Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army: Supply and Transport Corps

Simon_Fielding

I've never researched anything on the Indian Army before. Does anyone know what I can access on this officer in the UK? Would his papers be at the PRO or are they 'India Office' documents? Is there much web based material?

Regards

Simon

Major Richard STANLEY- BAKER Burma MT died India 13/11/18 Indian Army Reserve of Officers attached to Supply and Transport Corps

 Aged 36

 The husband of Irene Stanley-Baker of Four Winds, Westward Ho!, Devon

 Rawalpindi War Cemetery, Pakistan

 2.G.3

• 2 years later...

Simon,

Sorry no-one ever replied to this. However the answers are not good.

1) Any papers would be at the British Library not NA.

2) I expect you will find virtually zilch. They have some ledgers of IARO officers which may mention what he was doing before he was comissioned but at best a couple of lines. He would not have any surviving 'officers papers' as you may find the NA.

Sorry,

Matthew B.

• 6 years later...

Simon, I'm researching a man who was a sergeant with the Supply & Transport Corps, enlisted in Rawalpindi. His record is available on ancestry.co.uk so it's maybe worth you looking there for a record. You could also make sure FIBIS doesn't have any information on their database (www.fibis.org).

Simon,

Isee, from another online site, that you have amassed a fair amount of biographical detail on MJR. STANLEY-BAKER.

I have nothing to add to your latest posting but I did see the basic details of his will listed on ANCESTRY.

He worked before the War in the INDIAN PUBLIC WORKS DEPT. BURMA. His effects amounted to £5127 12s. 9d.

Did you receive my last email covering the Bewdley War Memorial?

Regards,

corona.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the feedback - corona, I hope I replied to you - please PM me if not...

Simon