Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Langemarck Rolling Barrage

H.Baker

I thought the attached might be of interest to members who, like me, are interested in the Second Phase of Third Ypres

It is a British Artillery Map showing the planned advancement of the 29th Division's rolling barrage (in 5 minute intervals) to the north west of Langemarck on 16th August 1917 - with two pauses on the first and second objectives and eventual curtain of fire just beyond the final objective.

If anybody has any maps / images of the action around Langemarck on 16th August 1917 which they could share with me I would be very grateful.

Regards

Huw Baker

post-22599-1184108232.jpg

Terrific, Huw. Very interesting. From the British perspective, the most detailed map of the action would come from McCarthy's book on the day-by-day account of Third Ypres. I will look out the equivalent area.

Robert

Huw, that's a SUPER map. I've been searching for something similar for some time.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Thanks Huw. My Grandfather was with 232 SB (40HAG) at that time, he was firing towards the left of the blue line. He transferred to 196 SB in October and was then positioned near Ruisseau Farm, just left of the railway. Could I be cheeky and ask if you could let me have a high definition copy by e-mail?

Best reagrds,

Norman

Thanks Huw. My Grandfather was with 232 SB (40HAG) at that time, he was firing towards the left of the blue line. He transferred to 196 SB in October and was then positioned near Ruisseau Farm, just left of the railway. Could I be cheeky and ask if you could let me have a high definition copy by e-mail?

Best reagrds,

Norman

No problem Norman - I am afraid I am going to be out of the country on business for a few days but when I get back I will be happy to send you a high def'n copy plus some associated barrage notes which I have which you may find interesting

Regards

Huw Baker

That will be fine, thanks very much. If you are passing by Erlangen, Germany, drop in for a glass!

Made a boo boo on the HAG number, 232 were with 93 HAG. 196 were with 40 HAG. I have a copy

of the war diary for 196 for August 1917, with some attachments specific to the 16th, if you would

like a copy of the file let me know.

Best regards,

Norman

Thank you David, it all helps to build up a wider picture. I was in this area in April following in my Grandfathers footsteps.

Best regards,

Norman

• 1 month later...

Norman and David

The Australian War Mmorial as part of their Flanders Fields 1917 exhibition have put the barrage map online as a downloadable high defination pdf file (a bit over 2mb so I cant post it here). this is the URL for it

http://blog.awm.gov.au/1917/wp-content/upl...nde_barrage.pdf

There are also other maps from 1917 here

http://blog.awm.gov.au/1917/?cat=23

Tim

Belter.

Good old Oz.

Thanks for the heads-up, Tim

SMJ

I also have the artillery maps and others maps for 4th October 1917, Battle of Broodseinde - attack on Poelcappelle.

They come from the Brigade Battle plans for 33rd Infantry Brigade.

Stevem