Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Appleford ?

wulsten

• 2 years later...

An Ernest Appleford is commemorated on the war memorial in Winterbourne, Berks - along with his brother Alfred. Woodspeen West is a couple of miles from Winterbourne. The Applefords lived at Lower Farm, Winterbourne in 1901 and 1911.

http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/memorial.php?link=WB061

Name: APPLEFORD, ERNEST

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 17/02/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: UNITED KINGDOM BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE

This is the chap

Newbury Weekly News, 1 March 1917 p3

Winterbourne.

Pte Ernest Appleford. – The news of the death of Pte Ernest Appleford came as a particularly sad and pathetic circumstance to all the people living in this little village, he having joined the colours only five weeks ago, the last of that noble band who had gone out from here at the call of King and Country. He was in the Royal Field Artillery, and died in the Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, on February 17th. The body was conveyed to Newbury by late train on Tuesday and brought over to Winterbourne on Wednesday and laid to rest in the new ground at Winterbourne Churchyard. At the funeral, at which the Rev B H B Atlee, Vicar of Chieveley, officiated, nearly every household in the village were represented, together with Mr Alfred Baylis, his late employer. The hymn sung in the church was “O God our help in ages past,” and as the body was borne to the grave on the shoulders of eight comrades of the RFA, the “Dead March in Saul” was played. Floral tributes of affection placed on the coffin, were from Florrie, Laura, Frank, Edith, Lizzie and other members of the family and friends. The death of Ernest is further saddened by the thought that his brother Alfred, was killed in action only ten months ago, and both parents have died within three years. The remaining brother is now on active service somewhere in France.

Perhaps the CWGC would like another grave to look after ...

Well done Phil

Would you be able to get a copy of the burial register please

Cheers

Chris

Well done Phil

Would you be able to get a copy of the burial register please

Cheers

Chris

This is the entry from the Berkshire Burial Index (Berks FHS):

Name: APPLEFORD Ernest

Date: 20 Feb 1917

Address: Cosham, Alexandra Hospital & Winterbourne.

Notes: military funeral

The original will have to wait until I am next in the Berkshire Record Office.

cheers Phil

Would I be able to pick your brains about a couple of possibles in Berks who are listed on Brookwood 14-18 Memorial

Cheers

Chris

Would I be able to pick your brains about a couple of possibles in Berks who are listed on Brookwood 14-18 Memoria

Feel free - not sure there is all that much to be 'picked'.

I went to Winterbourne today, and couldn't find a stone for Ernest Appleford, I suspect it would require a plot register and map to find the exact plot.

Phil

normally quite unusual for there to be a plot map for a churchyard but if there is that would be great

Will get in touch in the next few days about my other Berks possibles

Chris

I know of a few local churches that have some sort of map - so they can identify where vacant plots are etc - the only way to find out about Winterbourne is to ask.

• 2 months later...

I have heard from the chapelwarden at WInterbourne - they have no idea where Ernest Appleford's grave might be. :mellow: It looks like the best we can hope for is a 'Buried elsewhere in this churchyard.' stone.

Phil

in that case we will need the burial register page to get that done if you are able to do that

Chris

I am finally getting around to the record office and will get a print of the burial register for Ernest and a few others today.

However, I have also asked the chapelwarden if the church would be happy for a stone to be erected - I don't see any reason why not, but thought it would be sensible to ask. I await their response.

• 1 month later...

I have been informed that the Winterbourne PCC do not want a CWGC stone erected to mark Ernest's presence in their chapelyard. ...

Oh dear; wonder what makes them want to do that

Still there is not much we can do to reverse that decison

Thanks for letting us know Phil

Chris

Is there a reason why they do not want a CWGC marker, it seems a bit of a strange decision and a quite sad one to say the least, and i should imagine after all your hard work to gain his recognition you must be very disappointed, Geoff

• 1 year later...

Good news! Received an email today from the Chapelwarden at Winterbourne - they have changed their minds and would now like a stone for Ernest Appleford.

I'll post an image as and when - no idea how long it might take.

• 1 month later...
Guest Godfrey_Collyer

I have a great deal of information on Ernest Appleford including his death certificate as he was my grandfather's brother.

You have managed to find a great deal about him and I can confirm that the postcard photograph does in fact show Ernest.

The plan of the graveyard at St James the Less at Winterbourne is in such a mess that they have been unable to help me locate other family graves and was told that they had no idea where Ernest's grave was.

If I can be of help on any matter please do not hesitate to contact me.

The great War had a devastating effect on my grandfather's family.

I can assure you that he has not been forgotten as I place a wreath to his and his brother Alfred's memory on the Memorial at Winterbourne each Remembrance Day.

Good Evening Godfrey

Do you know the position of Ernest's grave at all?

Always nice when a relative gets in touch

Cheers

Chris