Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Bty RFA

pw643

1 Bty RFA, XLV Bde, 8th Div

A report held in 1st Bty History Room, written by Maj Bargh (Bty Commander) 27-28/05/1918

I went forward with a single gun on the evening of the 27th from LES VENTAUX and reported to CO 75th Inf Bde as ordered.

Enemy were advancing and about 8,30 pm machine gun fire came from wood just North of VENTELAY.

I took up a position on hill 160 and fired on this wood under orders from the Infantry Brigade General, also fired into ROUCY From 11pm until 3 am on the 28th.

Our Infantry retired about midnight to a line South of VENTELAY. I continued in action there until dawn about 4 am. Mounted patrols reported the enemy to be in COURBANDON and advancing towards BREWL. I retired south of the river crossing LES VENTAUX and came into actionon hill due North of N in VANDEUIL between 4-30am and 9 am on the 28th. I remained in action in this position and had excellent shooting.

The enemy advancing over Hill 160 and down the VENTELAY-MONTIGNY road. A hostile Battery attempted to come into action just west of this road. I engaged the same, knocked out one team and the remainder cleared away under cover. The enemy still continued to advance in parties of 80 and 100 in echelon formation and were engaged with excellent effect and continually dispersed.

A bout 9am my position was spotted and I was heavilly shelled. I then withdrew to a flank and got clear with one man wounded.

I had excellent shooting on the enemy advancing down the valley into LES VENTAUX.

I then took up a position on Hill 220 and again had good shooting on the enemy advancing to JONCHERY.

No transport or cavalry were seen but the enemy infantry advancing in parties of 50 or so were engaged with good effect particularly about the farm due North of JONCHERY.

I next took up position just west of CHATEAU PRIN when I was relieved about 8 pm 28th by Major Griffiths

I am researching the Battery History and I am looking for Maps in this area, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul