Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRO

nshighlander

nshighlander,

The info from the PRO will that give info on the pilot such as planes he spent time on.

We have something of a Chicken & Egg situation here - you need to know which squadron(s) your pilot was in to find details of the aircraft he flew. At the PRO you will find the squadron daily operations records (if they exist) that will give you the type and serial number of all aircraft used by your pilot whilst on operation flying.

If you want details of ALL aircraft flown by your pilot (training and operational), you will need his flying log book - better off trying the RAF museum, the Fleet Air Arm Museum, the IWM, and the Liddle Collection at Leeds University for these. Be warned, not many have survived, and like medals, often end up with private collectors.

It might be a good idea to see if the museums can tell you anything about your pilot before you invest time at the PRO

Also if he was post to a sqn

I suppose your best bet is to start with the Air76 microfilms or the ADM273 ledgers (for RNAS) - these will give you dates of birth, next of kin, address etc., details of postings to training establishments, promotions, and sometimes details of postings to squadrons.

Then, the Air Force List or Navy List (for RNAS) for the appropriate time period will get you details of operational postings. These books are not limited to the PRO, and can even be purchased (if you can find copies).

The PRO publishes some leaflets which can be found on-line, these will help you to determine just where you should look for the information you need.

Mike

THANKS FOR THE HELP.I have one problem.I`m trying to get info on this guy from the PRO but have had no luck.He is an F CDT thats all the RFC info I have on him.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Andrew

I`ve had post before in the PRO section but no luck.

F CDT Roderick McDonald Richards 316200.He was wounded at Vimy with the 85CEF.Got out of the 85th tranfs to the RFC.A lady in town gave me his medals along with his bothers(Pte Joseph Richards) medals who was KIA Cambrai.I would love to get the info from the PRO to give to her.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Ahh, now if you had stopped with just plain Roderick McDonald I could have helped you!

Have you actually been to the PRO, or have you tried to get PRO staff to find information on RM Richards?

Mike

Hi Mike

I live in Nova Scotia Canada.So going to the PRO is a no go for me.I have all his 85th info now .So all I need is his RFC info.How hard is it to get the staff at the PRO to do a look up(does it cost alot)?This lady has been great to me.The stuff she gave me was unreal.Pictures and postcards, buttons plus some 85th stuff that is very hard to find.So I would love to do something for her.I plan on giving to the town (all my research after I`m gone).So thats where I`m at right now.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

as far as I know its impossible to get the PRO staff to do anything for you. You need to find someone who's visiting to look the material up for you, or, pay a professional researcher to dig the info out - I presume they charge by the hour.

mike