Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reveille

Terry_Reeves

I have just finished reading the letters of the Rev RE Inglis, a padre who was attached to the KSLI on the Western Front.

In April 1916 he officiated at the funeral of Lt Col EB Luard DSO and wrote to his wife "It was asked that we might have Reveille sounded after the Last Post. It was suggested to me by the Brigadier and it is such a nice idea it was worth adopting."

Was this the start of the tradition?

Terry Reeves

• 3 years later...

You may be on to something here. The Reverend Harry Blackburne DSO, also mentions Reveille.

'I have just been to take a funeral service. I always ask the buglers or trumpeters out her to sound Reveille after Last Post. Before the war Last Post was the end of the service. This war has taught us the Reveille must be sounded after the Last Post.

'This Also Happened on the Western Front' p.134. (Hodder and Stoughton, London; 1932).

Blackburne was Assitant Chaplain-General, 1st Army.

Can anyone add any more detail about the sounding of calls at Military Funerals pre and post 1914-18?

Unable to add anything to this but would be interested in anything from anybody who does know. Great post.

I would imagine it was more of a religious act than any military law or tradition. Last Post signifying the death Reveille signifying the the start of the new life in heaven. Quite beautiful.

I suspect that there is a bit of military and religion in this. After all, Last Post and Reveille are military signals and someone, somewhere has felt that there use at a funeral, as gunboat suggests, quite apt. I hadn't thought of in those terms, or from where it originated before despite hearing it too many times.

Roxy

Looking up 'Reveille' in 'The Drummers Handbook' Army Code No. 71333 (1985) para 0308

'There are three bugle calls used. 'Rouse' 'Long Reveille' and the 'Charlie Charlie' (R.N & R.M.)

Rouse is the call now blown on Rembrance Sunday in place of Reveille, possibly because its easier to blow.

Para.0310 says the custom certainly up to 1914-18 was for Rouse (known as 'the Donkey') first followed by 'Reveille' 15 Minutes later.

The call played on occassions such as Remembrance Day should be the 'Long Reveille'

I know this isnt adding anything, but it states that Terry posted this in Oct '02... :blink:

And the first reply was over 3 years later. :o

Crikey... That's got to be a forum record.

Does any member have access to 'Ceremonial' 1912 with ammendments June 1914; which might shed some light on this matter. I only have Infantry Training 1914, which has a short section on 'Bugle calls in war on page 90( Sec.95.)

Also could anyone look out a copy of 'Military Customs' Gale & Polden, Aldershot 1950 by T J Edwards to see if he covers Military Funerals?

I've looked at 'Discovering British Regimental Traditions' by Ian F W Beckett, but nothing of help there.