Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CMB Chapman

Michael

I've taken at a look Chapman's service record in the hope of discovering the circumstances of his death. Unfortunatley it only mentions that he died of wounds while with 29 Squadron on 1/10/17.

His MC was won with the RFC in 1916 and the citation reads;

For conspicuous gallantry and skill in

action against hostile aeroplanes. On one

occasion he attacked three L.V.G.'s and one

Fokker, shooting the latter down. Later,

during an air battle with eleven enemy

machines, he brought another Fokker down.

What is an LGV ?

Can anyone fill in the gaps for me please

Michael

Major Charles Meredith Bouverie Chapman served with Nos 24 and 29 Squadrons RFC after transferring from the East Kents in July 1915. As a pilot with No 24 Sqn , flying DH2s, he was credited with victories on 22 June 1916 (LVG), 14 July (Fokker E type) and 20 July (Fokker E type). For these actions he was awarded the MC.

In 1917 he joined No 29 Sqn as a Captain and Flight Commander, flying Nieuport Scouts - in July 1917 he was promoted to Major and Squadron Commander. His victories with No 29 Sqn were all Albatros D.IIIs: 11 May; 4 June; 27 June anmd 17 September. During this period he became a Chevalier of the Belgian Order of Leopold.

He died of injuries on received on 1 October 1917 after a German bombing raid on No 29 Sqn's aerodrome at Poperinghe.

His brother, Lt William Wetherall Chapman, an observer with No 22 Sqn, was killed in action over Menin on 7 October 1917, (the day after Major Chapman's funeral) with his pilot Lt J C Bush, in Bristol Fighter A7280. The victory was credited to Leutnant Hans Gottfried von Haebler of Jasta 36 - it was the first of his eventual eight victories before being shot down and killed by anti-aircraft fire on 22 March 1918.

LVGs were a series of German two seat general purpose aircraft made by the firm Luft-Verkers Gesellschaft. The one encountered by [then] Lt Chapman in 1916 was probably a C.II.

I hope this helps.

Dolphin

Guest Pete Wood

Chapman was a good friend and CO of of Lt Walter Bertram Wood - see http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...6195&hl=bertram

29 Squadron flew DH2s, in the period that Chapman was there. These were later exchanged for Nieuport 17s.

Chapman is mentioned a few times in the book, written about Walter Wood (and his sibling, Ted), called "Two Soldier Brothers." I can scan/post some info if you wish.

Pete Wood

Dolphin

Thanks for the time and effort in posting the info, it is much appreciated.

Pete

If you come across the references I'd be grateful for some scans

Thanks again guys

Michael