Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Albert PALMER 3rd Bn East Yorks Reg

Sarah_L

I have recently found that my ancestor Albert Palmer from Sheffield was in service during WW1. However I cannot find anything about the 3rd Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment apart from that it was a regular reserve battalion. Is there anyone who knows where they were based during the war or has any other information.

On the cwgc site I have found Albert's death on 29 Sep 1917 aged 39 which also seems to have been registered in Ecclesall, Sheffield on BMD index. He was buried in Sheffield's Burngreave Cemetery & commemorated on the screen wall. I am not sure what all this means to the circumstances of his death so any ideas are welcome.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Hi

I've had a look in Soldiers Died and he doesn't feature there. He does have a medal card which might give some information it's here.. Probably his death certificate would give some clues.

Good luck

David

3rd Btn didnt go overseas during ww1

Id guess he was wounded , trnasferred to 3rd, discharged due to wounds, died and therefore isnt in soldiers died

Sarah

There were 2 War Hospitals in Sheffield in WW1 who received wounded from the Western Front.

If you look again at your subject's CWGC entry and click on the cemetery you will get a description of the situation then, and if you click on cemetery reports at bottom left you will get an idea of the casualties buried there.

It is possible that your man was transferred to a line battalion and was shipped back wounded,but as Coldstreamer says he does not appear in SDGW. It is also possible that he was a victim of the great Flu epidemic which swept Europe in 1917-18,and this may explain why he is not entered in SDGW.

THere may be other explanations to come from more knowledgeable than I,but in any case,as I am going to the NA on 17 July I will try to make time to see if I can find his papers,but can't promise for sure.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

hi sarah

i took the libery of downloading alberts mic because i am researching sheffield soldiers died ww1.

sorry i cant post it up as i dont know how to!!

heres what it says though

DATE OF DISCHARGE - 22/9/16

ENLISTED - 11/8/15

CAUSE OF DISCHARGE - PAGE? 392 XVI - K.R. SICKNESS.

ACTION TAKEN - LIST D/597

as has already been said 3rd bn didn't go overseas during the war, i think that Albert didn't also as there is no record on his card for a medal entitlement. if my interpretation is wrong then im sure some one will be along and put it right.

hope this helps

Dean

just another thought as has been said again, i think that if a casualty died at home the death cert does state the actual cause of death.

Thank you everyone for the help & special thanks to Dean for getting Albert's MIC, it has been a big help. So it seems so far that Albert never went abroad and was discharged early through sickness so will his papers reveal much if this is the case? I'm not sure what the code for action taken is supposed to mean, perhaps someone can tell me if it contains anything more. But to me it seems that after he was discharged he returned home to Sheffield. Perhaps if his death was reported in the Sheffield newspapers it may contain more details than the death certificate, I will have to take a look in the library and hopefully I'll find something. I did finally find some details about the battalion. They stayed at the Humber Garrison throughout the war providing reinforcements and defending the Lincolnshire coast.

Sarah

your welcome Sarah

i now think that the CAUSE OF DISCHARGE should read - Para 392 xvi - Kings Regulations.

Dean

Sarah

Not a good day at the NA today,I had very little success in my various searchings. I am sorry to say that there is no trace of a Pte Albert PALMER 19810 in the microfilm spools WO363/P539 and 540.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Ah never mind, thanks for looking Sotonmate. At least I know now. I hope I find something in the newspapers about him then, it would be nice to find out a bit more about him. His life is a mystery from 1891 to WW1. I must get around to going soon.

Thanks, Sarah