with Bombardier Bradshaw and Gunner Fletcher were conspicuous amongst many in the rescue work which started at great personal risk before the shelling had ceased.” (Bradshaw and Fletcher received MMs).

1920 – posted to Gibraltar

“Between the two world wars he was closely connected to all Sport. He played in representative Army Games in Soccer, Rugger, Hockey at Woolwich, Bulford and Shoeburyness and for Woolwich, Gibraltar, and Shoeburyness Garrison at Squash and Tennis as well. He played Representative Garrison and R. A. Cricket from 1925 to 1935, representing the Regiment twice at Lords vs. R. E. and was a playing member at the M. C. C.”

In 1936 to Ceylon where he was the first Instructor of Gunnery appointed to Ceylon Command.

Returned to Shoeburyness in 1939

Then 8 A. A. Divisional Staff at Bristol as A/Q

Given command of 80 LAA Regiment, RA with which he served in South of England and South Wales and all over the Middle East until the Regiment disbanded in April 1944.

Then became Chief Administrative Officer, Alexandria Area until returning to Home Establishment in 1946

After a short period with HQ Civil Resettlement he commanded 498 HAA Regiment, RA (TA)

He retired from the Regiment in 1949 after service to take up the Secretaryship of Western Region, R. A. A. on 1 Feb 49.

Employment Officer, Royal Artillery Charitable Fund

Died 21 May 62

Sources: History of the 91st (Siege) Battery, RGA, December 1915 to 11 November 1918; The Gunner, July 1962, page 177.

Major Henry Seymour Marshall, DSO, RGA

Born on 5 Mar 79; the son of C. Marshall

Educated at Eastbourne College from 1894-1898 and at Cooper’s Hill (R. I. E. C.)

2nd Lieut, RGA, 10 Jan 00

Lieut. 3 Apr 01

Served at Malta and Gibraltar until 1904

Served in India from 1904-1914

Captain, 10 Feb 11

Served with 90th Heavy Battery, RGA in India in 1914 and in Egypt and the Dardanelles

Landed at Cape Helles in April 1915 and evacuated in 1916

Commanded 90 Heavy Battery, RGA from the landing at Gallipoli to Jul 1915

Commanded 14 Siege Battery, RGA from July 15 to 27 Aug 15

Returned to 90 Heavy Battery, RGA and commanded it from 28 Aug 15 to 21 Sept 15

Major, 16 Oct 15

Then commanded 14 Siege Battery, RGA from 16 Dec 15 to the evacuation

Served in France from April 1916 to 24 Jun 17.

Distinguished Service Order, London Gazette, 3 Jun 16 (no citation)

Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette, 13 Jul 16

Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette, 14 Dec 17

Married Violet Mabel, daughter of J. Attfield and they had two daughters

Retired as a Major on 16 December 1922.

Sources: Eastbourne College Roll of War Service; The Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1920. 29th Divisional Artillery War Record; War Services of Officers, 1920, 1924.

When you have a minute. LT EAG Stoker who attended Trinity College Dublin in and around 1907/8.

Not much I am afraid:

Lieut. Edward Alexander Graves Stoker, MGC (late ASC)

Matriculated at Trinity College, Dublin in 1906

Lieut. ASC, Feb 1915

Lieut, MGC, Cavalry, Feb 1915

Source: University of Dublin War List, 1922.