Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

The info on 2nd Lt Binns is terrific, much more than I could have hoped for and will help me tremendously.

Very many thanks for your help.

Bob.

The info on 2nd Lt Binns is terrific, much more than I could have hoped for and will help me tremendously.

Dick, thanks very much for this, it is very helpful to me too as I'm researching the 8th Yorkshires attack at Contalmaison on 10 July 1916. One of Binns' brother officers also killed that day was my grandmother's first fiancee, Capt Francis Dodgson.

Bob, thank you for asking, what is your interest in Binns?

Charles

Any relation to the Reverend and Alice?

Yes - another branch of the same family. I believe my Dodgson's grandfather was a cousin of the Reverend.

Dick, thank you so much for offering to do lookups, that is very generous.

I was wondering if you had a roll for Westminster School and could please spare a moment to look up two of my 19th London Regt officers. They are shown in the OTC Roll as Westminster OTC:

2/Lt Thomas Reginald DAWSON

commissioned into the 19th London Regt 03/10/14

went to France 18/06/15

Killed 04/02/16, Arras Memorial, age 20

2/Lt P.S. SPOKES commissioned into the 19th London Regt 30/01/15

survived the war

Any assistance on these would be greatly appreciated

Charles

Charles,

Very long term project of mine is to try and research and write up a small piece on all Green Howards officers who died 1914-1919, quite a task that will keep me busy for years I would think.

Bob.

Dick,

I would be grateful if you could check out an entry for Dulwich College.

2nd Lt Henry Hamilton Sheridan

Royal Irish Fusiliers 1st Battalion

KIA 3rd May 1917

Age 35

The family moved between the UK and India during his education, so I'm not sure how long he was at the college.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

I was wondering if you had a roll for Westminster School and could please spare a moment to look up two of my 19th London Regt officers. They are shown in the OTC Roll as Westminster OTC:

Charles:

2nd Lieut. Thomas Reginald Dawson. 19th Batt., London Regiment

Born 23 Dec 1895, the only son of Charles Reginald Dawson of Beckenham, Kent and Eleanor Hannah, youngest daughter of Willliam Spencer Mitchell of Cambridge.

Admitted to Westminister as a King's Scholar on 23 Sept 1909

Elected to an exhibition at Christ's Church, Oxford in July 1914

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., 19th Batt, London Regiment on 3 Oct 1914

Went to France on 17 June 1915

Died on 4 Feb 1916 at the Empire Hospital, Vincent Square, Westminister, from wounds received in action at Loos on 25 Sept 1915

Sources: The Record of Old Westminisers, Vol. III; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Captain Peter Spencer Spokes, 19th Batt., London Regiment

Born 23 Dec 1893; the son of Peter Sidney Spokes, MRCS, JP, of St. Marylebone and Agnes, daughter of Albert Anderson of Dunstable, Beds

Admitted to Westminister on 30 April 1908 and left in July 1912

BA, 1917 and MA, 1921, BSc, 1923, Queen's College, Oxford

Lieut, 19 Batt, London Regiment on 16 Oct 1916

Acting Captain, London Regiment on 3 Aug 1917

Served in France in the Great War as Captain and Adjutant of the 19th Bn, London Regiment.

From 1924 to 1938 was Secretary of the Imperial Forestry Institute at University of Oxford

In 1935 he lived at 26 Charlbury Road, Oxford

F. S. A. in 1937

Extra Staff at Bodleian Library, University of Oxford since 1950

Married Lilla Jane, elder daughter of John Hazelwood Clayton, MB of Edgbaston, co. Warwick on 2 Sept 1924

His son, John Arthur Clayton Spokes served as a 2nd Lieut., RA in the 1950s.

Sources: The Record of Old Westminisers, Vol. III; Oxford University Roll of Service; Queen's College Register, 1935.

Dick , do you have the roll for Oxford University, I don't know which college

Christine: I can find no W H Statham in the Oxford University Roll of Service. Sorry. Dick Flory

Dick, can I trouble you for two brothers of the 7th Northamptonshires please.

Lt. John Norris MORLEY died at Loos, 25.9.15 and Alexander survived the war.

They went to St Paul's School London, and John was a student at Reading University

Sorry, but I do not have any resources on either of the schools you mention. Regards. Dick Flory

2nd Lieut. Henry Hamilton Sheridan, 1st Bn, Royal Irish Fusiliers

Born 1 Aug 1882; son of Mrs. Sheridan of 18 Chatsworth Road, Norwood

Educated at Dulwich College from 22 May 1895 to July 1900 and at RMC, Sandhurst

He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1905

Member of the O. A. Football Club

When war broke out he was Principal Assistant in the firm of Messrs. Price Waterhouse & WB Peat in Buenos Ayres. He resigned and came home in May 1916.

Passed through a Cadet Unit at Wadham College, Oxford.

Commissoned as a Temporary 2nd Lieut. in Royal Irish Fusiliers in Oct 1916

Completed his training with the 3rd Battalion at Armagh and joined the 1st Battalion in France.

Led his men in an attack on 3 May 1917, after which he and his party were reported missing and their bodies were never recovered.

Sources: Dulwich College War Record, 1914-1919; Dulwich College Register 1619-1926; Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War 1914-1919.

I have attached a photo of him from Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War 1914-1919. I will send you a second photo from the Dulwich College War Record, 1914-1919 in another message. Regards. Dick Flory

post-14-1073243957.jpg

Photo of Sheridan from the Dulwich College War Record 1914-1919 attached. Regards. Dick Flory

Photo of Sheridan from the Dulwich College War Record 1914-1919 attached. Regards. Dick Flory

Ooops! Pushed the wrong button. Let's try it again.

post-14-1073244152.jpg

Dick,

What can I say, but a big thank you.

Not only the background information but two photographs.

I picked up his British War medal last month and then his Victory medal, am exchanging emails with the previous owners to see how long they had been split for, but nice to have them back together.

If I can ever return the favour with any information from the Irish Fusiliers Battalion diaries, Please let me know.

Thanks again

Andy

Dick, wow, that was quick! A big thank you. That is very helpful as I have been struggling with these two, particularly Spokes.

regards

Charles

Dick,

Do you have Morrison's Academy , Crieff in your collection?

I am doing the WW2 list for an old boy ex-Major in the Indian Army.

I would be interested in any WW1 info.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm: Unfortunately I do not have anything for Morrison's Academy. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

if you have any coverage of Leeds University or schools, would be grateful for details of two officers commissioned in 5th Seaforth from Leeds Uni OTC on 11 Jul 15 -

2/Lt Benjeman Holroyd - KIA at Beaumont Hamel 13 Nov 16. That's all I have.

2/Lt Frank Lupton - born Leeds 1896 - MC for Beaumont Hamel (gazetted Jan 17). Later to RFC.

Jock

Do you have anything for EA Berrisford, Queens College, Oxford?

Rev. E. A. Berrisford, MC, RE

Educated at King Edward VII School, Sheffield

Fellow of Queen's College, Oxford University from 1922 to 1929

Appointed as Rector of Bramshott in 1929

Examining Chaplain to the Bishops of Wakefield from 1920 to 1929; Coventry from 1922 to 1930; and Portsmouth from 1931.

Served as Lieut. Colonel, RE during the Great War and served with the Special Brigade, RE in France and Belgium from 1915-1919.

Military Cross, LG 1 Jan 17.

In 1935 he lived at Bramshott Rectory, Liphook, Hants.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

If you have the registers for the Cheltenham Grammar School around 1910 - 1918 I wonder if you would look up a chap who appears on their Great War Roll of Honour as L M Burckhardt but became L M Borchard in the programme for a subsequent dedication service.

With very many thanks.

Jimmy

Dick.

If you have anything on Winchester School I would be grateful for any info on Norman Martin Bruce 6th bn Yorkshire Regiment during the war.

Bob.

If you have the registers for the Cheltenham Grammar School around 1910 - 1918 I wonder if you would look up a chap who appears on their Great War Roll of Honour as L M Burckhardt but became L M Borchard in the programme for a subsequent dedication service.

Jimmy: I am sorry but I do not have a register for Cheltehnam Grammar School. Regards. Dick Flory

If you have anything on Winchester School I would be grateful for any info on Norman Martin Bruce 6th bn Yorkshire Regiment during the war.

Bob:

Norman Martin Bruce

Born on 10 April 1890; son of John Bruce and Florence Emma Bruce, Hill Crest, Whitby, Yorks

Educated at Winchester College from 1903-1908; School IV

Attended Christ Church, Oxford University; Sculls, 1911-1912; BA

Read for the Bar

2nd Lieut, 6th Bn, Yorkshire Regiment, 1914; Lieut. 1915

Killed in action 7 Aug 15; Sulva Bay (Oxford Univ. Roll of Service gives 6 Aug 15)

Sources: Winchester College, 1884-1934, A Register; Winchester College, A Register for the Years 1901-1946; Wykemist War Service Roll, July 1918; To What End Did They Die: Officers Died at Gallipoli;

There is a series of volumes entitled, "Wykehamists Who Died in the War, 1914-1918," that contain short biographies and photos of each casualty from Winchester College, but I only have volume III that covers those who matriculated from 1905 to 1908.

Regards. Dick Flory