Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll Call 32 Brigade RFA - Aug 23 1914

Dashers1

I am searching for the Battery Roll Call for the 32 Brigade RFA when they landed in Boulonge in August 1914 (27th,134th & 135th Battery's)

My Grandfather served the duration of the war with this 32 Brigade (4th Division) and I have recently been given his Medals (Pip,Sqeak & Wilfred) plus his 'Old Contemptible' Lapel Badge and Membership sheet, plus an 18lb Shell Case he brought back with him during a trip back to Blighty in late 1916.

Can anybody assist me in this search.

Welcome ChrissA to the forum,

My main area is RGA but in the absence of any other response as yet to your post………..

I am assuming you wish to verify your Grandfathers participation in this brigade. You are unlikely to find a roll call from the beginning of the war for them, but often photographs before embarkation were taken and sometimes appear on EBay or such like, but finding them is a rare occurrence, The more likely scenario is that you may find a Brigade Roll of honour from late 1918 with his name mentioned, but again after this length of time they are very few and far between commanding a premium price when they do surface. The forum does have a habit of throwing these things up though, especially if there is another interested battery descendant with privately held diaries or named photos.

An easier way is to find and download his medal index card through the NA site on the internet for £3.50. This will confirm his date of entry into a theatre of war and possibly a lot more besides. Though this is already narrowed down by the fact you say he has a ‘pip, squeak and wilfred’. The references found on this card will point to two other rolls that he will be mentioned on for his medal allocations at the NA. There are three styles of cards and often the earlier two confirm the actual RFA battery.

As you already appear to know, 32 Bde RFA arrived in France 23/6/1914 straight into the battle of Le Cateau where their guns had to be physically pulled out by hand. A full diary survives for them at NA ref WO95/1467 covering entry to armistice. There should be lots of names in there but more often for the wrong reasons, ie, if they were wounded or casualties, but also those that were medal winners. Politely suggest if you have the card already, or when you get it to post it on the forum along with his name /rank.; and see what can be gleamed from it.

Regards

Edit: My typo, I meant 23/8/1914

Guest Churchill1608

27 Bty did arrive in Boulogne from Southampton on the SS Thepis, arriving there on 23 Aug,1914. They then moved by rail to Bohain, bivouacked and at 0200hrs 25th Aug 1914, marched to Briastre and went into action, but did not fire.

A full account of 27 Bty during the Great war can be found on http://www.oca42regt.com under the heading Batteries and then proceed to 68 Bty History.

Thank you for the link, and yet another piece of the jigsaw found.

Many thanks

Regards

ChrissA

27 Bty did arrive in Boulogne from Southampton on the SS Thepis, arriving there on 23 Aug,1914. They then moved by rail to Bohain, bivouacked and at 0200hrs 25th Aug 1914, marched to Briastre and went into action, but did not fire.

A full account of 27 Bty during the Great war can be found on http://www.oca42regt.com under the heading Batteries and then proceed to 68 Bty History.

Thank you for the great information, to date only two replies, but both of great interest on sourcing info.

I have just received the Medal cards from the NA, but it only notes the 32Brigade as his parent unit, no mention of the Battery, let alone the 18lb Gunhe was a Driver on then later a Bombadier. I will approach the NA for a copy of the War Diaries with a window of Aug-Dec 1914, I might be able to Glean further information from that source.

He was one of the lucky ones who survived the war with only a few mental scars and not physical ones.

Thanks Again Gents.

Regards

ChrissA

Welcome ChrissA to the forum,

My main area is RGA but in the absence of any other response as yet to your post………..

I am assuming you wish to verify your Grandfathers participation in this brigade. You are unlikely to find a roll call from the beginning of the war for them, but often photographs before embarkation were taken and sometimes appear on EBay or such like, but finding them is a rare occurrence, The more likely scenario is that you may find a Brigade Roll of honour from late 1918 with his name mentioned, but again after this length of time they are very few and far between commanding a premium price when they do surface. The forum does have a habit of throwing these things up though, especially if there is another interested battery descendant with privately held diaries or named photos.

An easier way is to find and download his medal index card through the NA site on the internet for £3.50. This will confirm his date of entry into a theatre of war and possibly a lot more besides. Though this is already narrowed down by the fact you say he has a ‘pip, squeak and wilfred’. The references found on this card will point to two other rolls that he will be mentioned on for his medal allocations at the NA. There are three styles of cards and often the earlier two confirm the actual RFA battery.

As you already appear to know, 32 Bde RFA arrived in France 23/6/1914 straight into the battle of Le Cateau where their guns had to be physically pulled out by hand. A full diary survives for them at NA ref WO95/1467 covering entry to armistice. There should be lots of names in there but more often for the wrong reasons, ie, if they were wounded or casualties, but also those that were medal winners. Politely suggest if you have the card already, or when you get it to post it on the forum along with his name /rank.; and see what can be gleamed from it.

Regards

• 5 years later...

Chris,

Just a quick bit of history regarding 32 Brigade. It went on to become known 16 Regt RA and then in 1947 was renumbered again to 42 Regt RA. the Regiment was disbanded in 1977 so had a long service. I have bukt a web site showing alll the history that I have found so far. please check it out. www.42regt.com

I would appreciate a chat so if you email me your phone number we can talk. my email is chridunham@aol.com

I live in Edinburgh..

Chris - the 1914 star roll can be acquired from the NArchives [RFA roll 17) - or a version can be compiled yourself from the online medal card listings which are available. This will not confirm which battery each man was in though [or has not been the case in any of the RFA Brigade I have looked at]. One potentially useful indicator/guide may be the 1911 census report - when the brigade was at Bordon.. then containing 134th, 135th and 136th Bty. a quick check indicates that a fair number of men in 134th Bty in 1911 - were still in 32nd Bde in 1914 and probably [not always, but a high % probability] in the the same battery if so.., incl. BSM Perkins, a Sgt Leet and a Sgt Godwin.. for example where I had checked a few names against the medal cards.. there was probably a battery change in the reorganisation of 1913, although whether the addition of 27th Bty then involved the arrival of a battery of new men, or more a change of battery number I am not sure men were changed or simply the battery number is unknown to me.. I seem to have c.100 members of 32nd Bde identified to Battery from 1914 . What was your GFs name and number, if i might ask?

Some members would also be interested in his OC members number/badge number and which branch he was in. There was a post a while back where people were invited to share information on OC branch memberships.. and indeed badge numbering.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been in contact with Kew and if a friend of mine goes to Kew, they charge 25p for each A3 page to be copied. I am going to request a quote via the web site to see what they will charge to copy and post to me.

If there are any documents that you have paid for that I can add to my site, then I am more than willing to reimburse you for a copy.

The web site mentioned oca42regt.com - no longer exsists, unfortunately Mick the hoster passed away so the web site was discontinued.

please use mine http://www.42regt.com

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my quote and it is £500 for the full war diary. So thats that idea scotched for now.

Why don't you try asking a researcher to do it for you. I used one from the classified section of the forum and she (Ann Swaby) provided me with an excellent service, both in terms of speed and cost

Roger

Roger, I thought that a researcher would be more expensive but I will give it some thought. Cheers

Topher, my Grandfather also served with the 32nd Brigade, I have it from his MIC that he entered the theatre of war 23/08/14 he was Gunner Robert Allan 31660 he too recieved all 3 medals and survived the war. I have some of the War Diarys' from the 32nd Brigade but they are from 1916 onwards.

Swally

This link is to the complete list of casualties in the war.

http://www.42regt.com/memorium_killed_32brigade.html

this link is for the lineage of the unit

http://www.42regt.com/1900_to_1939.html

this link is for war diary 27 Bty

http://www.42regt.com/batterys/27bty_textWW1.html

swally, as you can see by my previous post I dont mind sharing my research, so if you could share what you have I would be grateful

• 1 month later...

topher,

Another name for your roll, on behalf of his grandaughter, is 73507 John Peter Bromly, who joined in 1913. His name is sometimes incorrectly given as Bromley, as with his SWB:

Name: John Peter Bromley

Discharge Unit: 5c Res. Bde. R.F.A.

Regiment Number: 73507

Badge Number: B222269

Unit: Royal Horse; Field Artillery (Charlton; Woolwich)

Piece: 2978

List Number: RA 3601-3900

Record Group: WO

Record Class: 329

The register shows he enlisted on 26 August 1913, and was discharged due to wounds 4 June 1919, aged 23

I have a nominal roll for 27th Battery, RFA from August 1914 to April 1919, anyone have a name?

Kate: Sorry, Bromly is not mentioned in the roll. Regards, Dick

Thanks Dick. That has narrowed the field for me.

• 1 month later...

swally, Major General, I am willing to pay for the documents you mention so as I can include them on my web site. please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

please include (32 brigade great war) in the subject column

Regards and Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all

• 6 months later...

News -- I am attending the commemoration Parade at Le Cateau on the 26th August. As you know this was the first Battle that 32 was involved in. I am traveling with a good friend who has a camper van, we travel on the Sunday 24th and will return Thursday 28th. I have been in touch with the local travel information and they have given me a list of the events, the parade is at 10:30hrs on the 26th. There are other events taking place so I am hoping to attend them also. I have just completed a 24 x 16 inch photo montage print to present to the Mayor from the old comrades of 42 Regiment on behalf of 32 Brigade. I have kindly been given copies of half a dozen photos by the Firepower Museum, that are from the archives donated by BSM Smith. There is mention of what Battery the BSM served with. I have also been given permission by the IWM to use some photos of the Guns to add to the print, I have credited both on the print.

Is there anybody else from this forum going to Le Cateau ?

• 5 weeks later...

I have finally been able to download the war diary from 1914 - 18. I have started to type it out and I will be placing it on this post over the next few months. you are all welcome to copy & paste

hopefully this will encourage others to share what they have managed to acquire. As I mentioned before, I am willing to pay towards your costs so as I can include it on the web site. I think all the information should be in the public domain for future generations and not gathering dust... cheers

I have managed to find out that some of the War Grave Cemeteries, are near to Le Cateau so I hope to be able to visit and take photos of our Comrades graves.

The first Gunner to be kille,d was Gnr A.E Rose of 27 Bty, he was killed on 26th August during the Battle of Le Cateau. An officer Lt Armitage was wounded and taken prisoner the same day and spent the war in a prison camp.

How far have you got with the 1914 roll?? i see I managed to assemble c.920 names off the 1914 star medal cards but have yet to add ranks and sort out who has service records surviving. was that BSM R B Smith mentioned earlier? .. 86th Bty - i believe in 30th Bde in 1914 as a Sgt