Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"ICT KNEE"

Jonathan Saunders

A BUFFS fatality I am researching was previously hospitalised (actually returned to Blighty) with a "ICT KNEE". Does anybody have any idea what this means or whether it was a wound in action or an unrelated injury.

If it is obvious I apologise but it has stumped me. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks Terry - I was thinking cartilage rather than an inflamation. It must have been some swelling as he was sent all the way home with this. Its strange but another fatality I have been researching also got a blighty ticket after being shot in the little finger. You wouldn't credit what was regarded as serious enough to be returned home and what wasn't. Thanks again.

Signals

It was often the practice to ship home all lightly wounded/injured in hospital prior to a major offensive so as free up the maximum number of beds.

Charles M

Signals

Talking of fingers....

My own grandfather had a finger shot off at Passchendaele in 1917 for which he was very grateful as he thought it was his 'Blighty One'. However, they patched him up & kept him there - and they fined him a day's pay for losing his rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, had the bullet been a little to one side, he would have 'bought it' and I would not be here typing this!!!! Ah, the Fickle Finger of Fate.

Charles - thanks for yr comment regarding the lightly wounded.

Terry - I think we all have a similar tale to tell, either a lucky escape or a change of circumstance through an untimely war death. Either way its why we are here right now!!?

A BUFFS fatality I am researching was previously hospitalised (actually returned to Blighty) with a "ICT KNEE". Does anybody have any idea what this means or whether it was a wound in action or an unrelated injury.

If it is obvious I apologise but it has stumped me. Many thanks in advance.

A doctor who is also a WW1 historian says:

"ICT Knee. I have not come across that particular acronym before but it

must stand for Internal Cruciate Tear of the Knee. There are two sets of

ligament to keep the knee joint stable, the internal ones which are

anterior and posterior and which cross over, hence their name, and the

external collateral ligaments, medial and lateral, which hold the joint

together from the sides.

An internal ligamentous tear is a major disturbance to the stability of the

knee joint which is an upper roller joint (the lower end of the femur),

which rolls in one plane on a lower flat plate (the upper end of the tibia).

During WW1 surgery was not very effective for an internal cruciate tear and

the soldier would be left with a major and permanent instability of the

knee, probably having to wear a metal brace to walk."

Thanks again Tom but this explanation sounds too serious (although still possible I guess) as he was fit to return to France. Sadly wounded again (Feb 17), this time a gun shot wound to his lower back. He was evacuated to UK but his wound was infected by tetnus and he died after about 10 days.

The problem with abbreviations is that they are really only understood by the writer. 'ICT' seems to be used commonly in service records, particularly when describing feet, and refers to 'Inflamed Connective Tissue' - more commonly known as plantar fasciitis - very commonly caused by marching, or more marching than normal. Whether this can also refer to the knee is debateable, but perhaps was a quick and easy way for a MO to describe a condition that he could not otherwise diagnose without X-Ray etc.

Regards

Sue