Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Obviously RFA

chris basey

Can anyone suggest details that can be read from this picture. Is there significance in the light coloured lanyard on the left shoulder?

post-702-1184344372.jpg

The lanyard ussually holds a clasp knife with an implement for removing obstructions from horses hooves. It is ussually evidence of the subject in the photo being a mounted soldier. However in this instance the spurs and riding breeches already confirm this.

I am interested how you have identified it as being RFA and not RHA or indeed the mounted element of RGA.

(as I understand it RHA and RFA were considered as mounted troops and were thus equipped whereas only mounted troops in RGA were)

If the tunic helps to date the photograph then I have an almost identical one of my grandfather, he didn't join up until October 1916 and I've always believed it was taken in training, before he went to France in January 1917.

Keith

Can anyone suggest details that can be read from this picture. Is there significance in the light coloured lanyard on the left shoulder?

Hi, is that a triangle battle patch at the top of his sleeve ? I think it is, if so, 310 Brigade, Royal Field Artillery wore a blue triangle. 312 Brigade, R.F.A. yellow triangle. 62 Divisionel Ammunition Column, black triangle. Hope this helps, John

Just because I felt like it......here is a "cleaned up" version of the photo

Brian

Many thanks for all the replies - especially Brian for that super cleanup.

We now find that he was born in 1875 and was a Postman in 1901 so not a suitable subject for this Forum!